Lycoris 3.0

quint

Hi all,Just when I thought ELX Linux was the easiest to install, along comes Lycoris 3.0 rc0:LycorisYes, this post is coming to you from the aforementioned. :D It's almost "un-nerving", how simple this distro is. ;) If I may "go out on a limb", I actually believe that this distro is easier than a "LiveCD", (or as easy). B) From putting the CD in the tray, installing, setting-up(?), and composing this message, took a grand total of 26 minutes! :) Unbelievable...but true.Impressions: not quite as polished as some, better than others, definitely geared toward "Linux Immigration". B) Or is it "Windows Emigration"? :D If you are looking for a "challenge", you'll not find it here. :o However, if you're looking for a Linux install that you can "cat-nap" through - this be your flavor. ;) It comes with Mozilla 1.3.1; several other programs, etc., supposed to be compatible with MS Word documents, sufficient games, the settings/configuring is reminiscent of XP, all that I have investigated thusfar works, and is a very sensible mix of apps. :) It is definitely worth a "look", if for nothing else, to experience the simplest installation in the Linux Kingdom! :) Let me make an attempt at humor: Installing Slack is like surgery; installing Lycoris 3.0 is like blinking. ;)

How much HD space did it take up?
trigggl,Welcome. ;) It took up less than 1GB; currently it is just one CD to d/l, and after the unpackaging, it installs everything it has to your hdd - no package selection. B) What I surmise from this, so far, is that if Lycoris can accomplish this "do nothing" install...any distro can - the questions and repercussions will present themselves, I am sure. Enjoy, if you do the install...I will try to post a screenshot soon. ;)

;) actually, very slick idea. make a distro geared towards Windows crowd. love how they made the background / icon layout virtually the same. not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're migrating from winXP, you should be able to get handle on linux quickly with this distro.

LOLIf you look real...real close...........you can see Bill Gates & Steve Balmer having a picnic lunch under the grove of trees! ;) Bill to Steve "I see storm clouds brewing".

Well it's caldra based (at least I think it is..somebody correct me if wrong)...which is now SCO...hmmm...but from what I read they have permission...LOL

Well it's caldra based (at least I think it is..somebody correct me if wrong)...which is now SCO...hmmm...but from what I read they have permission...LOL
Thanks for the info, Barry - interesting... ;)

Quint,Glad you tested it . . . . though I B) this screenshot, hope they have other backgrounds included . . ;) :DTell us, how much % is this really Linux ? Does it work with the same directory structure, does it have root and normal users . . . . a console and bash prompt ?Wiil it listen to the ¨normal¨ commands like mount and umount ?;) Bruno

Quint,Glad you tested it . . . . though I  B)  this screenshot, hope they have other backgrounds included . . :blink: :DTell us, how much % is this really Linux ? Does it work with the same directory structure, does it have root and normal users . . . . a console and bash prompt ?Wiil it listen to the ¨normal¨ commands like mount and umount ?;) Bruno
Hi Bruno,Yes, they have other "wallpapers" - all of them look like they came from Webshots; it is, indeed, Linux, but made to look exactly like WinXP. B) There is no "home" icon on the desktop, but I guess it could be created; it does have pretty much the same "directory structure", though; yes there are console and prompts; it recognizes "mount" & "umount"; but I've found something I don't care for: trying to install Shockwave Flashplayer - it returns an error that says the "glibc" files need to be updated! :) Oh well, this one is not a "keeper status" for me...but I still cannot get over the install. B)

Glad you tested it . . . . though I  ;)  this screenshot, hope they have other backgrounds included . . B) :blink:
what's the matter, bruno? too 'green' for you? would you prefer ice background instead? B)

Nooooo Quint, you can´t be serious !! Don´t believe you . . you did a job in The Gimp, did you ??B) Bruno

Nooooo Quint, you can´t be serious !!  Don´t believe you . . you did a job in The Gimp, did you ??B) Bruno
Yes, the Gimp is included...thank goodness; perhaps this is "closer to home". :blink: FSLO-1059764286-591268.jpg

quit, please stop ;) you're killing bruno. he's losing all hope for society B) B) :blink: i'm gonna have to get this distro to see for myself. but i too think Quint is pulling an April Fool's Joke on August 1st. B)

quit, please stop  B) you're killing bruno.  he's losing all hope for society  :) B)  ;) i'm gonna have to get this distro to see for myself.  but i too think Quint is pulling an April Fool's Joke on August 1st.  :blink:
Prelude76 - "Scout's Honor". B) rckwll_best.jpg

Lycoris looks like a spy from Redmond. quick, we must take pre-emptive action! let's rename this forum to "All Things Linux --- except Lycoris" B)

Lycoris looks like a spy from Redmond.  quick, we must take pre-emptive action!  let's rename this forum to "All Things Linux --- except Lycoris"  ;)
B) B) :blink: Good one! B)

Yes, they have other "wallpapers" - all of them look like they came from Webshots; it is, indeed, Linux, but made to look exactly like WinXP. :blink:
I think I have this figured out. They are designed to look like XP so that you can fool people in the office to think that you are using XP and not running Linux! B) How smart!

Lycoris looks like a spy from Redmond. quick, we must take pre-emptive action! ..l
You have no idea how close you are :)Lycoris used to be known as Redmond Linux, later they changed to Lycoris.For a while config files, etc.. had all the references to "Redmond Linux" even though it was named Lycoris.This was year or so ago when I tested it first time.I remember being confused why Redmond when the name was Lycoris??After short research I found out the history of it.:)

Hi Julia,In Mandrake and other major distros, isn't there (in the desktop/appearance part of MCC) a "style" that is called "Redmond"? :) I seem to recall seeing that....maybe it was RedHat, or SuSE, or Slack, or... :)

Julia quote:

I think I have this figured out. They are designed to look like XP so that you can fool people in the office to think that you are using XP and not running Linux!  How smart!
There's that "foot in the door..." :)

QuintIt must have been Slack. I have seen it and I have not done RedHat or SuSe so it must have been Slack or Mandrake. I still don't know why anyone would want to try to fake M...... I wouldn't.... :)

QuintIt must have been Slack. I have seen it and I have not done RedHat or SuSe so it must have been Slack or Mandrake.
Thank you, Julia...guess senility still has not taken hold of me! :)edit: CONGRATS !!! Julia Our new "Posting Prodigy"....and also belatedly to Bruno, the first "Discussion Deity". B) :) :) :)