Slow board

zlim

I have no problem viewing the board but when posting a reply to a thread, it hangs a good 3 to 5 minutes. Currently, 9:21pm Eastern Daylight time in the US.

i get that occasionally. i think the post actually goes thru ok but the board can be a slow to refresh or maybe there's too many cross postings. i just wait it out. i've learned to make sure i copy the text before i hit the post button or even use a text editor for my posts. whatever you do don't keep hitting the post button or there will multiple posts and then our kind and patient and wonderful and sometimes overworked moderators will have to do some moderatin' work, lol.i hope it clears up for you liz, it usually does for me. i think the server tubez just get a little clogged every once in a while.

I have that too now and then. What I do the moment I encounter this is copy my comment into kate (or if in windows to the clipboard) and just hit the link above like below:up on this page - when posting a comment - you see this:Scot's Newsletter Forums > Main > Forum Feedback & Suggestions > Slow boardWhen the problem arises and I have copied my comment, I click Slow board in the link above and guess what : it then opens that section and my comment is there. Don't ask me how, but it is.This way I don't need to wait 2 minutes or more. :whistling: Found it out by trial and error.

• 1 month later...
Guest LilBambi

I was not feeling well and hadn't been to the board yesterday or today earlier. But Bruno said the forums were slow earlier. They seem to be fine now for me.I did some synchronizing of forums and posts and hope that helped some.Let me know if you are having trouble still and what country you are in so we can get a feel for where the problem lies -- specifically whether it was/is universally slow or just from certain areas of the world, errr, backbones. :whistling:

Cluttermagnet
I have no problem viewing the board but when posting a reply to a thread, it hangs a good 3 to 5 minutes. Currently, 9:21pm Eastern Daylight time in the US.
I've seen that too, Liz- and more than once! Have you noticed recently how some posts have a double copy of the message? It's done that to me, the post gets to the board, but the results are fed back so slowly to the poster (or not at all) that they repost their same message. Then, usually it updates right away, and there is your 'double message' to edit. But some folks miss that, which is why I've seen those double posts at all. I think this is happening fairly often in recent weeks. I've gotten used to it. Usually, if my post-post response hangs, I open up another copy of the saem thread, and there is my just-posted message. Weird. :whistling: ;)

Basically the same I posted above in post #3, but since I posted that the contents of it got corrupted. :hmm: Some server ghosts are wrecking havoc I think.

Another weird thing I encountered two months ago has nothing to do with the forums persee, but with a particular piece of hardware... I needed the time to test this until this midday, now I'm 100 % sure. It's an ADSL2+ modem/router combo from SMC, the 7xyz VoWBRA.(where xyz is a part of the type/model number. I've edited that out to make it a bit more puzzling for particular people lurking around here. :hmm: )The problem with this masterpiece of inventions is that it just hiccups completely every eight to twelve days which results in bad and slooooooooow internet connections and sometimes even no connection at all.Trying to enter the thing through its web interface at the wrong moment can mean you did wait to long (!) so you're stuck, you can't get in at all, not in an hour and not in three days. In that case you need to pull the AC adapter out of the wall outlet to reset the thing and after a minute push it in again. (the settings fortunately remain intact)After it has initialized itself it works OK for the next few days, maybe ten to twelve in my case.

Thanks for that striker. I have people elsewhere asking for help with router/modem combos. Since I'm not on dsl, I usually don't do a great job at helping them. I'll now add notes to tell them if they have an SMC, it hiccups every 8 to 12 days.Once it slows down, if you get off the internet and allow it time to do whatever it does, is the connection okay again? If not, must you go in and change something? What is the access code? 192.168.x.x? Sometimes people don't even know how to get to the configuration page so I have a notecard just for various models and the access codes.

Once it slows down, if you get off the internet and allow it time to do whatever it does, is the connection okay again?
No. It's probably in the firmware for it which my ISP keep updating** (kudos !) albeit it doesn't solve the problem.**=after I open up a special setting for them so they can get in. Afterwards I uncheck that setting.I then change the password, make a backup of the .bin file (which holds the complete backup of the settings) and shut down the PC, reset the router, wait until all is back on and then boot the computer and connect all other computers again.Only a reset helps, nothing else.The access IP=192.168.2.1 as so many routers have the same IP. You can reach it through any normal web browser unless the routers 'tick' rears it ugly head. That's the point where you have to reset it, otherwise you can't get in at all. By that time you will already have noticed a severe slowdown of loading pages and sometimes hangs at certain web pages.

• 3 weeks later...

Forum is very slow to load. Earlier I also tried to get blog to load so I could read the newsletter. I could not get the forum, Scot's site nor the blog to come up. I guess everyone is trying to read at the same time.I've now 1:15pm ET managed to get Scot's site up and the blog.When I try to post this I get

SQL error: User sfinnie_sfinnie has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connectionsSQL error code: Date: Thursday 06th of December 2007 12:21:04 PM
So it appears I might be able to read but not post.I'll keep trying to see if it works.

Guest LilBambi

Sorry folks!Seems Scot's Newsletter went out today; and as many know Blogs also use SQL databases so between the forums and the newsletter going out today, Scot says you may notice timeouts on both today.Not a good thing...but Scot is trying to figure out the best way to go to alleviate the SQL bottleneck.And we may see another bottleneck as folks get home from work and want to read the newsletter, please bear with us with these growing pains.