Format external HD for Mac

Skitterbug

I purchased an external HD enclosure for a Seagate HD that I already had (80GB) and I am interested in the best way to format it. Currently I have it formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and in the "options" the partition scheme was Apple Partition Map. I left it as one partition. It also has the drivers on it for Mac V 9 if I should ever want them.So my questions: I won't be able to use this for any storage for Windows XP? Am I right with my thinking? Should I have selected GUID Partition Table instead since I am using this mainly on my iMac?And finally, if I had wanted to use this HD for both Windows and Mac how would be the best way to format and set this external HD up? I'm considering running WinXP on my Mac since there is now a way to do this! Yes, I've lots of questions! So thank you for any help or advice you can offer! :D

If you wanted to move between OSs, I would recommend fat32. It is going to be campatible with both OSX and Windows. I am not sure about OS9, but I think it would work.Adam

....I would recommend fat32. It is going to be campatible with both OSX and Windows...Can this formatting be done by an iMac or would I have to do this on a PC? If I can do it on an iMac, can you tell me the steps?Thank you!

You have to do that on a PC I believe. I ended up just going with Mac formatting when I did this because I could not find anything on my Mac that allowed any Windows compatible formatting.

Hi Teacher!I've changed my thinking process one more time! <I'm allowed since I'm a woman, right?> :hysterical:I think I'll leave the 80GB EX. HD formatted for Mac and if I want to save anything from the Windows side of things <when I get this set up for two O/Ss> I can share a drive from my PC for the Mac/PC one to save to. This little 80 GB EX. HD isn't really big enough for much anyway when I consider pictures and movie storage! When I get another one for my PC I'll be sure to format it in FAT 32 however so that my Mac can use it too. Thanks everyone! :D