Running Mepis in Virtual Box.

irvdk

I am back trying to run Mepis in Vista with Virtual Box.I am running Vista, with 2 gig and a 19†flat panel monitor set to 1440 X 900. I have tried the F3 trick to select the right resolution at boot, but it always comes back that I cannot get the height correct, and the screen has to be scrolled up and down. I have installed the Additions.Second problem is the mouse being very erratic?? I have tried to follow some of what I have read, but get lost along the line.Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• irvdk

• Bruno

• Urmas

• cybormoron

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Irv! :huh: Is it the Logitech mouse mentioned in an earlier thread? It's misbehaving in VBox... there is a bug ticket about it.The default resolution (with additions) is 1024x768... it fits, if you run VBox FULL SCREEN (see PM). If you want to run Mepis @1440x900, let us know... we have to do a small edit in /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf . :)

Hi Irv! :huh: Is it the Logitech mouse mentioned in an earlier thread? It's misbehaving in VBox... there is a bug ticket about it.The default resolution (with additions) is 1024x768... it fits, if you run VBox FULL SCREEN (see PM). If you want to run Mepis @1440x900, let us know... we have to do a small edit in /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf . :huh:
Yes I would like to run it at 1440...But be gentle :) If there is a bug ticket about the mouse....I seem to remember something about that...where would I find it??

Yes I would like to run it at 1440...But be gentle :)
OK... goes like this... DISCLAIMER: I don't have a widescreen display, so those who have one (or several) are welcome to chime in.Open the terminal... Mepis is a "KDE distro", so it's called Konsole. Type:
kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

(X11="upper-case-X-eleven")The file will be opened for editing in Kwrite text editor. Scroll down to "Screen section"... yours is not identical to one below, but... add "1440x900" as shown in red:

Section "Screen" Identifier "Default Screen" Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]" Monitor "L1710S" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth 1 Modes "1440x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 4 Modes "1440x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 8 Modes "1440x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 15 Modes "1440x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 16 Modes "1440x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 24 Modes "1440x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" EndSubSection
Save changes. Exit. Close and restart "Virtual Mepis". Keep fingers crossed. Think pure thoughts. :D
If there is a bug ticket about the mouse....I seem to remember something about that...where would I find it??
Here's one: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/768 :whistling:

OK... goes like this... DISCLAIMER: I don't have a widescreen display, so those who have one (or several) are welcome to chime in.Open the terminal... Mepis is a "KDE distro", so it's called Konsole. Type:

(X11="upper-case-X-eleven")The file will be opened for editing in Kwrite text editor. Scroll down to "Screen section"... yours is not identical to one below, but... add "1440x900" as shown in red:Save changes. Exit. Close and restart "Virtual Mepis". Keep fingers crossed. Think pure thoughts. :whistling: Here's one: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/768 :)

Sorry,but although I thought the purest of thought (at least for me) no go. I went back in and checked to be sure that I saved it correctly and it is saved.I did notice that the monitor file does not show the correct model:Section "Monitor" Identifier "ATIMonitor" VendorName "ViewSonic" ModelName "14ES" Option "DPMS" "true" HorizSync 31-51.0 VertRefresh 50-75EndSectionRemember one thing it does this right from boot! It's not like it boots into the desktop and changes.I await your reply,

Remember one thing it does this right from boot! It's not like it boots into the desktop and changes.
Does what from boot? Remains @1024x768? The way VBox behaves (VBox Additions installed), it loads the OS "with" 1024x768 almost "until" the login screen... that's when the "better resolution" kicks in.Anyway:
Section "Monitor"Identifier "ATIMonitor"VendorName "ViewSonic"ModelName "14ES"Option "DPMS" "true"HorizSync 31-51.0VertRefresh 50-75EndSection
Try changing HorizSync to 30-90... VertRefresh seems to be right.

Does what from boot? Remains @1024x768? The way VBox behaves (VBox Additions installed), it loads the OS "with" 1024x768 almost "until" the login screen... that's when the "better resolution" kicks in.Anyway:Try changing HorizSync to 30-90... VertRefresh seems to be right.
Still the same. I have an old USB mouse, so now I am using two mouses. At least now it is a little easier to control things.Any other idea's?

Did you restart Mepis after xorg.conf modification? :) Working properly?
Yes I did restart it after I did each one and then went back to double check. I have to actually use both of the mouse's.The mouse is just a straight line, but I'm sure it's just because I haven't set it. Anything else you can think of? I think I would really like Mepis if I could get the screen right. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

Yes I did restart it after I did each one and then went back to double check. I have to actually use both of the mouse's.The mouse is just a straight line, but I'm sure it's just because I haven't set it. Anything else you can think of? I think I would really like Mepis if I could get the screen right. Thanks for hanging in there with me!
Forgive me for butting in people but I would like to ask a few questions, if I may?1. Are you, Irv, trying to run Mepis at the max resolution and since it doesn't you think it wont work if you install it?2. Have you tried burning a CD and run it Live and see if the resolution worked?3. Do you have space on your hard drive and could you install Mepis temporarily to see if it would work at your chosen resolution?

