Hi, We're Here!

Patrick

I don't know what it is about folks with German heritage, but I seem to attract 'em. In fact, many of my oldest, closest friends were born in Germany or have two parents who were. I'm not all that big on tracing back people's heritage, but sometimes it's hard to ignore.What's it mean, I haven't a clue.Oh, I speak Irish too, whoever said that. It was funny. Stryder?Cyndy and I honeymooned in Ireland, and I loved it there.Technically speaking, I'm actually more Irish than Scots. But don't tell my dad. He doesn't acknowledge that. :) -- Scot

Well Scot ya know you can always tell a German... But you just can't tell them alot... :) Down here in NC they have a highlands festival every year in July out in the mountains (western part of the state) it's really cool and seems to draw a very large crowd... maybe you can come down here one time for it... (There's another festival as well but I'm not sure when that one is.. I'll ask my friend...)--

Guest LilBambi

Good one Mike! :) Scot -- We have friends that keep going back to Ireland every year or so ... they say it is absolutely wonderful there and the colors, especially green are breathtaking.My father said that there is no more beautiful country than Germany (he said the green there is absolutely beautiful), course he hasn't been there since the early 60s :)Since green is my favorite color, I will have to visit both Ireland and Germany at some point in my life :)

Might as well join in too - I be mostly German than I got a mixture of Scottish, Irish, and English. Dad was the full blooded German and Mom was the mixure of the rest. Took two years of German in High School, but that was too long ago to remember a whole lot, but it was a fun language to try and learn. Nothing like having the verb at the end of your sentence lol

I have German, Scottish, and Irish ancestry, with a dash of Cherokee on the side. But I tend to identify with the Scots ancestry more, because of my last name (McCloud), even though it's the Irish spelling...

Guest LilBambi
We're all very glad to welcome you L_P.  Feel free to jump in (feet first, no belly flops).
L_P --I would like to add my welcome too ... and I agree with Jeber 'feet first' ... those belly flops are downright painful ;)

Guest LilBambi

havnblast --Amazing! I saw someone else around here with a similar ancesty :) BTW: I never realized my father butchered the German language as much as he did ... when he comedically rearranged the sentence structure entirely when he would say 'outen ze light' ;) tntoak --Welcome to you. My Jim has very similar ancestry to you, except he also has some Italian and English thrown into the mix. ;)

Guest LilBambi
hello in there...- been reading Scot's ltr for quite some time- great grandparents both sides from germany... das is scarry, ya?  :)       funny thing, the german towns they're from lost their records almost a century ago... so i'm told... und vas is dis pidgeon german you say?  :) cya!
Temmu --Are you a John Prine fan too? (hello in there...)Hmmmm, lost their records almost a century ago ... during the war, maybe? Welcome! :)

While I'm here, might as well say that I'm half Swedish, 1/4 Norwegian, and 1/4 German.... For some reason I have a very simple lineage.... (traced back to the 1600's at least)My last name is Minert (traced back to Meyer in Germany)... I look like a Scandinavian though (6'2", big-boned, blond hair, blue eyes)... One more thing... don't get my last name wrong :) it's a LONG I.... everybody seems to get it wrong :)

Guest Paracelsus
Are you a John Prine fan too? (hello in there...)
Hey!!, LilBambi,I'm a Big Time John Prine fan :) Saw him at the Mosque (is it still there?) in Richmond, VA in '76, when I spent a year on an Internship at VIMS (Virginia Institute of Marine Science) in Gloucester Point.John performed a half hour version of (I can't remember the correct name) "The Bottom Lake"... The song a bout the family out for a Sunday Drive, and their car went off a bridge into a lake (river?)... and all the stuff they did (ate their picnic lunch, etc) as the car was sinking... and sinking... and sinking... and...It was HILARIOUS!!! :) :) The whole audience was practically in tears from laughing. And just when you thought the song was over... He ad-libbed another verse.Never found it on an LPWould you happen to know if he ever recorded it??? Muchas Gracias!!

