Other Scot's Newsletter Test Forums

Scot

Hey... speaking of "would be" cool features... an option to save a particular opost to our inbox or a PM folder... It's my understanding that the archive function is only for your PM messaes... It would be cool to have an icon at the bottom of each post just like the quote button... :D

Guest Paracelsus
It's my understanding that the archive function is only for your PM messaes...
I think havnblast and mike2 make some very good points. Especially the "No Perfect Software" thing. And Scot... Looks like you have at least three people now who are fairly well versed in BB's, and willing to provide some aide. I'm glad that mike2 corrected my misperception of what the Personal Archives are for. I would have preferred that there be some way of archiving important and informative posts, for easy reference (for reasons I stated earlier in this thread).I'm also sorry to read that you've had so much trouble with InfoPOP's UBB. But that just highlights the importance of testing several formats.I like havnblast's idea of having a "skinning"contest of some kind. But Scot...I'm not sure it would be wise to have a poll to determine which BB you'll use. What if the winner is the one format that gives your Network & Server the most trouble :D :D

Hello All,

...also you really can't complain about the price... either FREE! if you leave their logo or a one-time $100 fee and the right to change the logo's that seems QUITE reasonable to me...
You are right, you can’t complain about the price, its very reasonable.According to Invision's site under the License Agreement:
Proprietary LabelsBefore we get into an explanation of this section let's answer one of our most commonly asked questions:Am I allowed to remove the large Invision graphic on the forum headers?Yes, you can. We do not consider this large header graphic as one of our copyright marks. It is just there to look pretty so feel free to modify it or just delete it.
SourceAbout paying the one time $100 fee:
The branding systems are the copyright notices at the bottom of every output page and the copyright notices in the script source file. You may not remove the notices in the script source files for any reason. If you wish to remove our branding and copyright notices from your forum pages, there is a one time fee of $99 for a full license. It covers all current and future releases of the software for one installation. To purchase this option, click the Technical Support and Services link.
Source

I'm glad that mike2 corrected my misperception of what the Personal Archives are for.  I would have preferred that there be some way of archiving important and informative posts, for easy reference (for reasons I stated earlier in this thread).
Paracelsus,I know how important keeping track of useful thread is! I have two possible solutions when using IPB.( 1 ) Under the "My Controls" option for every registered user there is a "Personal Note Pad" on the main My Controls page. You can type up a little reminder of the thread and copy & paste the thread URL.I would highly recommend turning the "Do you wish to hide your session id in the links?" option under the "Board Settings" to YES. By doing so you will have shorter URLS when you send links to other people, and they will also be shorter when you copy/paste them into your "Personal Note Pad."To access Personal Note Pad : My ControlsTo access Board Settings : My Controls > Board Settings( 2 ) This solution is 100% dependent on how Scot administrates his IPB. For Scot there is an option under Admin > Board Settings > User Profiles > Auto prune all topic subscriptions if the topic has no replies over [x] days.If Scot left that feild blank you could Subscribe to a topic and it would always appear under your My Controls > (Sub Cat) Subscriptions > View Topics area.From there you can see the Topic (link), # of Replies, # of Views, Who posted last & When. You can also Unsubscribe from topics on the same page.That would be the ultimate way to track important topics Paracelsus. The only down side would be that its 100% dependent on Scot's administration, and that you would get an email saying that someone posted to the topic you subscribed to, if someone did reply.EDIT: I just noticed something on my Topic Subscriptions page:Subscription auto pruning is switched off at present.So it looks like, for the moment anyway, that Scot is allowing continuous topic subscription with no pruning after X number of days. Edited by Arena2045

...there is also something about the member ui in phpBB2 that I strongly prefer. For me, indicators that a new message is there...
Scot,From my testing of IPB… If a user registers, and has the IPB automatically log them in (so they are not a Guest), the user will see the new post indicators.Guests will not see the post indicators change because they are not members of the forum.Examples:I visit your page as a Guest on a friend’s computer; I see a bunch of light blue post indicators even though someone just posted a new reply or topic.Now I go to my computer which has the cookie to automatically log me in. I go to your IPB and see a dark blue post indicator showing that a new reply has been posted.Again, from what I can see, post indicators are dependent on whether the user is registered or not.

