cdrecord / cdcopy question...

quint

Hi all,Have been using "cdrecord" & "cdcopy" recently to burn CD's, and really am starting to like it more than "K3b". :D I think that I'm finally learning the command-line a little, and these two programs are great! :lol: I do have one question, however: why do they invariably turn "burn-free" off? :D When using K3b, it utilizes "burn-free", to a very fine degree. Guess it doesn't matter, as my "burns" have been 100% successful, but was just wondering, thanks. :lol:

Hi Quint,This is a good question . . a very good question . . . what means as much as: ¨I don´t have a clue¨My guess is, and that is just a very wild guess, because both programs don´t have a GUI they can get 100% of the power from CPU and memory . . . . maybe in that case the ¨burn under run¨ or ¨burn free¨ is not needed . . . now, I could be very wrong there !Something that I did remark myself is that the ¨leading in¨ and ¨leading out¨ go faster too . . so that the whole burning process is quicker as well. ( but this might just be because I like those programs so much that I might be biased :lol: ):D Bruno

Thanks, Bruno...have been searching, and have not come up with anything; it really doesn't matter, since I will continue to use this "command-line burn process" in the future...was just curious, thanks again. :lol:

linuxdude32
I do have one question, however: why do they invariably turn "burn-free" off? <_< When using K3b, it utilizes "burn-free", to a very fine degree.
When I first started burning CDs under Linux (a year ago) I used cdrecord, too only because the how-to still describes burning CDs that way. K3b and any other CD burning program, like xcdroast still uses cdrecord to do the actual "work", anyway. I've never heard of, or tried, cdcopy though. I'll have to look it up.Anyhow, I don't know the answer to your question, quint, but I can guess! :lol: k3b probably just runs a switch to turn it on, since pretty much every burner nowadays supports burnfree. Even without burnfree, underruns are usually fairly uncommon now that they use use enough buffer memory and because burns happen so fast. Buffer underruns are even more uncommon under Linux and have been for a while (even when they were common under Windows). Linux is just better at coordinating drive activity.Run cdrecord with this option to turn burnfree on: driveropts=burnfree . It does say in the manpage that:"The default is to turn BURN-Free off, regardless of the defaults of the drive."In the beginning of the k3brc file (it's in ~/.kde/share/config/ on my system, might be a bit different on yours) it does have this listed for my drive:[Devices]Writer1=/dev/sr0,40,24,auto,auto,yes,yes,8192,24,yesI bet one of those 'yes' is for burnfree.

Thanks, Jason...very informative. :lol: Bruno gave us this link to "cdcopy" a while ago, and it really is a superb - albeit small - program...hope you enjoy it as much as I have. <_< cdcopy