IcedTea

raymac46

I decided I wanted to install Java capability into Firefox with Mandriva 2008 Gnome.I installed IcedTea 1.70 and its web browser plugin from the Mandriva repository. It seems to do the job pretty well.Any comments from the experts about how it compares to Sun Java?

Edited by raymac46

I have it installed and found no problems, albeit I have java disabled by default unless I need it. I tested it after the install at:http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xmland the character was dancing around. :thumbsup:
Yes I got that dancer moving as well. :thumbsup: Basically i just need it for some small applets like a perpetual calendar site. It works fine there as well.

I did read about it when it was in development but was not aware it was "usable" already :thumbsup: Please keep us posted on your experiences with it.:thumbsup: Bruno

I did read about it when it was in development but was not aware it was "usable" already :hysterical: Please keep us posted on your experiences with it.:hysterical: Bruno
Have I got a nice little gem to play with! A cross word puzzle to be played online.Here's how it goes:Start up firefox and make sure java is enabled (!), then head over to:http://www.linux.com/feature/128670and there's your cross word puzzle.Have fun!(The java version I'm using is:$ java -versionjava version "1.7.0"IcedTea Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-Mandriva-19.202.56.2mdv2008.0)IcedTea 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b05, mixed mode)Bruno: this one works ok too with IcedTea.

Bruno: this one works ok too with IcedTea.
Thanks ! . . Glad to know there is a good alternative for java.:hysterical: Bruno