Forgive me for butting in people but I would like to ask a few questions, if I may?1. Are you, Irv, trying to run Mepis at the max resolution and since it doesn't you think it wont work if you install it?2. Have you tried burning a CD and run it Live and see if the resolution worked?3. Do you have space on your hard drive and could you install Mepis temporarily to see if it would work at your chosen resolution?
Thank you, your not butting in....It has been installed on the drive. I am not running it off the CD.

hi guys...i'm installing mepis 6.5 in vb now. i haven't tried it before so i don't know how it might work/respond in a virtualmachine. urmas and the guys know more than i do about xorg so i'm not sure what i might add. maybe i'll find something. i should be able to make a 1440x900 res because i have a 3200x1200 host. i'm not sure how a virtual machine acts with a same size res as the host. seems to me it would require scrolling somehow because of the Vb window chrome. mine have always been smaller than the host.thanks for the vote of confidence bruno. i don't know about expert, maybe more like exuberantshowoff. :) but i'm just being modest.PM notification didn't show up in my mail. board settings are ok. must be something wrong with my email.how're things in the golden triangle / city of bridges irvdk? i grew up there, in the highland park/east liberty area. haven't been there in 40 years but i am gonna return someday, hopefully. beat-em bucs.

Edited by cybormoron

hi guys...i'm installing mepis 6.5 in vb now. i haven't tried it before so i don't know how it might work/respond in a virtualmachine. urmas and the guys know more than i do about xorg so i'm not sure what i might add. maybe i'll find something. i should be able to make a 1440x900 res because i have a 3200x1200 host. i'm not sure how a virtual machine acts with a same size res as the host. seems to me it would require scrolling somehow. mine have always been smaller than the host.thanks for the vote of confidence bruno. i don't know about expert, maybe more like exuberantshowoff. :) but i'm just being modest.PM notification didn't show up in my mail. board settings are ok. must be something wrong with my email.how're things in the golden triangle / city of bridges irvdk? i grew up there, in the highland park/east liberty area. haven't been there in 40 years but i am gonna return someday, hopefully. beat-em bucs.
Thanks for trying to help. I have not been getting any board notifications all afternoon.I just don't want to have to scroll!!

Thanks for trying to help. I have not been getting any board notifications all afternoon.I just don't want to have to scroll!!
I have another problem now. I changed the mouse from PS2 to USB and now when it boots it comes up to the following screen:irv@tty2[~]$What do I have to do??
I have another problem now. I changed the mouse from PS2 to USB and now when it boots it comes up to the following screen:irv@tty2[~]$What do I have to do??
They all have to admit it's a beautiful city!! I was born in the Highland park area and then moved to Squirrel Hill when I was about 5. They are starting to rebuild that part of the city now.Off to dinner now, be back in an hour or so.Thanks Again

What does it do if you type "startx"?

Have you tried Urma's trick again?

and lowering the resolutions?Mind you since it is a fresh install maybe a "reinstall" is the easiest way since you are not going to loose much, if any.But you can ask for further advice.

Have you tried Urma's trick again?

and lowering the resolutions?Mind you since it is a fresh install maybe a "reinstall" is the easiest way since you are not going to loose much, if any.But you can ask for further advice.

Yea, I did try it and got an error. I am going to reinstall, but I am still going to have the original problem with the resolution.Maybe I need to go to a different flavor of Linux...?? Edited by irvdk

I have another problem now. I changed the mouse from PS2 to USB and now when it boots it comes up to the following screen:irv@tty2[~]$
My guess is that you are running Mepis "Live" in Virtualbox . . . and you did not do an actual "install" of the distro.For the USB to work you need the guest-additions to be installed, in a "Live" Mepis session they will be gone at the next reboot.:D Bruno

Let's see what we've got so far...@Steve:

