Changing runlevels in Ubuntu

Peachy

So, I've been trying to figure out since last fall why editing the inittab file in Ubuntu Gutsy never changed the runlevel to the one you wanted. Even more annoyingly, Hardy doesn't even contain inittab.This explains it all: http://caulfield.info/emmet/2008/02/proble...ubunt.html#moreAnd here's a step-by-step tutorial to at least get it to do what you want:http://caulfield.info/emmet/2008/03/add-a-...vel-to-ubu.htmlNow I'm happy. ;)

I see he has a section called "Why its bad" but no "Why its good" He's right, it sucks. :) Even Sidux has gone back to the old method, default 5 and add a 3 to the grub kernel line to boot into text mode. Debian uses init 3 as default, like Hardy, and I find it annoying.

To be blatantly honest, Ubuntu's occasional ventures into re-inventing the wheel like this is the main reason I don't use it (well, apart from Gnome of course). That's why Sidux is the only distro to lure me from Debian so far - everything just makes sense. Ok I know they are all on the same (Debian) line, but Ubuntu is a few stations further away. :D :) :) Don't get me wrong though, I often recommend Ubuntu to noo new Linux Explorers, and PCLos, and Kubuntu, and Mepis, and Zenwalk.................

V.T. Eric Layton

You folks need to remember the Prime Directive of Ubuntu. It's to make a Linux OS that is as close to and easiest for Windows point n' click, graphically addicted zombies to use.

You folks need to remember the Prime Directive of Ubuntu. It's to make a Linux OS that is as close to and easiest for Windows point n' click, graphically addicted zombies to use.
I would agree with your statement up until the gratuitous "zombie" remark. Linux has distros to suit most computer users and, yes, Ubuntu is designed for "the average home user" and not the "computer hot-rodder" that wants to "tinker with the engine." But that is no reason to insult those users that are taking the "gutsy" (pun intended) step of abandoning their MS comfort zone to add their support to the Open Experience.Rather than insulting this group, we should be welcoming them with open arms. Without their numbers, Linux will never gain the clout necessary to force manufacturers to furnish the support and drivers needed. Edited by lewmur

users that are taking the "gutsy" (pun intended) step of abandoning their MS comfort zone to add their support to the Open Experience.
:) Lew ! . . . The efforts new users are willing to put in learning a new operating system definitely shows a brave attitude.:D Bruno

Ubuntu would have gotten more clout if ASUS had included that, rather than Xandros on the eeepc. There is a good number of eeepc owners who are putting Ubuntu on the eeepc and allso a special distro eeexbuntu; I haven't stuck my nose in to see if that is Ubuntu-lite. But for those of us, not ready to jump through all the hoops to get an Ubuntu install, it will have to wait.

Liz,

eeeXubuntu is a custom version of the Xubuntu Live CD with fully-integrated hardware support, including native wireless drivers, functioning Ethernet support, tweaks for low-resolution desktop environments, and other miscellaneous fixes. Wherever possible, these changes are incorporated using custom .deb packages rather than spewing assorted files all over post-install.
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home :)

Ubuntu would have gotten more clout if ASUS had included that, rather than Xandros on the eeepc. There is a good number of eeepc owners who are putting Ubuntu on the eeepc and allso a special distro eeexbuntu; I haven't stuck my nose in to see if that is Ubuntu-lite. But for those of us, not ready to jump through all the hoops to get an Ubuntu install, it will have to wait.
I hope the eeexbunto works for you but I'm really not concerned about Ubuntu's clout. They are doing fine. I'm really just concerned about the overall clout of the Linux community and feel that distros that appeal to the "average joe," rather than just computer experts, are needed to gain that clout.Have you tried miniPCLos 2008 on the eeepc? I installed that on a 2gb flash stick to boot my notebook when using public wifi hotspots. Only partitioned 1gb for mini and put a fat32 partition on the other half for exchanging data with other people.

graphically addicted or just CLI freakin', fact is we live in 2008 and not in the stone age anymore. I would say graphical where ever possible, CLI only where no other possibility remains. If you want to scare away new users coming from windows, treat them CLI only and within seconds they go back. So that's definitely the wrong way.

Have you tried miniPCLos 2008 on the eeepc? I installed that on a 2gb flash stick to boot my notebook when using public wifi hotspots. Only partitioned 1gb for mini and put a fat32 partition on the other half for exchanging data with other people.
I second that suggestion. There are a few distros tailored to the eeePC now. It is paticularly easy to install to a USB stick. Just plug in an external CD drive and install as normal. Make sure you install to the right drive (they can change on replugging) and install grub to the root partition. Then you can hit ESC at the BIOS load screen and select the drive to boot. Doesn't touch the internal drive.Currently I have Sidux on the SSD and Puppeee and eeeXubuntu on USB keys. Spoiled for choice! :) B)
You all know that "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word meaning "can't configure Debian" :hysterical: :devil: o:) Sorry. :whistling: Edited by sunrat