Are you a John Prine fan too? (hello in there...)
Jon performed a half hour version of (I can't remember the correct name) "The Bottom Lake"... The song a bout the family out for a Sunday Drive, and their car went off a bridge into a lake (river?)... and all the stuff they did (ate their picnic lunch, etc) as the car was sinking... and sinking... and sinking... and...Never found it on an LPWould you happen to know if he ever recorded it??? Muchas Cracias!!
I think the song was called "The Bottomless Lake"LyricsAnd was on his album "Aimless Love"Oh Boy Recordsunless you're looking specifically for that live version.... Can't help you there. :)

Guest Paracelsus
I think the song was called "The Bottomless LakeLyricsAnd was on his album "Aimless Love"Oh Boy Recordsunless you're looking specifically for that live version.... Can't help you there. :)
Hi Eksimba,Thanks for the Heads Up :) I suppose I should have done some searching myself.While I'd live to have that Concert, any version of the song will do. Always been one of my favorite Prine tunes. Now...Anyone out there for Elvin Bishop?? :)

Guest LilBambi

John Prine's music is some of the most thought-provoking "country-folk roll filtered through electro-acoustic rock" music of the day ... and he did some of his best work by the time he was 24 ... he must have either had one heck of a childhood, or he somehow had his eyes opened to some very harsh realities at a very early age. But whatever caused him to have such insight at such an early age, I consider it a true pleasure to be able to listen to his music.If anyone is a guitar player, and would enjoy the benefit of someone else working out the chords (if you use a kapo and don't mind doing it from the 3rd fret, that is), here's the chord's someone has worked out to get'cha started:Guitar chords for Bottomless Lake

Guest LilBambi
I think the song was called "The Bottomless LakeLyricsAnd was on his album "Aimless Love"Oh Boy Recordsunless you're looking specifically for that live version.... Can't help you there. :)
Hi Eksimba,Thanks for the Heads Up ;) I suppose I should have done some searching myself.While I'd live to have that Concert, any version of the song will do. Always been one of my favorite Prine tunes. Now...Anyone out there for Elvin Bishop?? ;)
Hmmmmmm ... ELVIN BISHOP BANDGee I didn't know their drummer was John Chambers who played with The We Five ... boy that takes me back ... live and learn :lol:

Shouldn't we change the title of this thread to "Hi!, we're here, and we're all still big fans of the bands we listened to in the 70's"? IMHO, Emerson, Lake and Palmer still rule! :D

Shouldn't we change the title of this thread  to "Hi!, we're here, and we're all still big fans of the bands we listened to in the 70's"?  IMHO, Emerson, Lake and Palmer still rule!  :D
lol... except some of us weren't around in the 70's.... I was born in 1980 :D

Yes, well, good taste doesn't have decade barriers  :D
while good taste doesn't, good music does :)thanks for the compliment btw :D

Guest LilBambi
Yes, well, good taste doesn't have decade barriers  ;)
while good taste doesn't, good music does :)thanks for the compliment btw :D
You are very welcome!And as I can see, you not only have good taste but insight as well ... I'd tip my hat to ya (if I had one!) B)

Now I'm no expert, but I'd agree with you that koala's indeed do not wear hats of any kind. Not even the Australian kind that look so cool on some people. But, to judge by the little stuffed koalas they sell at the San Diego Zoo, there does seem to be at least one breed of koala that does wear t-shirts saying "San Diego Zoo" or "Go Padres". I don't believe I've ever seen a koala of this particular breed on display there. Just your standard naked koala. :unsure:

Guest LilBambi
I don't believe I've ever seen a koala of this particular breed on display there. Just your standard naked koala.
Jeber --Yeah, but you have to admit ... it's a darn cute one though! ;)

All Australian animals are fascinating. People are usually surprised to learn that Koalas are not always friendly little balls of fluff. They can be ornery.When I wrote in college, I would always include a wombat in my stories. I think they are just the greatest thing going. I have several gifs of them, and have read a lot about the critters. I still want to raise one someday. Your Koala is adoreable. But wombats rule! :blink:

Guest LilBambi

Jeber --Australian animals really are fascinating. And as you say, koala's can have ornery days ... as can any animal, no matter how cute :)Will have to look up the wombat ... haven't read about them for many years :blink: