Shared PDF Printer

chr1s

Hi all,I'm wanting to do some PDF printing for users on our network (at work). All the clients are Windows PC's at the moment but this is a chance at getting a Linux box in to do a very useful task.Basically I noticed from my home setup of Mandrake 9.1 that (when Samba's up and running), there's a "PDF-Generator" printer shared out. I'd like to use this shared printer so that all our Windows PC's can create PDF documents. How can I go about this? I've seen a few documents online about how to set this up but it's from scratch. Since Mandrake 9.1 has it there as default I thought I'd check here first to see if there was an easy way of utilising it. So far I have the Linux PC up and running on our domain (using that Samba tool I posted about earlier - makes it sooooo easy) and I can see the PDF-Generator from a Windows PC. Is it just a case of selecting the right driver in Windows?Thanks in advance,Chris.

Sorry ChrisIt sure looks like PDF printing over Samba does not have many adepts here, still there might be a hardcore Samba user who will step in one day and help you solve this . . . Rons got his printing over Samba solved, but there was no talk about PDF.I hope if you do find the solotion you will post it here for later reference. :):) Bruno

nlinecomputers

Honestly I think that is a mistake on Mandrakes part. The default settings in Samba will replcatate all installed printers on the Linux box. PDF-generator is not a real printer but hooks in as a printer driver. So on the linux box if you choose to print to the PDF printer you get a dialog box asking you for file name and location to save the file. That can't be sent over SMB as it is not a real printer and no windows drivers exists for it. If you think about it that makes sense. All a printer driver does, even a fake driver like a PDF driver, is take your written information in your file and convert it into commands a printer can understand. Or in the case of a PDF it converts it into a file that Adobe Reader can read. All that is done on the home machine not the server. When you print to a samba server you send the same commands you would to the printer they just get moved over the network first. If you want a free PDF generator look at PDF-Creator for windows at:http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/PDFcreator

Cheers for that - I'll check it out.You can set it up to do PDF. What you do is set the Windows PC to use a standard postscript driver but point at the Linux PDF printer. The "printer" on the Linux PC actually executes a command that runs ps2pdf to convert the file and put it into a shared directory that the user can then access. The one for Windows sounds like a plan though - cheers for that :)Chris.