Wow, I've gotta say I'm a little overwhelmed by all the great thoughts, ideas, and suggestions you guys have made. Mike2 is right, there ain't no such thing as perfect software.That's why I've made up my mind; I'm going with IPB.This is probably pretty terrible forum etiquette, but I'm going to respond to several thoughts from Havnblast, Mike2, Paracelsus, and Arena2045. So here goes:HavnblastI'm going to take you up on your offer to help with forum skin modifications. That goes for anyone else who is interested in helping. If you're having ideas, please share them!Part of what I didn't share earlier is that I've been interviewing graphic artists for a while now. I'm looking for a whole new set of banners, buttons, and labels for the SFNL website and newsletter. And it occurred to me right away that I should add the logo, forum buttons, etc., to that list of stuff. Online artists are expensive though. So that's been a separate project. We could easily end up with a 1.0 version of the skin and a 2.0 version later.Also: I always like the idea of contests, and though I didn't respond to the idea initially, that's only because I've been giving it a lot of thought. Here's my only concern: In the past, I have had readers volunteer to do art for the newsletter who have become very offended when I didn't wind up using it. I'm just concerned that if we have contest, there'll be a lot more people whose work isn't picked than is. Will they be disappointed to the point of feeling rejected?But I will allow myself to be guided by your judgment. I certainly would feel more comfortable promoting the contest itself in the forum only, at least at first. If only because a great many people who are artists may know very little about how to dress a forum.Despite my hesitation, I have to say I love the idea. I always love stuff that's fun. Having a contest is just the sort of reason why I wanted to open a forum in the first place.Mike2Mike I hope I'm not blowing your cover by explaining to everyone that you and I co-moderated the Computer Amerca forum for a good long while. Mike2 is still moderating there.http://www.computeramerica.com/cgi-bin/web...htalk/index.cgiMike, because you're right, it's a PITA, I will be posting a sticky note at the top of the other forums letting people know to come here. Ah, actually, we may even have a problem with that. I want to change the folder name this IPB install is in. I'd like to keep the threads we have so far, but it's possible I won't be able to. Something more to discover.Anyway, it will be done. I have a newsletter to put out for the 18th, and a dinner party this weekend, so it's possible it'll take me longer than I'm hoping.I intend to pay the $100 for IPB. Just because the company deserves to be paid. I don't mind crediting them too if I can figure out how to do that.I will definitely accept your help too on graphics/skins, whatever. Although, just to warn you, it's not going to be the black background look. :D To be honest, if I could get a green version of the default skin (and there is something like that with an ugly logo), I might be pretty happy. The purple one is a definite possibility. Cyndy would adore it.About saving a post, I love that idea. I don't see any way to do it. But any time anyone has an idea like that, let me know and I'll take it to the developers.And, oh ... I thought those were file cabinets until you explained.ParacelsusYour emphasis of what was already rattling around in my noggin, because Mike2 said it in an earlier post (no perfect software), is what finally prompted me to make a decision. Thanks.For what it's worth, I've had good luck running polls -- in the newsletter. I ran a poll to name Scot's Newsletter, and I offered more business-like names and names that sounded much better. They named it Scot's Newsletter. It wasn't even one of my choices, really. That was a temporary name. The thing I've found is that the newsletter's readers rarely steer me wrong. But when they do, they don't really mind if I tell them I've thought it over, and I had to make this other decision instead.In this case, though, we're not going with a poll. And you're right, it's easier.Arena2045I figured as much about removing the IPB logo and lettering on forum buttons, but I wasn't aware it was quite that easy. I guess I have to get my hands dirty in that code.You made good suggestions about making it easier to save links to posts in the Your Personal Notepad area of My Controls.I have no intention to use Auto-pruning. I don't like the idea much. Of course, I say that now. Hopefully I'll have moderators who can help me with this process. I enjoy it, but may not have as much time for it as it deserves. So, anyway, that field is blank.But if a topic is manually pruned, it could cause the same problem, I suspect.Wouldn't it be nice if you could customize this My Assistant thing so that you could use it store/access links to Post Favorites, or whatever? That way you could pop it up wherever you were to quickly grab a link.And, finally, I agree with you about the new message indicator. I am only logging in with cookies here. It's just that the indicator for some reason doesn't stand out well for me.Has anyone else noticed that the link that takes you to "the latest unread post" seems a little funky and doesn't always work as advertised?-- Scot

I'm running IPB with the purple now and I like it much better. I just added a green skin option, but I don't like it much. I think I saw a skin somewhere that was just like the purple one, only blue. I'll see if I can find and add that one.What do you all think of the art on this page?The artist still has part of a retainer of mine, and she could probably do this sort of rendition of a bitmap sized to fit the IBP logo space. The background's a little dark, IMO.-- Scot

Scot, :D Congratulations on the decision to pick IPB! :D I don’t know about changing the folder that IPB installed in, but I would recommend (as I’m sure you already plan on doing is to) make a backup of the mySQL database for your IPB install.Admin > SQL Management > mySQL Back UpAbout the Skins: I do like the Purple one, but prefer shades of Blue because it is my favorite color.

