Windows XP SP3

Scot

So much for a non-disclosure ban... B) This is what really makes sense to me:

"We appreciate the excitement to evaluate Windows Vista SP1 as soon as possible. However, the service pack is still in the development phase and will undergo several changes before being released," a (MS)spokeswoman said in an e-mail.
IMHO a service pack that is primarily a roll-up, is designed to be a "convenience" by including all previous SPs and hotfixes between them. Performance has never been a selling point, only security.

So much for a non-disclosure ban... :hysterical: This is what really makes sense to me: IMHO a service pack that is primarily a roll-up, is designed to be a "convenience" by including all previous SPs and hotfixes between them. Performance has never been a selling point, only security.
Not in this case. MS is actually admitting defeat with the major anti-piracy components of Vista and scaling them way back in SP1. This is a major "feature enhancement" in my opinion.

Not in this case.
Oh really ?The keyword in my last post should have been the highlighted convenience word. I still maintain that. If you take the time to read Paul Thurrott's review in post #6, he seems to agree as well, though there are contradictions and flaws in his report. Before I start my rant, don't get me wrong on one thing: I like and respect his work, and promote many of his articles and fixes. But what I don't agree with is the following passages, starting with the 1st paragraph:
seriously, folks: It's time to walk away. There's just nothing compelling here when you compare XP with SP3 to its much newer and improved counterpart, Windows Vista
That's surprising coming from someone that should know better, and most likely has run Vista more than a few times around the block. As many of you already know, there have been far more negatives than positives about the "latest and greatest" OS version that MS is ramming down down the public's throat. And while I agree with you that Vista's "scaling back" of the DRM and other anti-piracy measures may be a "convenience", it has a long way to go before people are going to jump back on the bandwagon en masse.In the 3rd paragraph, he contradicts himself:
the combination of XP and SP3 represents the height of security that's possible on the aging XP platform. And that's a pretty solid system, frankly, though it still falls short of the security and stability inherent to Vista
It's only normal that Vista will have less vulnerabilities than XP. It's been out barely a year ! :blink: And if you don't go crazy with all the constant permission prompts that Vista pops out at you, then you're on Ritalin or heavy dose of trusty old Valium... <_<
Certainly, XP is faster than Vista on the same hardware, regardless of which service packs are installed. But that's the nature of upgrades
Duh !! B)
XP SP3 does not install newer versions of Internet Explorer or Windows Media Player. So if you were to slipstream XP and SP3 together, you'd still have to upgrade from IE 6 to IE 7 later.
This far into the article, this is the only good news I see. (I hate IE7 and WMP 11 does nothing more than version 10 IMO).For an MS-MVP, I really wonder who his intended audience is. Or is he being courted by MS to say nice things about Vista... :hmm:

I'm not wasting any time getting SP3 for XP, I quite like Vista. All those permission thingies can be turned off and with a bit of tweaking here and there it can be customized to suit almost anyone. Just don't try and run it on an older computer. B)