Need for Hardware Firewall?

MacBear

I am switching from a dial-up ISP(after 8yrs) to a broadband cable co. connection. I have the following installed on computer: Spyware Blaster, Spyware Terminator, Spy Bot S&D,CC Cleaner, Avast Home AV, Windows Defender, Win-Patrol, and paid version of Online Armour. I have only one computer and am the only user. I basically use it for e-mail and general internet surfing( news, sports etc. Do not download games or movies etc.Question: With the above installed, is it necessary also to install a hardware(router) firewall? If so what type?

Guest LilBambi

Short answer, yes.NAT'd firewall at the least. It quiets down a lot of the door rattling chatter and makes it harder for the bad guys to find you. Also gives a layer of protection that no software can do. And if your software security is compromised, you still have your NAT'd firewall....might just be enough to give you time to save your bacon.IMHO.

Hi MacBear ... I'll 2nd the recommend above to get a simple NAT + wifi router -- with that one hardware addition, and then run Firefox instead of IE for your browsing [no popups, and no ActiveX] -- those two will keep 99% of the trash and malware off your puter. I have an XP laptop and 2 win2k desktops here, online for several hours each day, and I only need to run those cleaner apps maybe once per month or less. The router is no extra trouble -- just change the name and password that it comes with, once, and after that you can basically forget about it.

I am switching from a dial-up ISP(after 8yrs) to a broadband cable co. connection. I have the following installed on computer: Spyware Blaster, Spyware Terminator, Spy Bot S&D,CC Cleaner, Avast Home AV, Windows Defender, Win-Patrol, and paid version of Online Armour. I have only one computer and am the only user. I basically use it for e-mail and general internet surfing( news, sports etc. Do not download games or movies etc.Question: With the above installed, is it necessary also to install a hardware(router) firewall? If so what type?
Maybe the new connection comes including a modem/router combination? In that case have a look if the 'firewall' is built into that. If yes chances are it has NAT so a couple of clicks in the settings at the right spot would suffice and save you the bucks. However, indeed change the username and password for it ASAP and make a note of it for your self: there are complete lists on the net with those default credentials everybody is able to look 'm up within seconds, so the bad guys can do the same. And there's a very nasty piece of ^%$% on the loose which changes these settings if used with default credentials. ( http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/na...ges-router.html ) ;)

Guest LilBambi

Oh, and btw, don't forget to turn off UPNP in the router! Very important!As well as making sure the router's firmware is updated and changing username/password or password as appropriate (some only have an admistrator password), and changing the default SSID and channel of the router.Also recommended to add WPA security to your wireless connections through the router whenever possible to limit the possibility of unsafe users on your wireless connection making use of your wireless for nefarious purposes and/or having easier access to your computers.

A firewall is a must if you're going to be using the internet especially with an always 'on' connection like cable. It doesn't matter one bit if you're going to download movies or not. A good firewall is your first line of defense against hackers & bots on the internet.A router with NAT (network address translation) is highly recommended but note that not all routers have this feature. Consult with the manufacturer or your sales rep if you choose to buy one locally.Scot Finnie has written several in the past evaluating various software-based firewalls. It's either or, you do not need both although it wouldn't hurt anything. Search the newsletter archives for firewall recommendations. Last time I checked, he recommended Tall Emu's Online Armour Firewall.