i'm not sure how a virtual machine acts with a same size res as the host. seems to me it would require scrolling somehow because of the Vb window chrome. mine have always been smaller than the host.
It works fine here; My "host resolution" is 1280x1024, and if I set the guest to 1280x1024 AND SET IT TO FULL SCREEN MODE, it's a perfect fit. Being full screen, the "VBox control thingies" (the upper and lower bars) are invisible; the guest desktop uses the whole screen. Here's a screenshot of "virtual" Mandriva running in "fullscreen mode"; a perfect fit:kuvakaappaus219pg5.th.pngIf I want to run a virtual machine in "windowed mode", I use 1152×864. 160 "vertical pixels" allow for Vbox toolbars, host's panel... and then some. And full guest desktop. no need for scrolling.Ubuntu Studio (7.04) guest, "windowed mode" @1152x864... host is Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy":kuvakaappaus36hn3.th.pngSo... coming back to Irv's woes... Irv has a host resolution of 1440x900. The default guest ("non-widescreen") resolution is 1024*768. That's 132 "extra" vertical pixels. Is Vista's panel (or whachamacallit... bar&grille???) significally higher than that of Ubuntu (see screenie #2)? That would explain the need for scrolling in "windowed mode". When run in "fullscreen mode", though, there should be a black "frame" around the (1024x768) virtual Mepis desktop. Is this the case, Irv?As for your not being able to "get" the desired 1440x900 guest resolutions... try the "next best" widescreen resolution first; in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, replace the "1440x900" entries with "1280x800"... what happens?Mouse... you say...
I have to actually use both of the mouse's.The mouse is just a straight line, but I'm sure it's just because I haven't set it.
BOTH? Why? What happens if you remove the Logitech? The "straight line" bit... if you can use the mouse/s, go to Settings -> Devices -> Mouse (or something like that, "Control Center"...), and try other cursor themes.Finally:
Maybe I need to go to a different flavor of Linux...??
No silver bullet there, I'm afraid... however: other distros' default cursor themes are likely NOT to give you hard time... and some distros have easy "GUI" tools for resolution issues (Mandriva etc.)... your call.Oh, and Steve said he's doing Mepis VBox install... stay tuned... he's got that nasty habit of posting HOWTOs with screenshots. :D Edited by Urmas

bruno...i think he has it installed but maybe didn't actually install the guest additions. post #12 says he installed it. post 1 says he installed the guest additions but i wonder how he did it. i can't get the guest additions installed. no kernel headers. synaptic only has the headers for a 2.4 kernel. uname -r shows 2.6.15-27. other boot options are 2.6 also. i'm trying to figure out how to update the synaptic repos or maybe do a apt-get to get the kernel-headers installed.i think he got the console screen after editing xorg and then the startx command gave him the error screen. the backup file would fix that.irv...did you install mepis from the desktop icon or is it running in "demo" mode?as for the guest additions it is a 2 step process.first you mount the guest additions iso. then you install them as root in a terminal.did you cd into the mounted directory?

cd /media/cdrom

and run this shell script?

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

once we make sure you have the guest additions installed then we can edit xorg.

do you think he has the guest additions installed correctly urmas?
Sheesh... nope. No. Good catch, Steve. :D OK... now we're getting somewhere... Irv?
synaptic only has the headers for a 2.4 kernel. uname -r shows 2.6.15-27. other boot options are 2.6 also. i'm trying to figure out how to update the synaptic repos or maybe do a apt-get to get the kernel-headers installed.
You sure? I went through my "VBox screenshots"; I have Mepis 6.5 "VBoxed". This is how it went:In Konsole:
$ cd /media/cdrom$ su# sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

returned this:kuvakaappaus22vm4.th.pngBut I had no trouble finding the required 2.6.15-27-desktop headers:kuvakaappaus24rq7.th.pngThose installed, it was a milk run:kuvakaappaus26gi3.th.png

Edited by Urmas

duhhhh, cybormoron smacks self in head. i need linux-headers not kernel-headers. i've done this before with other distros but i can never remember. some distros use the kernel-headers, some use linux-headers, some use the kernel-devel source to compile against. i'll remember this one of these days. thanks urmas.maybe irv does have the guest additions installed correctly. mepis022jk6.th.pngmepis023xe6.th.pngmepis024ho4.th.png

some distros use the kernel-headers, some use linux-headers, some use the kernel-devel source to compile against.
Yup... it's the basics that always manage to bite ya...schuhe1ae7.gif :D

Yup... it's the basics that always manage to bite ya...schuhe1ae7.gif :D
Wow guys, You got me so confused it will take me a few hours to sort this all out. I got so discussed with the whole thing that late last night I deleted the distro and installed PCLinuxos.I am going to see if I have the same problem with it.I am going to reinstall Mepis to see if I can follow some of your ideas and questions.You guys are great!! B)

Irv,If you're going with PCLos, check out the "pictutorial" Steve made ("Installing PCLos 2007 ( Virtualbox slideshow )" ):http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=19776 :D
OK, I have gone through this three times. I get to the point in the presentation where you type in:http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/irvdk/Capture-5.jpgThis is what I have on the desktop...http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k180/irvdk/pclos.jpgWhen I open up the drive I show both files, pcLinux and Vboxadditions just like it shows in the slide show!How can this be so hard....?? B)

hi irv...pclos mounts the additions iso with a different name. instead of cd'ing into media/cdrom you need to cd into /media/VBOXADDITIONS_1.5.0_24069. the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file should be found in there. i think my slideshow is from a previous version which means the info won't be exactly right. there's really too many changes going on too fast to keep up.i empathize with you on this virtualbox. i'm starting to become less than enchanted with Virtualbox myself. each distro seems to do something different. the first few distros i tried went smoothly but lately more and more i'm running into little issues. probably something i'm doing wrong but it is challenging at times.i finally got mepis guest additions installed but now it's randomly aborting on me so i don't know what i'm going to do at this point.

Edited by cybormoron