Report Problems with IPB 2.3.5 Upgrade, Please!

Scot

Scot ... in my situation .. this is what I came up with when I was in "standard text editor mode" all that I could get when I clicked on the tags I wanted were the open/close brackets for the individual selections (just like the old days) but when I would start to make the entry .. my selections had no effect ... when I switched to the "rich text editor mode" .. everything changed ... when I made the selections I no longer got the "brackets" and the selection was good to go .. .. the only tags I tried were "bold, font, size and color" and then those finally worked for me and I got the desired results ... HTHBambi ... I spoke to soon .. this is my first visit today and once again I still had to log in in order to make posts ..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Scot

• striker

• mlangdn

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LilBambi
Scot ... in my situation .. this is what I came up with when I was in "standard text editor mode" all that I could get when I clicked on the tags I wanted were the open/close brackets for the individual selections (just like the old days) but when I would start to make the entry .. my selections had no effect ... when I switched to the "rich text editor mode" .. everything changed ... when I made the selections I no longer got the "brackets" and the selection was good to go .. .. the only tags I tried were "bold, font, size and color" and then those finally worked for me and I got the desired results ... HTH
You can also use rte-switch-editor.png image to the right to switch between the standard and richtext editors. That's what I do, so I can get full benefit of each type as needed. :P
Bambi ... I spoke to soon .. this is my first visit today and once again I still had to log in in order to make posts ..
Hey Dale, I thought you did Bruno's suggestion earlier that you thought fixed that, but did you try the following that I posted on the previous topic page?
Dale, might want to remove the cookies for Scot's Newsletter Forum, or on the main page of the forums, click "Delete cookies set by this board" link that's to the right above the Board Statistics at the bottom. That will likely allow you to sign in and tell it again to remember you both for the Board and for Firefox.
One time, awhile back, I had to do that, plus, go into the saved passwords in Firefox and remove it there and in the 'view cookies' in Firefox before it would work right.Hope some of that works for you Dale.

FWIW: once the forums were back up I changed my password and email. B) Better safe than sorry.(and I never ever use the password storage possibility in any browser, never! I disable it.)

Scot ... in my situation .. this is what I came up with when I was in "standard text editor mode" all that I could get when I clicked on the tags I wanted were the open/close brackets for the individual selections (just like the old days) but when I would start to make the entry .. my selections had no effect
Dale, I think you are just expecting a different way of working than the Standard Editor provides. It's designed to apply format tags AFTER you type words, not inline as you type. It wants you to drag select the items you want to make bold or italic after you have typed them. Then you click the formatting button you want, and it adds the tags before and after your selection. I realize that you can work either way with Microsoft Word and other word processors. But I think most people do type the word, double click it, and then press the bold button.If you know the codes b and /b (in brackets), i and /i, u and /u, and so forth, you can just type them. For more detail, click the BB Code Help button below the post window.Since I use Safari most of the time, I'm not all that familiar with the Rich Text Editor yet. But LilBambi's suggestion might be a good one for you.Also, about your cookie issue, what browser do you use? Do you have some sort of cookie blocker or have you set cookie settings to block cookies between sessions? Your problem there is a local one, most likely a browser setting, add-on, extension, or third-party cookie utility.-- Scot

Cookies ............. Oatmeal Butterscotch chip please .. B) Okay .. using Firefox 2.0.0.16-1.1 in Mandriva 2008.0 .. clicked on Edit > Preferences > Privacy .. under the cookies section "exceptions" I added the two following entries "scotsnewsletter.com" and "formus.scotsnewsletter.com" ... now under the section "Show Cookies" there is an entry for "scotsnewsletter.com" no entry though for "forums.scotsnewsletter.com"This is more aggravating than anything .. all it really does is prevent me from making an posts until I log in, but after I log in then I am fine for that session and unless I leave the site for several hours it usually is good for several visits .. if there is someplace else to look I am not aware of it ..Scot .. Thanks ,, I will print that out and practice it ..

Fwiw, actually, I can confirm part of the login behavior you're seeing. But it's strange, so I have to study it some more. What it looks like to me is that when I switch networks -- move from work to home or vice versa -- the first time I launch the forums I am similarly being asked to login. I restarted my machine at work, and didn't see this. But I did see it when I came home tonight.Are you on the same network all the time, or are you mobile?-- Scot

I added the two following entries "scotsnewsletter.com" and "formus.scotsnewsletter.com"
The last link has a typo, maybe that's your problem Dale, or is it indeed 'just a typo' while typing here at the forums in the edit box? B)

striker .... good catch .. I checked it and in the cookie box it is spelled correctly .. (need to think slower, or type faster)

