Mozilla 1.5 Alpha Officially Released!

GolfProRM

woah... how did i miss this one? :) i must've dozed off last night. ;)actually, reading thru release notes, this release has the least amount of new stuff that i've seen in a moz release. fair amount of work done on Composer, a couple of tweaks to tabs, and then some technical tweaks/bug fixing. thats a good sign. might mean all their programmers are working on firebird/thunderbird instead. :)

SonicDragon
might mean all their programmers are working on firebird/thunderbird instead.
Are they going to start merging in this release?

Sonic,Nobody really knows when the merger will actually take place... There's a lot of speculation about Mozilla 1.5b starting the merger, but can't say for sure yet...After reading some more stuff on the MozillaZine forums, it sounds like it'll be awhile before we actually have only ONE browser to talk about. From what I can tell, Moz1.5 and FB0.7 will be released at about the same time, and Moz1.6/FB0.8 will be the same way...So all I can tell is that there's going to be an FB0.8... Don't know how much of the transformation will have happened by this time, but we should know more later.

i guess i should be asking this question to mozilla.org, but why bother with any more 1.5 and 1.6 and 1.7 releases? why not just say "We are making Mozilla 2.0, which will merge the phoenix/thunderbird code, and all bug fixes / small improvements to mozilla will be 1.4.1, 1.4.2, etc..."i almost get the impressin they dont have good leardership to lead them to a ONE browser solution, and in the meantime, they'll confuse and scatter a lot of folks with their 2 seperate browsers strategy. or maybe they know something we dont, in terms of some parts being impossible to merge, so are keeping them seperate for now? just my thoughts on this.

Prelude... I understand exactly what you're thinking and I'm not sure either...My thought is that it's tough to merge two products that are this far apart in the development process. If they wanted to switch to Firebird tomorrow, they could, as both browsers are built from the same sourcecode... There's just a few tags in the configuration that are added to create Firebird. This means that any changes that are made to the rendering software do affect both browsers. As far as the development process goes, there isn't even officially one full time firebird developer yet. From what I can tell, they've got a few different guys working on GRE (Gecko Rendering Engine) fixes, a couple guys dealing with the Mozilla Suite UI and a couple guys (in their spare time), working on Firebird UI. The other issue in the whole merger is Thunderbird. There has been a lot of development to T-bird (helped by the fact that the developer was laid off from Netscape), and I know they want to get this somewhat caught up on this end too...This all means that as they continue to make improvements to Firebird, there are just about as many improvements made to Mozilla proper. I'm guessing based on the info released from the last developers meeting, we're looking at about 8mos-1yr before we see what could be called Mozilla2.0 (the final integration)....

i think Mozilla is at the beginning stage of starting to drop the ball. :D instead of taking 1 year to develop mozilla and firebird seperatly, they could take 6 months or less and make mozilla firebird a reality. this dual-development is kinda stupid, IMO. i even read some article (i think from UK's The Register) that bascially said "Mozilla 1.4 will be final mozilla based on old outdated netscape code. finally, mozilla.org is doing it the right way by making Firebird the next version of mozilla." and they kept ridiculing how mozilla kept dragging the overbloated sea-monkey code for so long that Apple dropped them and went with Safari as main browser, but that mozilla might turn tables around with the new firebird code.hmm, i wonder what their NEXT article will be once mozilla 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 get released on seamonkey code. :D taking a year to merge the two is pure bull. that gives microsoft/opera a full year to develop their own products. if firebird was finished and released now, it would re-awaken a nice browser war and might make IE the number 2 choice for everyone. but if its released in a year, no one will care or remember by then, as everyone will be upgrading to the next version of Windows. but like golfprorm says, its quite unclear exactly what mozilla is up to. their not setting a date when it will merge. but i was hoping for 1.5 or 1.6 release myself.

Again another disapointment, i dont know when would they actually announce when would the final merger would take place and at which version,for now i am sticking to , Moz 1.4 and even 1.5 isnt so much of a 1.5 apart from fixes to composer and other things........minor, i want to see coolstuff being introduced or done at the core rendering engine level, thats when its gets exciting and also feels so good to upgrade too. ;)

i was thinking, maybe they have a lot more issues with firebird/thunderbird left to resolve, and dont want to wait on mozilla?i read that firebird 0.6.1 was released *without* many of the fixes for firebird 0.7 because 0.7 has lots of regressions from 0.6 (regression means more bugs? i dont know exact meaning). and thunderbird just recently entered 0.1 version. so maybe a year of development might still be required.still, the press might be harsh to mozilla since they too were lead to believe 1.4 was last old-code mozilla. :)

There are quite a few issues in FB/TB that need to be fixed before they can take over as Mozilla's project...FB 0.6.1 will be (Release candidates are out, but the final release hasn't been announced yet), and is based off the Mozilla1.5alpha trunk, not the current 1.5beta trunk as they felt the 1.5a was a bit more stable... They had some regressions (bugs that didn't exist in 0.6 but do now) that weren't fixed in the 1.5a, but have been since, so they did fix them for this release (didn't want the new release to be buggier than the old). They've had a lot of issues with the current nightlies with odd bugs popping up every day (extensions wouldn't install, frames didn't work, profile problems, etc), so they didn't want to use these as a release... The major point of 0.6.1 is to give the people still running the 0.6 milestone a new build to use that has been updated thoroughly since 0.6.As far as Tbird, 0.1 is on it's way (again no official announcement), but it is making a lot of progress (helps when its developer is unemployed). It is probably at least 6 months from being ready to go, so it might be close to a year before we see the transition...

• 1 month later...