Paracelsus,I don't think you can delete your own message. But if you would like me to delete, I would be happy to.-- Scot

Thanks, Arena2045. I will definitely be backing up! But I'm glad you suggested it in case I was having one of my little moments. :D Oh, and about the purple skin, it's at IBSkins.com. You have to register, then once you do, click the Database link in the upper right on home page. Then it's in the "Colors" folder. If you come across a plain blue one, would you let me know?I came across this place yesterday, but haven't had a chance to explore:http://www.ibfskinned.co.uk/Site/index.phpThen there's this skinning instruction guide on the same site, which is actually how I found the site:http://www.ibfskinned.co.uk/index.php?act=...=ST&f=66&t=1772-- Scot

Scot,Thanks for the URL’s!I think for my IPB test I’m going to stick with the Snow and Blue options. I’m going to posibily start skinning when I have some more time, I’m swamped with my sites right now…I’m no expert on IPB (I learn quickly), but you can turn on the option so that users can delete their own posts.Admin > Users and Groups > Manage User Groups > Posting Permissions > Can delete own posts? > Yes/NoJust thought that I would save you the trouble of pulling your hair out looking for it if you want to change it.

Everything sounds good Scott and I took a look at that page with the art on it and I see the graphics have a nice background color is that the color your thinking about when you mention a purple color for forum? The same thought went through my mind to about people getting upset because their art didn't get used. Just have to make it loud and clear to them I guess.I think it's great your buying the software and you can still leave the branding on the forum for credit or reword the branding by editing the index.php file. As far as changing the directory name I believe you should be able to do all of this through the Admin control panel - Board Settings - Basic Config. Not 100% positive on it, but worth looking at.The new post indicator is hard to tell difference if it's lite up or not because they didn't use enough contrasting color in the graphic. We can fix that with new buttons anyway, time to dig photoshop out :D Well keep us informed, I usually check the forum couple times daily.

Arena2045, Paracelsus:

I’m no expert on IPB (I learn quickly), but you can turn on the option so that users can delete their own posts.
Done. Members can delete posts. I might change it back if the feature is ever abused. But if I did so, I would extend it to forum regulars. I really love the user group controls, btw.Also, I deleted the message, and edited my follow-on message. You may want to delete your follow-on message.-- Scot

Havnblast,By the way, I like your forum name.

I took a look at that page with the art on it and I see the graphics have a nice background color is that the color your thinking about when you mention a purple color for forum?
It's sort of an odd color, isn't it? It looks purple, until you put it against the purple of this forum, then it looks closer to light indigo to me, but with a faint purple cast.If you're not seeing the forum as purple, you may have selected the "Snow" skin in My Controls. The purple skin is currently the default for the forum (just so everyone could see it). I don't know that the art at that linked page quite goes with the purple skin. I'm not sure it would go with the blue either though. And I don't know if I was really thinking about trying to make the forum skin that color. This is the sort of stuff that drives me nuts! The artist should be able to change the background color though, and I think that could be our solution.
I think it's great your buying the software and you can still leave the branding on the forum for credit or reword the branding by editing the index.php file.
I might be having second thoughts about buying the software (at least right away) only because I'm thinking of buying the paid tech support ($60 a year). I might do both though. Yeah, I'll check the index.php file.
I believe you should be able to do all of this through the Admin control panel - Board Settings - Basic Config. Not 100% positive on it, but worth looking at.
Good point. You're right, it is possible that would work -- and it would be best if it did. Even if it doesn't, because the database is separate, I'm wondering whether I can't just uninstall, reinstall to the new directory, and all the posts, users, etc., will be saved. Instead of guessing, though, I've posted the question in the IPB support area. Let's see what they say. I definitely want to save what we've got already if possible. And I aim to do this quickly, so I can promote the new forum with the next issue of the newsletter, next Tues.It'll still be a "beta" forum, under construction, but I think it's ready to take traffic.
The new post indicator is hard to tell difference if it's lite up or not because they didn't use enough contrasting color in the graphic.
Bingo. That's what I'm talking about. Although, it's better in the purple, and without the IPB lettering in it. I think a simpler graphic would be better. What do you think about putting in a red "gleam" (as if it were a small LED on the face of the button) when there's a new post? Is that too much? I tend to think about UI in very software-like terms, having reviewed software for as long as I have ...Anyway, cool. I'm so glad you offered to help! I'm really getting excited about all this.-- Scot

Scott you can't reinstall and have the mysql database not get written over - states right in the installation that everything will be lost - now if you renamed all the tables to a different name that you currently have and than reinstall using same prefix as original table names, than you would have to delete all the tables from reinstall and rename the old tables back to original and with like 50 some tables that would take some time. Or backup the database than install and restore the database(much easier). That's my only logical way I can see doing that.I am using the default skin purple here, took me a while to get use to it, but I do like the background color in your banners. Yes I agree with having like a indicator that stands out more, was thinking of a button for New Post and no New Post, have a button with SNFL in it and than when someone makes a new post the SNFL will light up within the button. I am hoping tomorrow I can whip one up real quick and show ya.I would definetly get the Forum in the next newsletter let the people come and see. BTW thanks for the compliment on my Forum.

