Company to Store Data On the Moon

havnblast

However strange the idea may sound, TransOrbital of La Jolla, California is taking it and other proposals for marrying high-tech and the Earth's only natural satellite seriously. The company is getting ready to send a commercial mission to the moon and intends to send servers, data, handheld computers, and digital cameras along for the ride.
Read it for YourselfTransorbital Home PageOMG what next? I couldn't believe it when I ran across this article.

SonicDragon

Well, i guess it does make sence. What else are we going to do with the moon. Unless we decide to live there...I think it's a great place for storage, especially computer data, because u can get it without going back up to the moon to retrieve it.

Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese. Will storing data in/on cheese contaminate the data? Or ruin the cheese if we want to harvest it in the future? ;)

Guest ThunderRiver

I am skeptical about the stroage. The storage system they use must be more advanced than the existing hard drive. Sending it up to the space has to go through ozone, which can create a lot of heat.. I am sure these hard drive can survive that well..not to mention the moment it hits the moon surface.. what kind of impact it might be. It sounds like a NASA project to me. On the other hand, I am not too worried about contamination with cheese...

SonicDragon
and they gonna be solar powered or what? not sure they got long enough extension cords.
Good point. It's going to take a lot of batery power.

It is a little difficult to take it seriously when it includes this paragraph.Quote:"In addition to putting servers on the moon, TransOrbital is seeking to use Hewlett-Packard iPaq handheld computers and digital cameras as part of its mission. "While orbiting the moon, we're going to use the iPaq, with its wireless communication features".Sounds like a "Silly" commercial to HP rather than Technological Innovation..

Getting the data there will be easy. The cost of getting it to space is the rub. We do not have a "cheap" way to get to space. Unless of course you call the current NASA "get to space" model viable...