Pictutorials: Open discussion thread

Bruno

The Pictutorials, Easy Visual HowTos thread is colsed for comments . . . but here is your chance to post your suggestions, comments, additions, etc. etc.Also new Pictutorials can be posted here and one of the mods will then move it to the closed sticky thread at the top of the forum.Have FUN !:hysterical: Bruno

It looks good to me Bruno!!!Maybe it will encourage some of our geniuses to make more...like, I dunno, figuring out a wireless network configuration, how to hang up your laundry on a clothesline ( the linux way ) lol, etc.The potential is un-li- mi-ted!

V.T. Eric Layton

Bruno,Steve (Cybermoron) posted a really nice tutorial about how to install Slack 12. It's in THIS thread. I would like to nominate it for Pictutorials. B)

Bruno,Steve (Cybermoron) posted a really nice tutorial about how to install Slack 12. It's in THIS thread. I would like to nominate it for Pictutorials. :)
It actually already is in there . . . but the way to find it is not very clear . . . . let me make some changes to improve it.B) BrunoUPDATE: I made changes to the index page . . . have a look if it is any better this way ;)

looking good, i like the word pictutorial. hi rejean...just for fun i googled "linux clothesline" and found out there actually is a linux way of sorts to hang clothes. ;) it's called the clothesline paradox. it's a quote originally attributed with solar energy but used to describe the open source philosophy. thought i'd share it. interesting huh?

Because many of us get locked into a certain way of thinking we can miss obvious connections and solutions. Twenty years ago, solar architect Steve Baer came up with a good metaphor for our inability to perceive locally available solutions. He called it the clothesline paradox. It goes like this: if I were to buy an electric clothes-drier, that purchase would show up on a statistic somewhere, from which someone would eventually infer that electricity consumption had increased in Finland. And so I will have made it that bit harder for Finland to keep within the limits set by the Kyoto Protocol to tackle climate change.8If, however, I get rid of my clothes-drier and let my clothes dry on a clothesline, there’s no statistic that says Finland is now using more solar energy. But that doesn’t mean a clothesline isn’t a good way to dry clothes. And there we have the clothesline paradox.The old Debian activist Bruce Perens understood the lesson of the clothesline paradox. From the point of view of Linux users, it’s not relevant how many operating systems they have bought. What matters is that the work which needs doing, can get done.
http://openlife.cc/node/73http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/7969http://taxshine.com/Clothesline.htmlhttp://books.google.com/books?id=ZyB5dt756...ReYFwIYNcGiWAbchttp://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/05/...amming_for.html

V.T. Eric Layton
It actually already is in there . . . but the way to find it is not very clear . . . . let me make some changes to improve it.B) BrunoUPDATE: I made changes to the index page . . . have a look if it is any better this way :)
;) B) :) >__

Hi Tommy . . . . Gimp tutorials would be very welcome . . :D . . . but is there any way to "translate" them to "normal" forum posts ?:) Burno

I have been looking into this and I can get the text out, but the pictures, which are very important I can't. I tried pdf to html, but it comes out as unreadable binary? I would like not to have to host them, and link so i anyone has a solution we can add it as a pictorial as well. :hmm:

here's the gOS in virtualbox i made. i had fun making this one but it gave me some little problems. first i had to figure what direction to go in. i failed to get the guest additions working and also i couldn't get picasa to work so i finally just focused on exploring the E17 desktop. but then i had to figure that out and then figure out how to explain it. this one was hard :hysterical: i wonder what the first timers are going to think when they buy this computer from walmart? this linux stuff is really weird and i had to pay for this! will be the comments i'm sure. i think there needs to be a KDE option available for these linux computer sales. so far we have dell - ubuntu - gnomeeverex - gOS - enlightenmentEee pc - xandrossomeone has to come out with KDE.enuff ranting from me, here's my gOS in virtualbox.statichttp://www.flickr.com/photos/gosinvirtualbox/slideshowhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/gosinvirtualbox/show/next up - fedora 8

Edited by cybormoron

• 2 weeks later...

fedora 8 in virtualboxthis one was a bit of a challenge. one little problem after another but i finally got something cohesive together. hi bruno...perhaps you should evaluate this one before pinning it. there's a few issues i'm not sure about. 1. the udev hanging problem. udev hangs when rebooting. is this a bug or is it just me?2. changing selinux to permissive. is this ok?3. what do you think of my method of editing xorg? while editing xorg in vi the screensaver would kick in and i ended up with a swap file. not knowing how to fix the swap file problem i had to reinstall the whole shooting match. after this happened the 3rd time because i forgot to turn the screensaver off i came up with this "brilliant" method. copying xorg to home. i really should learn how to fix the swap file prob.if something can be done a better way i'll redo this slideshow. if it's acceptable then i hope everyone enjoys the show. statichttp://www.flickr.com/photos/fedora8invirtualbox/slideshowhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/fedora8invirtualbox/show/

hi bruno...perhaps you should evaluate this one before pinning it. there's a few issues i'm not sure about.
Okay let's do that, because I see you had some troubles and that is bad for how people see Fedora :thumbsup:
1. the udev hanging problem. udev hangs when rebooting. is this a bug or is it just me?
I did a "normal" install and not in VirtualBox . . . . udev does not hang on my install.
2. changing selinux to permissive. is this ok?
Personally I always disable SELinux . . . simply because I had bad issues with it when it was first introduced. But we should not advocate bad habits so I guess we better use the "permissive" like you suggested.
3. what do you think of my method of editing xorg? while editing xorg in vi the screensaver would kick in
Why not disable the screensaver before you start editing the xorg file ?? Would save a lot of hassle and explaining.
and i ended up with a swap file. not knowing how to fix the swap file problem i had to reinstall the whole shooting match. after this happened the 3rd time because i forgot to turn the screensaver off i came up with this "brilliant" method. copying xorg to home. i really should learn how to fix the swap file prob.
The swapfile is a .hidden file . . . have a look in /etc/X11/ ( "ls -al /etc/X11/" ) and you will see them right away and can delete them . . . that way you can use Vi again without getting the error message ;)Maybe just re-do the part of editing xorg ( in vi ) ??? . . :P Bruno

Steve, Bruno,I've had my share of troubles while trying to install Fedora 8 on the laptop. Let me tell you this : the installer is just a buggy piece of ...... (censored) :thumbsup: I started to doubt the quality of Fedora since version 7. That's why I skipped it and waited for version 8, not knowing of course which disaster would strike.You see, I always try to install it no matter what happens, but after all those years I have to admit I got tired of new kernels every two to three weeks. And how often the updates accomplished to break my printer set up, I ain't gonna tell you that, but suffice to say every time I had to set it up from scratch or I had to hunt the culprit down to correct. I happened to always succeed in that, but how about new people trying out Fedora ? Now the big news is that I got really very disappointed this time, I already played some time with the thoughts of switching distros ... I have had installed version 7 on a clients machine to try it, my thought were 'if this is all 'new' what are they so excited aboout'? Well, it has happened, Mandriva is my numero 1 now and Debian 4.0r1 numero 2. B) Neither of them are perfect either, but the perfect distro simply does not exist . Both Mandriva and Debian at least are stable and installable and usable.Back to Fedora 8... here's my report or better say just an attempt ... :P 1] downloaded the DVD iso. Checked sha1sum : verified OK.2] burned on disk. Checked/verified burn k3b OK.3] Started the laptop with it in an attempt to install it. Installer started.4] Installer insists on checking media. If clicking skip it just breaks out of the installer and reboots the machine.5] Ok, so let's check the media beast... checked out to be Ok so let's continue. It then breaks out of the installer and reboots the machine.That's enough for me to dump it, the disk I mean. No further attempts will be made to install it. If this is end-quality-control I have my doubts about the rest.I checked the same disk on the main machine and there it just wants to install : but I don't want it on there. I also successfully burned other discs on the laptop and used the contents of these discs, no problem either.Here you have it. After years and years being a Fedora man, I think the time has arrived to say farewell my friend. I'm too disappointed to wait for version 9.Nowadays people don't only have desktop machines, they also use laptops.If a distro isn't able to handle a laptop like described above, then it's the end of the show. And the hardware on his laptop isn't the latest either, so it's a goodbye.For years I struggled/played with Fedora and I happened to like it very much, it just worked or it could be made working, sometimes easy some other times with a load of work; but I liked it.It's sad to be under the impression it was not tested enough on enough equipment (how about 64bits equipment?), and certainly not on enough laptops. Imho Fedora core 6 was the greatest and I'm still using it when I'm at the other machine. ;)BTW: I'll continue to work at the Fedora links thread. No worries. ;)

wow, thanks guys. i do think most of the probs i had was in my approach but then again it kept throwing me for loop with some little glitch. it's partly fedora's fault and partly my fault. the combination was a disaster, lol. i definitely did not want to put fedora in a bad light. i wanted to get a sequence of shots from beginning to end but i made some wrong moves and fedora wouldn't co-operate at times so i had to redo my whole sequence a few times.the udev hang is a definite bug. it has to be something about virtualbox causing it. this is going to have to be solved to get a good slideshow. it is definitely hanging upon reboot. first reboot was ok but all other reboots either from a prompt or the menu or a shell command causes it to hang especially after installing something.the integration problem required an xorg edit to fix. i needed to put an option for vboxmouse in a section of xorg. then the next day an selinux update was available that fixed that. so now we only need to change selinux to permissive. no big prob here really.1024x768 resolution works great but i had my probs trying to edit xorg for a higher res. so this prob is mostly my fault. i agree this part is lame and should be redone. i'll keep working on this because i learn by practicing. we'll have to find out about the udev prob though.

Edited by cybormoron

• 1 month later...

hi bruno...here's vectorlinux 5.9 STD Gold in virtualbox. i made this one without comments. i thought the pics spoke for their self without any comments, besides i couldn't figure out what to say. B) i also didn't capture any of the virtualbox dialog. i just took shots of the distro in action. just something a little different. i thought it came out pretty good. i hope it's acceptable and everyone enjoys it.p.s. if anyone discovers any errors please inform me. criticism's are welcome.static pagehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/vector59invirtualbox/slideshowhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/vector59invirtualbox/show/

Great Job Steve :thumbsdown: . . . . . I added it to the Pictutorials thread in the stickies.:w00tx100: BrunoPS: I see you took exact the same sizes for sda1 and sda2 ( swap ) as I did myself :( . .

Wishes.png

hi bruno...the hits just keep on coming. ;) here's another fabulous slideshow if i do say so myself. B) pclinuxos gnome in virtualbox. this one was a breeze to make. everything went flawlessly. take the shot, hit the next button, take the shot, etc. it runs great. i hope everyone enjoys.statichttp://www.flickr.com/photos/pclosgnomevirtualbox/slideshowhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/pclosgnomevirtualbox/show/

...the hits just keep on coming. ;) . . . . .. . . . i hope everyone enjoys.
I am sure they will Steve . . . your shows are entertaining and a great help for new virtualisticetators B) The links to the PCLinuxOS Gnome slides is added to the thread at the top.B) Bruno
Wishes.png

what does virtualisticetators mean? i can't figure that word out.
:thumbsup: . . sorry made a typo . . LOL . . should have been "virtualisticreators" . . . . . LOLB) Bruno
Wishes.png