Update from me: Whatever caused me to have to login last night didn't repeat today.I no longer have ready access to FF 2.x. I'm running 3.x everywhere. When I check cookies in FF3 and Safari, it appears that the only thing you need to whitelist is:scotsnewsletter.comI'm not sure what's happening on your system, Dale, but it's not only not a universal problem, you're the only report of this I've heard so far.Think about this, is there a reason why your cache or cookies can't be stored? Are you using some sort of security sandbox? Some pop-up blockers might cause this. Many, many security products might cause this problem. I realize you're running Linux and probably have little need for such products, but it is the most likely cause of cookies being blocked or deleted. It might help if you described your Privacy settings for us.-- Scot

Quick report to all on forum issues following the upgrade:1. We definitely have an issue with special characters, which did not convert properly in some posts, signatures, and so on. It's not a terrible problem. It's also not the first time it's happened with an IPB upgrade. But it's the first time we've had to deal with it in several years. If you see what appears to be a grouping of one to four strange characters anywhere on the forums, chances are they represent a special character that wasn't converted properly. Let a moderator or forum admin or me know about it. Be sure to include a URL to the page and post in question.2. Although there were some issues with .JPGs, so far no on else has reported any. I suspect that we may still need to make changes there. If it's an avatar or profile picture, your a free to upload those yourself (within our limits on dimension and file size, see Forum Rules).3. We experienced a problem early on the first day of reopening about the board blocking multiple-quote posts. I made some tweaks to the settings, and that problem has disappeared.It's amazing to me, given how significant an upgrade this is, that these are the only problems we've had so far. But it wouldn't surprise me if we stumble across some additional bugs here and there.-- Scot

Yup, thanks Liz. This is exactly what I'm talking about. I sent Peachy a PM because I'm not sure what the first special character is supposed to be. I'm pretty sure the second one is a capital E with an accent aigu. But he knows best about his own sig.I happen to be a bit of a nut about special characters and typography on the Web. Anyone who is trying to fix this problem in their own post or sig might benefit from this document. You can use the HTML special codes on the left, or copy and paste the special character on the right.http://www.scotfinnie.com/char_ent.htm-- Scot

Here is what is listed ... Edit > Preferences > Privacy ---In the history section all 3 boxes are checked off -- visited pages -- info entered on forms and in search bar -- downloaded items ...cookies section .. accept cookies from sites is checked .. that is the only box there under the exceptions area I added the two entries I mentioned earlier ... a question on this specific section .. would it make a difference if I deleted all the cookies that are currently stored there .. it is a bunch of them BTWlast section is private data -- two boxes .. clear private data when I clear F/F is not checked -- ask before clearing private data is checked ..and that is the extent of everything in the privacy section

cookies section .. accept cookies from sites is checked .. that is the only box there
You don't have an "accept third-party cookies" checkbox with a "keep until:" drop down? Not that it should matter. These should not be third-party cookies. Still, I like to check everything.
under the exceptions area I added the two entries I mentioned earlier ... a question on this specific section .. would it make a difference if I deleted all the cookies that are currently stored there .. it is a bunch of them BTW
It might not be a bad idea to delete the ones that have anything to do with scotsnewsletter.com. But you should not just delete them all.In the Exceptions area, you chose Allow, right? Not Allow for Session?-- Scot

no box for .. accept third party cookies .. do have the keep until drop down it is set at until they expireselected the allow option ..

Guest LilBambi

Dale, might I suggest the following:Go to the main page for the forums and near the bottom right of the page, just above the statistics area, you will see a place to remove all cookies for the forum. You never mentioned whether you did that. Then make sure to manually check that the cookies are indeed gone.Also, manually remove any passwords remembered in your browsers temporarily for Scotsnewsletter.comThen clear your cache, close your browser fully.And then open the browser again and go to the forums to login and have your browser remember your password as you sign in.See how it goes after that.

FWIW: I'm running FF3 on several linuxes, FF3 with the strictest security settings possible. I can log in whenever I want, that's no problem. But I opted (as always) to NOT store any passwords in the browser. That means I have to enter the username and password for the forums manually everytime I want to log in, so what? I accept that little inconvenience over a possible compromised security setting. Anyway, what I want to say is : in Dales case it has to be a problem in the cookie settings which has to be cleared, maybe there's a cookie left for the old forums... get rid of that and the problem should be solved. Another trick is this, and it's one of those I usually take whenever something serious happened to the forums: change your password for the forums. That will set a new cookie and should clear the problem too.

I have only made one post since the re-opening of the forum. I never got an email telling me about the next post in the topic. There were several after mine. I checked with my ISP's spam filter first, then mine. There was nothing there. It is possible that my ISP has blocked this site, but I do not know that yet. I will change my email address if there is nothing wrong with the forum.That post was made two days ago.

..Update time...After a re-install of MD2008.0 .. (due to an oppps on my part) ... I think that everything might be okay .. at least it seems that way for now ... BUT before I fell asleep at the keyboard .. I did everything LilBambi said .. and in the saved passwords area I did find two entries for "scotsnewsletter.com" I have an idea that the dual entries might have caused the 'puter to have brain fade an so it went to default mode ... but now it is a whole new install ..

