Can't boot to safe mode

DHK

I'm running WinXP home and cannot boot into any of the various safe modes. PC will display the AGP440 driver as the last of a long list and then hang. I've tried bootlog which won't work, as well as reinstalling SP1, then a Repair Install, and SP1, etc. again, with no luck.2nd problem may or not be related. Cannot run chkdsk at startup. System informs me that the volume is locked. How can I possibly know which process is getting to the volume before chkdsk. It DOES run fine under the repair console. I've uninstalled Norton Systemworks which is running, and it made no difference.Any other suggestions to these 2 problems? Running Dell 8100, 768M Memory, 70G Hard Drive...

Can you boot into normal mode??? Or is this problem just trying to get into Safe Mode?I have noticed on some machines (fast machines) it can be real tricky getting the F8 key hit in time to go into safe mode. I usually sit there and start tapping the F8 key about every 1/2 second starting immediately after it starts the boot cycle.As far as the Chkdsk goes, this can be caused by a 3rd party program locking the partition. It could be an anti-virus proggy, disk monitoring tool(Diskeeper?), etc. You may need to temporarily disable any 3rd party services or devices that may be locking the partition.

Guest ThunderRiver

Check with your BIOS. Somehow, your BIOS messes up with AGP which in return causes system hang. Another possibility is also due to BIOS so that your ACPI is malfunctioning.Flash your BIOS with the newest version whenever possible.