Sidux 2008-04 is out

sunrat

Yes folks, the totally awesome Sidux has a new release. :"> Release notes.Looks like heaps of new hardware support including recent wireless chips, new svg artwork and heaps more.Downloading now, 1.9Gb dvd in half an hour - 1.1 Mb/s! :hysterical: Love cable. :wub:DVD is amd64 and i686 together. Also available in much smaller KDE-lite 456Mb and Xfce 390Mb versions for amd64 and slightly smaller for i686 versions. All versions can run live and install. :whistling:

Edited by sunrat

Looks great . . . and being based on Debian you really can't go wrong ! :hysterical: Seems like a good one for all those people having problems with their wireless cards. From the Release Notes :

# iwlwifi support (3945 and 4965 chipsets).# iwlagn support for the IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n part of the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5xxxAGN family.# ath5k support for 54/ "108" MBit/s Atheros wlan cards (AR2425, AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5213 and AR5414).# ath9k support for 802.11 draft-n Atheros wlan cards (AR5418+AR5133, AR5416+AR5133, AR5416+AR2133, AR9160, AR9280 and AR9281).# b43/ b43legacy support for Broadcom wlan cards.# support for RealTek RTL8180L and RTL8185 PCI/ cardbus wlan cards.# support for RealTek RTL8187 and RTL8187B USB wlan cards.# support for ADMtek ADM8211 PCI/ cardbus wlan cards.
( please read the full notes so you do know what to apt-get for you particular card !! ):whistling: Bruno

Wishes.png

sidux2008-04desk1-tn.pngNice wallpaper. :) It has VBox Guest Additions built in too (Acadia ;) )Everything works fine in VBox so far in my limited test - desktop resize, USB, clipboard share, internets. Snappier and much faster boot than *buntuz. Theme is KDE default, but then Sidux is 99% Debian default. "Pretty" is up to you. B) Coming up EeePC test! ;) BTW xs.to was snail slow so testing www.dropfiles.net for images. Looks good so far.

Very interesting ( almost spooky :) ). I am running it in VB and I noticed a little US icon ( the KDE keyboard tool ) beside the sound icon ( Kmixer ). I clicked on it and the CA icon appeared and allow me to type in French. How did it know? Did it get the info from the OS host ( PCLinuxOS ) ?It's amazing how everything is there, VBox, KSnapshot, etc. ( yes even .etc ;) ).I couldn't find Firefox ( it opens Konqueror by default ) but notice an icon at the bottom left next to the Home icon that says Generic web browser ( in fact it is Iceweasel which is good enough for me ).Unfortunately some plugins and codecs are missing so I cannot listen to my local radio ( CBC ) or watch last night news ( on CBC also ) and Kmix doesn't see any mixer or soundcard.

Edited by réjean

. . . and Kmix doesn't see any mixer or soundcard.
Did you maybe forget to activate the sound when setting up the virtualmachine for Sidux ? ( in the VBox config ):) Bruno

Wishes.png

Oops! My wrong Bruno! :) I'll go to my room!One thing I really like is that I can move from Sidux ( in VBox ) to PCLinuxOS without having to click on the right-ctrl all the time. Big improvement.

Edited by réjean

thanks bruno...i'll figure out how to do that. i have so many adblocking filters it's hard to tell what others may see. government internet censors are asking me for advice on how to block stuff, lol. ;) looks like the upgrade went well. i saw something about pulling the artwork. huh? do i need to do that? if so, how?http://www.sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-...ht-upgrade.html

It has VBox Guest Additions built in too (Acadia ;) )
Excellent, thank you. I shall perhaps add that one to the list of those that I want to try. Wanted to restart trying again today with Mandriva but got too darn busy again, perhaps tomorrow. And any others distros that you pros think would be good for a newb ... oops, I mean for me ;) , please let me know, I'm willing to try them all! Thanks again to all of you.Acadia

I couldn't find Firefox ( it opens Konqueror by default ) but notice an icon at the bottom left next to the Home icon that says Generic web browser ( in fact it is Iceweasel which is good enough for me ).Unfortunately some plugins and codecs are missing so I cannot listen to my local radio ( CBC ) or watch last night news ( on CBC also ) and Kmix doesn't see any mixer or soundcard.
Both these points can be explained by the fact that Sidux is Debian sid with a few lovingly crafted additions to make it more stable and user-friendly. Therefore it only contains Free Open Source software.Iceweasel is Firefox with a different name to get around non-compatible Mozilla Licence. Silly, yes I know. ;) Non-free codecs are not included. These can be installed by enabling the debian-multimedia repository for sid (instructions down the page. Get the keyring too) and apt-get (or Synaptic) w32codecs.Also I notice that your screenshot actually has the 2008-3 wallpaper, not 2008-4 as in my post. Are you sure you got the right iso? The DVD is called sidux-2008-04-pontos-kde-full-i386-amd64-200812222147.iso@Bruno. The image example in your post still opens a web page. Roger ;)

Also I notice that your screenshot actually has the 2008-3 wallpaper, not 2008-4 as in my post. Are you sure you got the right iso?
i didn't dl 04, i upgraded 03. looks like an extra step is required to get the 04 artwork when upgrading.bruno's thumbnail worked the first time i clicked it for me but now it is definitely redirecting or something.

bruno's thumbnail worked the first time i clicked it for me but now it is definitely redirecting or something.
Fixed it again . . . . but 4shared.com does not seem to like us avoiding their webpage :PB) Bruno

Wishes.png

i didn't dl 04, i upgraded 03. looks like an extra step is required to get the 04 artwork when upgrading.
A-ha! ;) I've been running Sidux for a few releases now and never did work out how to pull in the new artwork. ;) Must investigate.