Snow Storm here in Chi-town

Tushman

How many of you guys enjoy the winter season? As a former Michigander I never thought the cold would ever get to me..... Well, Chicago has worn out my tolerance on many levels. After living here for 10 years, I'm getting really sick and tired of the bitter freezing cold. As I sit here typing this post, we are getting clobbered this morning. We had our first snow fall about 2 weeks ago, but this is our first official storm. I'm looking out the window and I'm so glad I don't have anywhere to be. There are sheets of snow coming down really hard and it's mixed with snow blowing sideways. Nasty stuff.Are there any members from the warm climate states that wouldn't mind taking on a roommate for the next 3 months? ;)

Edited by Tushman

How many of you guys enjoy the winter season? As a former Michigander I never thought the cold would ever get to me..... Well, Chicago has worn out my tolerance on many levels. After living here for 10 years, I'm getting really sick and tired of the bitter freezing cold. As I sit here typing this post, we are getting clobbered this morning. We had our first snow fall about 2 weeks ago, but this is our first official storm. I'm looking out the window and I'm so glad I don't have anywhere to be. There are sheets of snow coming down really hard and it's mixed with snow blowing sideways. Nasty stuff.Are there any members from the warm climate states that wouldn't mind taking on a roommate for the next 3 months? ;)
Sure! Come on down to N.O. where it is warm. Edited by lewmur

lewmur, thanks for Satchmo!I took up skiing because I hated winter and it was my way to survive!Today we are having sleet, freezing rain and rain - no snow. You can't get to a ski slope safely in what is on the roads.So can we send some of this ice and snow up to the Artic to help improve the ice shelf there?

lewmur, thanks for Satchmo!I took up skiing because I hated winter and it was my way to survive!Today we are having sleet, freezing rain and rain - no snow. You can't get to a ski slope safely in what is on the roads.So can we send some of this ice and snow up to the Artic to help improve the ice shelf there?
Actually, that snow was from last week. This was today B)http://www.nola.com/

Greetings from South Florida. You can stay for 3 months now if you pay June, July and August's electric bills.
Ah yes, there will always be some trade-offs eh? Well I don't envy your electricity bill (mine is large enough thank you Mr. ComEd, bend be over, take my wallet, and laugh all the way to the bank with your multi-million dollar salary <jerk>). Here in Chitown our summers can get very very muggy (thank God its only for 3 months) so I do share a bit of your agony there.... however, given the choice between ungodly cold temperatures and the warm climate -- the latter will win out every time with me especially on days like yesterday. If I had some money saved up and a car, I would get the heck out of dodge and move to SanFrancisco, Seattle, WA. or Portland, OR. I'm a big fan of milder temperatures. B) Edited by Tushman

The storms crossed the northeast last night messing up all kinds of travel. I could not make my connection last night, and will be tomorrow before I can fly home to visit my family for the holidays.Adam

Cluttermagnet

Winter has been merciful with us so far, praise be. The wood stove has been a delightful addition. It's been worth the considerable effort needed to get all the wood ready. I needed the exercise.

What's that like in real weather? :rolleyes:
About 82F in your weather. We have had metric system since about the mid 1960s so I tend to forget what "real" temperatures are.

Temperatures in OZ went metric on January 1, 1972. I remember because I was teaching in the Sydney area in 1971-1972. I have no trouble with most metric measurements because I was a maths teacher but the temps got me completely befuddled. The family I lived with helped me with this riddle:Temperate 20sTorrid 30sFiery 40sthat way I knew if I needed a jacket, a sweater or neither when I left the house for work. B) For those that need a quick way of figuring (not exact but it doesn't require a calculator the the C = 5/9(F - 32) version ) double the Celsius temperature and add 30.So ends today's math(s) lesson. :thumbsup:

Edited by zlim

• 1 month later...
How many of you guys enjoy the winter season? As a former Michigander I never thought the cold would ever get to me..... Well, Chicago has worn out my tolerance on many levels. After living here for 10 years, I'm getting really sick and tired of the bitter freezing cold. As I sit here typing this post, we are getting clobbered this morning. We had our first snow fall about 2 weeks ago, but this is our first official storm. I'm looking out the window and I'm so glad I don't have anywhere to be. There are sheets of snow coming down really hard and it's mixed with snow blowing sideways. Nasty stuff.Are there any members from the warm climate states that wouldn't mind taking on a roommate for the next 3 months? B)
I have lived in Chicago/and burbs my whole life. This is one of the coldest winters I can remember. We aren't the only ones getting this though. The weather is really going through upheavals, my friend in Seattle said they had so much ice a few weeks ago everythng was closed down. As they say, wait a few days and it will change. I didn't say for the better, but it will change. Wasn't Michigan cold? I thought they were colder than Chicago in the winter.

It has been bitter cold here in New Brunswick for the last week. I'm worried my deck is going to collapse if we get too much more snow. It is only -9 C right now so I guess maybe it is warmer than it has been. I'm sure glad I decided to stay home with the baby for awhile, I really don't want to go anywhere.

We're in the middle of a heatwave, temps from 38C to 45C (100F to 113F) and no air conditioning at my place.Please send some snow down here!
I would love to. However, it's really not the snow that bothers me so much. It is the bitter wind chill that gets to me. The kind that is bone freezing cold & slices through your coat and makes your entire body shiver. ;) If I had some money saved up and could move to another state, I would choose somewhere on the west coast with much more moderate temperatures. After spending most of my life in the winter states, I'm done!
I have lived in Chicago/and burbs my whole life. This is one of the coldest winters I can remember.
Us city dwellers retain more heat compared to the people in the near suburbs; and this winter has definitely been colder than ones in recent previous years.
Wasn't Michigan cold? I thought they were colder than Chicago in the winter.
Compared to Chicago, Michigan doesn't really compare in terms of the wind chill. Nowhere as much wind. Although I have to say it really depends on which part of Michigan you're talking about; I grew up in the lower peninsula and rarely experienced the kind of winters I've lived through here. For those who live far north (cities near Traverse City or even the upper peninsula), the winters there are quite brutal and probably outpace Chicago in terms of snow amounts.Just a tidbit of trivia for the non-chicagoans here. Chicago originally earned its name 'the windy city' because the politicians in this state were such notorious wind bags when they gathered annually in Washington DC that the nickname eventually stuck. Contrary to what most people think, it is not because of the constant windy conditions that surround the downtown area and nearby areas -- although the nickname aptly describes the weather. I believe (IMHO) it is brutal wind chill that puts Chicago near the top of the list compared to states like Minnesota.All I can say is - thank god we only have 2 more months of this. Edited by Tushman

We had a nice day in PA; temps in the 40's which is a heat wave. Unfortunately because it was so nice and sunny, the groundhog saw his shadow and we will have 6 more weeks of wretched weather!I spent close to two years in Australia spread out over several years and various trips. The first time I went was a 10 month stint to teach secondary maths. I loved Sydney. Everyone asked me why? I said because everyday you get up it is sunny and bright. You don't appreciate that unless you've spent December, January and February in one of the northern US states where the sun might not shine for days. I think I hate the grayness more than the cold.Last year, we were fortunate enough to go on a 13 day cruise to the Caribbean in February. What a bonus to enjoy sunshine and warm weather in February!Mark me down as enjoying winter if it only lasts about 2 weeks. B)