Dual Partitions.

Emulating Entropy

Emulating Entropy

I have no frigging clue how to do it. I want to make a dual-boot system of Windows XP and Linux. Every place I've looked at has "instructions" that are just analogies and graphs for retards who don't know why you need dual-boot.Please, someone give me actualy INSTRUCTIONS on how to do it.Thanks.

Hi Emulating EntropyWelcome to the Linux forum . . let´s hope we can help you here . . . I suggest we take little steps ( losts of post ) to get there., can you first tell me about your computer specs . . . and how much free space you have on your HD, and is that free space in a separate partition ?Then I´d like to know if you already have a Linux distro ( OS ) on CD ready for install. ( and what distro it is ):D Bruno

Emulating Entropy

No, I don't have one ready yet, though I can quickly (I have DSL, bwaha), I have a 37.2 GB HD, with 16.6 GB free. It's not partitioned seperately, that's my problem. I do not know how to do it using Windows XP.

Just get yourself the easiest distro: Mandrake . . . download it Here There are 3 ISO files to download and two text files . . get back to us when this is done . . :D:) BrunoPS I took a UK ftp-mirror . . dunno why but the hour you´re on-line tells me you come from there :D Anyway it does not make any difference what mirror you use . .

If you choose Mandrake for your download I know you don't need to worry about a partition utility. Mandrake will walk you through the partitioning as part of the installation. It is built into the Mandrake CD.Do you know which distro you want to use?

The fastest mirrors are usually the Dutch. It really does not matter where you download your distro. At this time of the day here there won't be too many folks downloading. ;)

Emulating Entropy

Well, that particular mirror would make it take over 18 hours to download each one even on DSL. So yea I would like another, please. ;)

Sorry previous post had a wrong link:Try this one Here I have to go to work and will be on line in 9 hours from now . . but Teacher will be able to help you as well if you get serious problems before that . . see you later ! ;) Bruno

Emulating Entropy

I tried Dutch and it would be 70 hours.So far the best one is Californian, and it will take at least 15+ hours.Talk to you tomorrow. Lol. ;)

I tried Dutch and it would be 70 hours.So far the best one is Californian, and it will take at least 15+ hours.Talk to you tomorrow. Lol. ;)
I have never heard of it taking that long. Your DSL connection must have some problems. I just went to the Dutch link and started a download. It said 1 hour and 11 minutes for disk 1. It usually takes a few minutes to settle down to a speed. Hope the Californian one works for you. If not, you can always cruise down to a mainstream bookstore and look at the Linux magazines. The June issue of LinuxFormat had Mandrake 9.1 - three CDs in it. Last week I was in a city and they still had a copy on the shelves. The first two CDs are all you need to do an install. The third adds some extras but is not critical to an install. Once you have your download, do you know how to do a sum check on the file and create an ISO image CD? These were new areas to me and a lot depends upon what program you use to burn CDs. Of course, this could be old hat to you.

Emulating Entropy
do you know how to do a sum check on the file
No.
create an ISO image CD?
I do it all the time, lol.*Emulator geek*;)

This is the tip that tells how to do a sum check in Windows. I assume that is the operating system you are currently using. That should give you the basics. A sum check helps verify the integrity of the download and make sure there are no errors in the copy you create. I have found that it really is worthwhile to do this first because otherwise you can make coasters and not get anywhere. I think all Linux distros come with a sum check to verify the integrity from your download.

Emu, Once you have finished downloading . . . . : The checksum is a thing that can be done in Windows . . works like any Windows program so you should be fine there ! :) Get pthasher from Karen Kenworthy's Website Read the helpfile and do the checksum . . . . the numbers you get from this should be exactly the same as the ones you see in the textfile you did download from the mirror "md5sums.91.asc" . . . The checksum ( md5sum ) checks the integrity of the ISOs you downloaded . . if one of them does not match you will have to download that particular ISO again, the numbers have to match. B) Next question: what CD burning program do you have ? Nero is the best and easiest . . . B) Bruno * just hold on we're nearly there !

Guest ThunderRiver

You know you don't need the whole 3 CDs to install Mandrake. and stop complaining about taking too much time to download. You are on DSL, so accept with what you paid for.If you have soo much problem with it, you should instead try Knoppix Linux Live CD. At least with Live CD, you can tell if you truly want to use Linux on your daily basis without dealing with partitioning. Lastly, find the link yourself...that's the least minimum you can do on your own.

Emulating Entropy
what CD burning program do you have ? Nero is the best and easiest . . .
I have Nero, but mostly I use CloneCD. I'm going to make them now.

Nero works great for this but if you know the other works for it, go for it. Let us know how it is going. Make sure you do the checksum first.

Did your copy work okay? If no from the tipst:

In windows with Nero:file --> burn CD image ( don´t use that stupid wizard ! )If after burning you can see a lot of files ( README *tip ! ) and directories you´ll know your CD is fine !If after burning you see only one file; the downloaded.iso you´ve clearly done something wrong and can use the CD as a coaster !
and
ISO´s and MD5SUM ( checksum )For those of you that never came near to linux, here is a description how to download your first Linux ISO, and check its integrety.For the ones already running Linux: Imagine, one day you get bored with your current distro and you want to try something else. Or, you´ve got enough HD space and want to triple-boot. Or, and this is more likely to happen; there is a new version of your disto hitting the mirrors : You start downloading the ISO´sAfter downloading you can check the integrity of the ISO-file with a checksum, the md5sum. The mirror will offer you a separate text file to download with a 128 bit string of characters. This string has to be exactly the same as the one you get when you do:< md5sum downloaded.iso > ( sure you have to ¨cd¨ to that directory first or do /home/bruno/tmp/downloaded.iso )Creating the checksum will take a few minutes.Usually I only check the first and the last 5 or 6 characters of the string.The checksum can be done in windows too: see page 11 of The Tips ¨Checksum in Windows¨Once you are sure the ISO is O.K. you can burn it to a CD.WARNING: Doing the checksum to check your CD will give you a different string !
This is the tip.

Emulating Entropy

Okay, I burned the CDs just fine, the checksums came out all okay, but after installing Linux I was unable to use my cable modem, it keeps making the default connection my Ethernet card (which just came with my computer). I use a USB external modem, does anyone know how I can get it to recognize that? It already comes up in hardware management under "Unknown Devices", and I've already tried connection manager. Any words of advice? Or am I going to have to start from scratch?

EmuAn USB modem . . that could be a problem, is it DSL or dial-in ? What brand are we taliking about ?:blink: BrunoPS: Glad the install went well :D

Well, some of them could be ¨hacked¨ to make them work . . but you have to know the brand an type . . . . ¨unknown device¨ does not sound very promissing though. :(A DLS ethernet modem however, would give no problems at all, since your ethernetcard is already detected ! :angry::rolleyes: Bruno