Cable modem connected to Ethernet port for ADSL wireless router

zillah

I am using a Motorola cable modem (one USB port and one Ethernet port) to access the net. I would like to connect that to a router; to share the network.Right now I do not have a router (i.e. one Ethernet WAN port , and 4 Ethernet LAN ports) to do a sharing, because with this type of router the connection straight forwardBut I have got two ADSL Wireless modem routers (NETGEAR DG834G V1and LinkSys WAG54G V2.0 (RJ 11 port and 4 Ethernet LAN ports)Can I use one of those ADSL Wireless modem routers ? and connect my motorola modem cable to one of its LAN Ethernet port ? does it have any drawback ?

I am using a Motorola cable modem (one USB port and one Ethernet port) to access the net. I would like to connect that to a router; to share the network.Right now I do not have a router (i.e. one Ethernet WAN port , and 4 Ethernet LAN ports) to do a sharing, because with this type of router the connection straight forwardBut I have got two ADSL Wireless modem routers (NETGEAR DG834G V1and LinkSys WAG54G V2.0 (RJ 11 port and 4 Ethernet LAN ports)Can I use one of those ADSL Wireless modem routers ? and connect my motorola modem cable to one of its LAN Ethernet port ? does it have any drawback ?
That depends on the cable modem. Most of them currently have a built in router even though they only have one ethernet port. In this case, you can disable the DHCP in Linksys or Netgear and use it only as a "switch" and have no problems. (You may also need to change its IP address and subnet mask to match the modem/router.)So, how do you tell if your modem has a router built in? If the modem has web address to set firewall and login parameters etc then you're in luck. IOW, if the modem manual says to open your browser and put 192.168..x.x in the address bar to "setup" the modem, go for it.

My motorola surfboard cable modems SB5100 and SB55101) do not have firewalls. I attach a router to get a firewall. I did not have to do anything to the modem to "shut off" a firewall. I just bought one in 2007 so I'd say it is fairly new.

So, how do you tell if your modem has a router built in? If the modem has web address to set firewall and login parameters etc then you're in luck.
My motorola surfboard cable modems SB5100 and SB55101)
Unfortunately I am not in luck , because the one that I have got is SB51011,,,,does not have web interface