Do Not Rely on Comodo 3’s ‘Basic Firewall’

Corrine

I have learned directly from Comodo executives that the Basic Firewall installation option of Comodo 3 does not offer any outbound leak protection whatsoever. They may add that protection in a future version of Comodo 3.x. The Basic Firewall option turns off Comodo 3’s Defense+ HIPS module, which provides the leak protection for Comodo 3.
See Scot's Newsletter Blog for complete information.

Interesting. I found some issues with the level of protection offered with Defense+ turned off, posted at the Comodo forum, but no reply. (Here) so gone back to using Comodo 2.4, which appears to be working well.

Cluttermagnet
I have learned directly from Comodo executives that the Basic Firewall installation option of Comodo 3 does not offer any outbound leak protection whatsoever. They may add that protection in a future version of Comodo 3.x. The Basic Firewall option turns off Comodo 3’s Defense+ HIPS module, which provides the leak protection for Comodo 3.
Oh my gosh! I never caught this. Just installed Comodo 3 free on a friend's computer. I'll tear it out and install the older version. BTW will I find that on their site, or should I turn to the 'old version' site?Thanks for the heads up, Corrine. :thumbsup:

Comodo 3’s “Advanced†default installation mode is remains under consideration in my ongoing software firewall evaluation process.
The way I read it is that it is OK as long as you use the Advanced install mode.

Oh my, Comodo's CEO implying that Scot is getting paid by Online Armor!I wonder if this extends to the other person, moutesec (I know that isn't the correct spelling- I just don't have all my bookmarks on my eeepc yet) who does firewall testing! I will avoid Comodo simply because the CEO is acting beyond childish.I'm going to spread the word on the forums I go to so the people using firewalls can see how the CEO of Comodo acts. I'll simply post the urls so the people can read and decide what they wish to do.

I just got around to reading the comments made by Comodo Firewall's CEO and I don't like it one bit. It reeks of taunting, unfounded accusations and basically acting out like a big cry baby because Scot favors the other firewall over theirs.I don't care how good their frickin' firewall is - if a company's CEO behaves in this manner I will NOT be recommending their products to my customers regardless it's a misunderstanding or not. I have no allegiance to Scot as my participation on this forum is irregular and in the time I've been here I've only exchanged 1 PM. He seems like a very fair minded individual and he's been around the computer industry for a long time. Until I see a public apology and a retraction in statement from Melih, I will definitely steer my customers towards another firewall product.

I'm seeiing problems with people trying to uninstall both the firewall nd BOClean from Comodo.You may want to visit the Comodo forum if you decide to uninstall either app.

Edited by zlim

i tried comodo on 2 machines even tho Scot forewarned about the constant questions. pscomodo does indeed calm down after a couple of week's use...
It also slows your machine down.

Cluttermagnet
I'm seeing problems with peole trying to uninstall both the firewall and BOClean from Comodo.You may want to visit the Comodo forum if you decide to uninstall either app.
Liz-Please clarify. Do you mean that uninstalls cause damage to the OS? I put Comodo 3 on a friend's XP. Now I want to pull it off and try 2.4.

Not damage to the OS but inability to install the lower version.I believe one person wanted to downgrade and couldn't install v2.4 because it kept saying Comodo was already installed. You have to dig through and get out the bits and pieces.

FWIW, I had no problems at all removing 3 via it's own uninstaller and then installing 2.4.I'd imagine trying to install 2.4 over an active 3 (if that's what happened) would cause this problem.2.4 running just fine, here.

Cluttermagnet

Good. I'd always look for an uninstaller provided by the maker and try using that first. I'll get back to that machine in the next few days; will let you know how it went.

I always use Total Uninstall. It removes everything that it monitors during the install. I would not install anything without TU. It came in handy to get rid of this "Basic Firewall"!

Just to clarify, the guy in question is pretty good on the computer. He did try to remove all of v 3 (not sure if it was just the firewall or BOClean too). That's when he ran into problem. He does know to remove by the proper method before trying to install another version, higher or lower.Not everyone runs into this removal problem but I've seen enough people posting for help on various forums that I though it was worth a mention here.

Cluttermagnet

BTW we ended up putting Online Armor on my friend's XP computer. I was quite favorably impressed with it. I like it well enough to recommend that others try it. It seems a keeper... :thumbsup: