Gaim v0.66 is out

havnblast

I didn't even notice they came out with a new version a couple days ago. I really like gaim for instant messaging.

Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM (Oscar and TOC protocols), ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr networks.Gaim supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer (coming soon), away messages, typing notification, and MSN window closing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, and more.    * ChangelogFreebsd compile fix (Matthew Luckie)    * .spec file improvements (Ethan Blanton)    * Added a gaim-remote man page (Robert McQueen)    * The Remote Control plugin no longer adds duplicate groups to your buddy list.    * Servers and ports are now imported correctly in MSN.    * Core/UI split the core initialization and shutdown.    * MSN messages with newlines are now sent correctly to MSN clients.    * Italian translation updated (Claudio Satriano)    * British English "translation" added (Sam Halliday)    * Fix some sound initialization stuff    * Updated Portuguese (Brazilian) translation (Mauricio de Lemos Rodrigues Collares Neto)    * Updated Czech translation (Miloslav Trmac)    * Fix saving and import of default away message
Download Page

SonicDragon

I don't use linux that often, and there for don't really ever get to use gaim for any extended period of time, but it seemed fine to me B)

I don't use linux that often, and there for don't really ever get to use gaim for any extended period of time, but it seemed fine to me B)
SonicDragon,I never was really into IM - just family, when they were on-line - but Trillian did impress me, especially when my brother-in-law informed me that only AOLIM would be able to contact another person on AOL...Hah! :D

Gaim is very similar to Trillian - it does yahoo, ICQ, aim, msn all in one nice program. I don't think it can do file transfer yet, but for an all in one program this one is good.

akorvemaker - thanks for the additional info. I thought there was a version available for windows, but wasn't sure, never looked into it.

I never was really into IM - just family, when they were on-line -
QuintYou just reminded me why I have not used an instant messenger in about five years! :D I promise to behave now. :D :lol:

Yup, Gaim is my prefered IM on linux.............but on windows it behaves very oddly.........like its sluggish.....keeps crashing.......but inlinux its stable.........and i use it their.............i am still waiting for a file transfer for msn.........and of others ...but especially for Msn.Other than that is a very good quality of software.........cheers :D

SonicDragon
You just reminded me why I have not used an instant messenger in about five years!
Yikes! I use it every day... i'm lost with out it!

Let's just say it was easier to quit using it than ignoring or blocking a family member. Of course, I only have wonderful family members...... Just some that like to talk forever. Had to quit to get anything done. B)

Add me to the Noah's Ark of peeps that donot care much for IM!But I have redirected many of my novice PC cohorts to using Trillian! The only grief that I have received with these converted Trillian users is that they all would like to have video capability which it does (did not?) not support! I have also heard that it lacks robust security features! However, using the "stealth" mode is a great bonus!I had experimented with an earlier rendition of GAIM on WinOS and at that time (early 2003) it was too crude for me to recommend it to anyone else! And based on the replies here, I guess I won't be telling anyone to replace Trillian with GAIM, yet!