connecting to a router

réjean

Hi all!I'm not sure if this is more a hardware question than a networking but I'll ask it here anyway.Right now I have a computer downstairs running Win XP that my wife uses. We'll call it "A".Then I have another one upstairs running XP ( for games only ) but mostly Linux that I'll call "B". This is my personnal machine.They are both connected to a router and I have no problems with them ( I shouldn't say that but it is irrelevent right now).I want to hook up another computer right now running Win98 SE ( we'll call it "C" ) also upstairs beside the previous one , and use it to watch tvonmypc and saving up some files from my wife's computer ( A ).There is an ethernet card on the "C" computer and I have one that I could add to the "B" computer ( both upstairs and side by side.) I am presently connecting computer B with an onboard ethernet card.So here are my options;1. Using a extra 50 feet ethernet cable that I will have to run down the wall into the basement and back up into the computer room downstairs. I have connected the actual upstairs computer "B" this way.2. Could I put the spare ethernet card in the "B" computer and use a short cable ( about 6 feet which I have also) to connect the other computer "C" to it and access the network this way. Will I be able to get online this way from the C computer? Will I be able to see the downstairs computer?Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Hi all!I'm not sure if this is more a hardware question than a networking but I'll ask it here anyway.Right now I have a computer downstairs running Win XP that my wife uses. We'll call it "A".Then I have another one upstairs running XP ( for games only ) but mostly Linux that I'll call "B". This is my personnal machine.They are both connected to a router and I have no problems with them ( I shouldn't say that but it is irrelevent right now).I want to hook up another computer right now running Win98 SE ( we'll call it "C" ) also upstairs beside the previous one , and use it to watch tvonmypc and saving up some files from my wife's computer ( A ).There is an ethernet card on the "C" computer and I have one that I could add to the "B" computer ( both upstairs and side by side.) I am presently connecting computer B with an onboard ethernet card.So here are my options;1. Using a extra 50 feet ethernet cable that I will have to run down the wall into the basement and back up into the computer room downstairs. I have connected the actual upstairs computer "B" this way.2. Could I put the spare ethernet card in the "B" computer and use a short cable ( about 6 feet which I have also) to connect the other computer "C" to it and access the network this way. Will I be able to get online this way from the C computer? Will I be able to see the downstairs computer?Any suggestion will be appreciated.
You could do that with Internet Sharing under Windows but I don't know if Linux has the equivalent. But the simplest thing would be to use an old hub or switch or even a router if you have one lying around. Connect the wire coming from the basement to it and then run two short wires to the two computers.

Thanks lewmur!I may not have been explicit but that is what I wanted to hear.Computer "B", upstairs already connected to a router. Will connect computer "C" also upstairs to "B" and hope to get online this way. By the time I reply I hope to have it working!

Hello,Have you considered purchasing an Ethernet switch (or hub) and two patch cables and then plugging the connection from the router into the uplink port on the switch (assuming it require one) and then plugging the computer's "B" and "C" into the unused ports on the switch? This will allow you to skip having to do any Internet connection sharing on the Windows-based PC, which can be problematic to set up at times.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

You can do the same thing in Linux with the second Ethernet card. You just have to enable IPV4 forwarding in the kernel and setup the appropriate firewall rule for a Network Address Translation (NAT) configuration. Then configure the "client" with the new gateway and DNS settings because you won't get the benefit of a DHCP address, although you could set up dhcpd on the Linux box. o:)

Ok!Before I start buying all kinds of gadgets let me recap my situation in a vertical way starting from upstairs;upstairs;1. one computer running mostly linux with an onboard ethernet connection ( connected to a router downstairs with a long cable that has to go all the way down in the basement and up to the first floor ( where the router is ).2.another computer with (only) an ethernet card for now.first floor;1. a router connected to the sole phone cable ; the upstairs computer is plugged into it. so is the computer downstairs ( running Win XP ).So what I wanted to avoid was to run an ethernet cable from the 2nd computer upstairs to the router downstairs, via the basement.There is still one port left on the router for me to do so.Since I had an extra ethernet card I was wondering if I could piggy-up the main computer upstairs to access the router downstairs.Now it seems that your hub/switch suggestions involve just as much work of running cables of some sort ( ethernet or phone ) so I might just as well run a cable from computer "C" ( upstairs, parallel to computer "B" cable ( upstairs too ) to the router.Or if I want to buy a gimmick then I might as well buy a wireless ethernet card and plug it into computer "C". It would be about the same price.Don't you think?Using a long 50 feet cable ( which I have ) between Computer "C" and the router is a 1 or two hour job ( making bigger wholes in floors and walls but then I plug it into the router and I am online.So I thought that adding an ethernet card ( which I also have ) to computer "B" and a small cable ( which I also have ) between "B" and "C" ( since "C" already have it's own ethernet card ) would be fast but require some figuring.So I guess that I might as well get an ethernet wireless card when I go to town next week and start learning about wireless. My router has wireless capability built in anyway.

Edited by réjean

Hello,What is the physical distance between computer B (your Linux workstation) and computer C (the Windows 98SE media and file server)? Are they in the same room or are they separated by a wall or walls?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

réjean, you remove the wire that is currently hooked into computer B from the router. You plug this wire into a switch. You buy two short ethernet cables. You put one short cable from the switch to computer B and the other short cable from the switch to computer C. You will have two new wires upstairs under your desk but there is no drilling nor running wires thru holes in the floor. You will also be able to add computers D and E upstairs, LOL!Wireless is a consideration but the three major drawbacks:1. wireless gizmos cost more than switches2. wireless is less secure. I always go wired when given the chance.3. unless you can determine ahead of time, if the signal works, you may buy the wireless gizmo and then discover that you can't get a signal or a very weak one so computer C will still not be connected.

Cluttermagnet
I just found a 2nd short ethernet cable in my drawer.I'll be getting one of the following switch;http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....;affixedcode=WWhttp://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....;affixedcode=WWwhen we go to town next week.
Both links return:
Enter Canadian Postal CodeFor an accurate list of available items and inventory in your area, we need to find out some more information about your location.
...and they fail to display the requested info.Another poorly thought out website. There are many. Nearly the entire phenomenon of 'abandoned shopping carts' happens because these stupid businesses assume you are going to buy. They grab you by the nose, force you through the process just to get a price or shipping cost. The correct method: Display the requested info immediately. Display the price, even if it can be later modified (reduced) with special customer codes, coupons, etc. Make the calculation of shipping a simple 'list area code and click once'. But no, they make you jump through their hoops. Some of these idiots make you go so far as to list personal info, credit card, etc. just to get a shipping cost. Abandoned carts are frequent because of such abysmal stupidity.But I'm glad you are getting a unit. It looks like a good, simple way to solve your problem. A lot of us could use one of those. :whistling: Edited by Cluttermagnet

You're absolutely right Clutter. I have myself given up several times buying online from different stores for the reasons you mentioned.If you want to look at the items just use this postal code; B0C-1G0. That should work but I think it is case sensitive.

Edited by réjean

Whoa, the first one connects up to 8 computers/printers/switches LOL. Hey, now you'll have lots of growing room. B) switcha.gifIf your router is a d-link, I'd be inclined to go with that, simply because I think products from the same company play better together.switchb.gifOf course, then you are limited to four upstairs computers. :hmm:

My router is a Speedstream 5450 ADSL, provided by my ISP. I can ask the vendor when I purchase the Switch if he has heard of any problems with the Retail Plus. Mind you I don't intend to run 4 computers under my desk and two 17" monitors on top with 2 keyboards otherwise where would I put my coffee mug? :hmm:

Edited by réjean

Oh! Liz! You are a riot! :D I was going to reply with some kind of a wisecrack about a donut but a little voice in me said;"do not". Anyway I may have to put the CD-RW ( I actually have a CD-RW and a DVD-RW on machine B running Linux ) into the old machine © which actually has only a CD-R ( on which I replaced the Win 98 with Mandriva 2007 Free tonight). Unless I can figure out how to hook up an external DVD-RW which works with a parallel cable. A friend of ours gave it to us this summer with an external CD burner ( a University was getting rid of them ). Just some project for the winter coming. Whenever I download a new install distro that requires 3 or 4 CDs I normally download #1 on computer B while downloading #2 on my wife's computer downstairs (A) then #3 on B and #4 on A so I can get them all sometimes within an hour. Then I just move #2 and #4 on the machine upstairs using the internet, or burn them on the separate machines and off I go installing.

Cluttermagnet
Whoa, the first one connects up to 8 computers/printers/switches LOL. Hey, now you'll have lots of growing room. :devil: If your router is a d-link, I'd be inclined to go with that, simply because I think products from the same company play better together.Of course, then you are limited to four upstairs computers. :D
Thanks for the product data. Liz. Both look great! I have a D-Link DI-624 router (running wired only, no wireless). So I'd get the DSS-5+. The cases would match. They'd look good together. :devil: Five is good enough? I dunno, I have 4 computers at my bigger desk, the 'Beige Monolith'. There are another 4 working computers in the room, at least 1 of them also gets used regularly (Cluttermaster 2007)... :thumbsup:

Wish I had stock in a switch company! :D Looks like we can make a few sales this coming week.I currently have my switch packed away. I moved my hubby's computer down to the basement where it is using wifi. He doesn't go on the internet much. I'm sorry I took so long to discover that the signal works that far away. I discovered it quite by accident. I was wiping an old computer in the basement before I recycled it and while it was working, I took my notebook down and discovered that I had a signal and could get on the internet.réjean, what kind of parallel connection does the external burner have? If it is male, you can get a female parallel to USB connector and use it in a USB port on your computers.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...4&CatId=471I have an internal burner that I put in an external case with a USB connector and use it to burn my disk images on the three computers that don't have burners.

Hi Liz!What a resourceful person you are! You just made me have a look at the 2 drives and I realized that the external DVD-RW has a USB cable AND looking into the box of goodies I found a female parallel/USB cable that I could plug the male parallel cable coming from the CD-RW into.I was going to use a USB PCI card but my wife's computer could use it to plug her USB memory drive into. It is only a 1.0 ( I think ) but all she saves on it is her writing ( very small files so speed is not required ).Instead I had a look behind the old computer and it has a female parallel port so I should be all set. I'll give it a try right now. I'll let you know how it went.