Hey, Havnblast.

Or backup the database than install and restore the database(much easier).
That's exactly how I was planning to do it if I had to go that way. But ... according to the support forum, I CAN do it the way you proposed last night. Although I think it'll work better if I just shut down the board, rename the folder, edit the config_global.php file, and then reopen the board. I think I'm going to try it that way.Of course, I'm still going to back up the database first using phpMyAdmin. I'm copying off the entire forum installation first. So, if this shortcut doesn't work, I can always take the longer approach.Then I just need to setup a redirect from the old URL. And we should be in business.Unless anyone thinks it's a bad idea, I'm planning this as the URL:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/
I am using the default skin purple here, took me a while to get use to it, but I do like the background color in your banners.
Just for the record, I'm not in love with this purple. I just prefer it slightly to the default blue. Its contrast is a little better, plus it's easier for me to think about design when I'm not trying to peer around the IPB logos. I'm still looking for a blue, green, or beige (huh?) default-like skin. But if you like the background color of my banners, then maybe we should explore that.
Yes I agree with having like a indicator that stands out more, was thinking of a button for New Post and no New Post, have a button with SNFL in it and than when someone makes a new post the SNFL will light up within the button. I am hoping tomorrow I can whip one up real quick and show ya.
Ok, sounds cool! Keep in mind too that it's not necessary in my mind for us to "brand" the buttons with something that says "Scot's Newsletter." I know a lot of boards do that, but I'm willing to let the branding be carried solely by the logo at the top. So the other idea, a simple button face with just a tiny LED on it (like the kind you might see on a boom-box on/off button), probably off center, would be just fine too. I like the sense of 3-D, subtly. That's actually what the buttons are now. You can see that better without any branding.Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.-- Scot

Hey Scot,

Done. Members can delete posts. I might change it back if the feature is ever abused. But if I did so, I would extend it to forum regulars. I really love the user group controls
Oh, I wasn’t expecting or suggesting that you turn it on, I just posted the location so you wouldn’t have to dig for it. :o But I think it can come in handy, like the case for Paracelsus when his post became irrelevant.

Guest Paracelsus
Hey Scot,
Done. Members can delete posts. I might change it back if the feature is ever abused. But if I did so, I would extend it to forum regulars. I really love the user group controls
Oh, I wasn’t expecting or suggesting that you turn it on, I just posted the location so you wouldn’t have to dig for it. :o But I think it can come in handy, like the case for Paracelsus when his post became irrelevant.
That's true. Actually, I wasn't thinking of the potential problems having Delete activated might cause. Perhaps it was just my own vanity? I often take sooo long to compose a post, that by the time I hit Add Reply, someone else has posted an answer or commented on the situation (and often far more intelligently than mself)... which makes my response look like a Duh! :o ... or "Why'd he even bother"?? :o In any event, I can see the advantages of Not having Delete active.1) It would require that people think a bit more (or take time to cool off, if they're upset about something) before posting. Otherwise their imprudence will remain for all to see (not a bad thing), unless they plead directly to Scot.2) The context of the Thread remains intact. I have come across some old threads in other Forums, where someone had gone back an deleted their posts, and this can make it difficult for a future reader to follow the "Thought Process" of the Problem/Question/Debate being held by the other respondents.I myself prefer to follow a thread I haven't read before from the Intial Post, to the last, in it's entirety,for just this reason.As far as anyone "Abusing" the right to delete their posts, however...From what I've seen of the other Forum I regularly participate in... People who Flame, or are verbally abusive, generally "Hit 'n Run" and don't come back later; or even care about what they've said. And in situations such as this, the Admins and Moderators can take appropriate action.

Good points, all.Fwiw, I've been in forums where someone flamed someone else, then that person flamed back, the first person deleted his post, and the second person got "in trouble." But frankly, I don't expect this kind of stuff in this forum. I've been interacting with SFNL readers for a couple of years now, and they are just the nicest group of people. I'm not saying none of us ever has a testy moment. But I think we can live with message delete for a while.The thing is, I'm not a big person for maximum control. I believe in freedom. If a few bad apples spoil it, well, we'll figure out another way. Until then, anything you guys think I should turn on or off, I'm definitely listening.-- Scot