Next Mac OS X — 10.6 —

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi
Next Mac OS X — 10.6 — at WWDC 2008? another big cat? end of PPC?
Well, it makes sense that 10.6 will be announced soon especially with Steve Jobs’ comments to the New York Times regarding major Mac OS X, but at WWDC 2008? Hard to say.There is also the naming question brought up at Mac360 as well …some say the only big cat left is Lion. But even a cursory look at wikipedia’s big cat page would indicate that Lion isn’t the only one unless you go with strict ‘big cat’ names. A more expansive list also includes things like Cougar, Snow Leopard, Clouded Leopard and Cheetah (which Apple has been used already and broke the ice for the more expansive Big Cat naming for Mac OS X).My guess would be Cougar. I would think that would be the most logical choice. Wait to use Lion till they move to an all Intel based Macs and maybe proved their dominance might be a better choice of timing to use “The King” Lion.And if the RoughlyDrafted magazine/blog article was correct in 2007 about their thoughts on Unraveling the PPC Myth (linked in their Leopard and the History and Future of Mac OS X on PPC article noted above), then it’s not likely going to be with 10.6.
Much more in the posting as well as links to all the references.What are your thoughts on all this the naming of 10.6 and whether it will be the end of the PPC? And regardless, will it be at WWDC 2008 that it's announced?And what about DRM in Mac OS X Leopard?

You know my thoughts on DRM, so no discussion there needed. ;)You know, with the oddities and such that you've encountered with the mini, I'd say any newer version of OSX may not be ideal for that machine anymore. PPC is a dying breed (though you and I would likely want to deny it), and I bet Apple is not taking as much time developing for it as with the new intel macs.Maybe at some point Apple with overhaul OSX, but I really don't see it anytime soon.Adam

Guest LilBambi

Maybe so, but they didn't even give a decent length of time as they have in the past for versions. By my calculations, especially after reading that article with the history in it on version dates and times, and when Apple stopped supporting hardware, this is the absolutely worst they've done with that for such a broad audience of users.And their legacy users at that.Oh, and did you notice the EDIT at the end of the posting.Ars Technica has confirmed it's going to be a Nuclear Winter with "Snowy Leopard" as the name for the next Mac OS X 10.6. AND CONFIRMED NO PPC.*Sigh*