Edited by longgone

Guest LilBambi
..Update time...After a re-install of MD2008.0 .. (due to an oppps on my part) ... I think that everything might be okay .. at least it seems that way for now ... BUT before I fell asleep at the keyboard .. I did everything LilBambi said .. and in the saved passwords area I did find two entries for "scotsnewsletter.com" I have an idea that the dual entries might have caused the 'puter to have brain fade an so it went to default mode ... but now it is a whole new install ..
Thanks for checking on that Dale. I had a feeling that might be the case. Glad it fixed now though regardless! :thumbsup:

I have only made one post since the re-opening of the forum. I never got an email telling me about the next post in the topic. There were several after mine. I checked with my ISP's spam filter first, then mine. There was nothing there. It is possible that my ISP has blocked this site, but I do not know that yet. I will change my email address if there is nothing wrong with the forum.That post was made two days ago.
Board email notifications have always been quirky, but before we get into diagnosing this problem, could you please go here:My Controls > Email Settings and tell us what configurations you have, especially in the drop-down box if that option is checked.-- Scot

Well ... that re-install did NOT cure this ... it is in my Mandriva install .. I have the same results using both the default FF browser and the Konqueror browser too .... so what it is ,, where it is and what it is ... I guess I have to suck it up and continue on

Guest LilBambi

Sorry to hear that Dale! Did you try what I suggested earlier to see if it makes a difference?Could it be something to do with the multiple browsers on the same machine confusing the forums' cookies?

Dale,Could you describe your problem, just the basics again?When you arrive at the site, are your login username and password (covered by asterisks) apparently there and you must click Login. Or is it as if you've never logged into the site from this browser?-- Scot

mlangdn:

I have only made one post since the re-opening of the forum. I never got an email telling me about the next post in the topic. There were several after mine. I checked with my ISP's spam filter first, then mine. There was nothing there. It is possible that my ISP has blocked this site, but I do not know that yet. I will change my email address if there is nothing wrong with the forum. That post was made two days ago.
Hopefully email notification is working now, and you set it on this thread. I think I have fixed the problem you were experiencing. Time will tell. This forum software has had problems generating email reliably on four different webhosts now, with its default settings. I made the same tweak I've made in past after every migration of the forums to a new host, and it seems to be working better now. What's your experience? What's everyone's experience?If you have email notification set to notify you when threads are updated, are you getting timely notifications now (as of yesterday AM)?-- Scot

mlangdn:Hopefully email notification is working now, and you set it on this thread. I think I have fixed the problem you were experiencing. Time will tell. This forum software has had problems generating email reliably on four different webhosts now, with its default settings. I made the same tweak I've made in past after every migration of the forums to a new host, and it seems to be working better now. What's your experience? What's everyone's experience?If you have email notification set to notify you when threads are updated, are you getting timely notifications now (as of yesterday AM)?-- Scot
I am going on vacation this morning and will be gone for a week. I will revisit this next Saturday, but as of this morning, no notifications. My email settings are set for immediate notification. I will change my email then to gmail and see what happens. Bellsouth (AT&T) is very idiotic at times.This is a minor problem since I visit daily.

Scot.....The results I have are almost like visiting the site for the first time .... I can select the site from the bookmarks/favorites listing ,,, so far so good .. it goes to the home page and from there when I select the forums entry it goes to the main page fine also .. after I am at the main page is where I get the bar that says log in on it ... and the two bars are displayed for the user name and the password .. both of the boxes are completed and all I have to do is click on the login button and I am once again logged in ... after the login I can then make posts with no further problems ..HTH

The results I have are almost like visiting the site for the first time .... I can select the site from the bookmarks/favorites listing ,,, so far so good .. it goes to the home page and from there when I select the forums entry it goes to the main page fine also .. after I am at the main page is where I get the bar that says log in on it ... and the two bars are displayed for the user name and the password .. both of the boxes are completed and all I have to do is click on the login button and I am once again logged in ... after the login I can then make posts with no further problems ...
Thanks, Dale. I'm not hot on the trail of a solution in this case, to be honest. But I find that when I have no idea what's wrong, it helps me to get a very clear picture of all the details. So one other question. This is the link you should be using to visit the forums. Is this what you're using?http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/-- Scot

I am going on vacation this morning and will be gone for a week. I will revisit this next Saturday, but as of this morning, no notifications. My email settings are set for immediate notification. I will change my email then to gmail and see what happens. Bellsouth (AT&T) is very idiotic at times.This is a minor problem since I visit daily.
Thanks. Hope you have a great vacation. Several of us (including me) have experienced more rapid and more reliable board notifications since I made a settings change yesterday. So I do think that there's a good possibility that those notifications could be being trapped by your ISP's spam protection. That's worth a try. If you have a whitelist, the "from" field of these messages uses this domain:@scotsnewsletter.com-- Scot