3 little beeps at boot in time

réjean

Hi all!Someone rescued a Penthium III computer from a university, with 2 seventeen inches Sun monitors, an external Cd drive and a DVD with a keyboard and a wireless mouse.I turned the computer on last night and noticed that Debian 3.0 was on it but I didn't have the login name nor the password. I did manage to run a Live Ubuntu CD ( the machine also has an internal CD drive.This evening I went under the hood, so to speak, and noticed a 256 GB hd with a 256 MB Ram stick and a 128 Mb.The main problem is that now the on/off button doesn't work ( only the button at the back of the computer on the power supply and at boot I get 3 little beeps and don't really hear the hd kicking in nor see anything on the monitor.Does anyone has an idea what the problem is? Any suggestion would be welcome.

Find out the BIOS manufacturer by hitting F2 or escape while the machine is booting.Google "BIOS beep code" to see what the 3 beeps mean.The only one I could find with 3 beeps was AMI, where 3 beeps means a RAM failure.Link

Thanks Jim!I've got 2 sticks, a 128 and a 256 MB and I've tried using only either one at a time in different slots to no avail. A friend of mine a few years back had told me that most of the time 3 beeps means a RAM problem. Will keep trying!P.S. Neither F2 nor Enter do anything. It couldn't be the battery could it? Should I try "flashing" the machine?

Edited by réjean

Thanks Jim!I've got 2 sticks, a 128 and a 256 MB and I've tried using only either one at a time in different slots to no avail. A friend of mine a few years back had told me that most of the time 3 beeps means a RAM problem. Will keep trying!
The chances are 1000/1 that the problem is the memory stick contacts. Cleaning the contacts and keep trying is your best bet. Judging by the computer description, it's a few years old and probably full of dust. Chances are some of that dust got into the memory sockets and is causing contact problems. Edited by lewmur

Hello,There may actually be two separate problems with the computer: Bad contact between the memory and the motherboard, which Lewmur explained one way to resolve, and a failing power switch on the case. If the latter uses a "standard" microswitch for its power button, you may be able to find a replacement at a local computer or electronic parts store.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

I thought you guys were onto something 'cause I had noticed a little bit of dust at the end of one slot (otherwise the inside of the computer is fairly clean ). Anyway after getting the dust out with a toothpick ( gently ) and spraying some air duster I tried it again and I am still getting the 3 beeps.Could I have fried the memory sticks or the whole motherboard. I do hear a little bit of the hd trying to kick in after the beeps but not much and the power button is still not working although the reset button works. Any other suggestion beside cleaning the memory slots some more?

Ok! So here's what I've done today. I found an old SDRAM stick ( 64 MB ) and when I use it by itself or with one of the other sticks ( or both ) in whatever order I don't get any beeping anymore...But I still cannot see the BIOS ( ESC or F2, F5 or F8 ). I see 3 green lights coming on the keyboard when I reboot but none stays on. I changed monitors but nothing else. Any other suggestion?

Ok! So here's what I've done today. I found an old SDRAM stick ( 64 MB ) and when I use it by itself or with one of the other sticks ( or both ) in whatever order I don't get any beeping anymore...But I still cannot see the BIOS ( ESC or F2, F5 or F8 ). I see 3 green lights coming on the keyboard when I reboot but none stays on. I changed monitors but nothing else. Any other suggestion?
Try F11. Everything else seems normal.

I use F2 on my machine with the ASRock board and Del on the one with the Shuttle board ..... here are some links that might help you they are from a "beep code" cheat sheet ... (I hope these are still good)www.ami.com/support/bios.html www.phoenix.com/pcuser/PDF-Files/bios-postcode.pdfwww.phoenix.com/pcuser/awardbios/award error codes.htmlsupport.dell.com/us/en/home.aspit has been several years since I checked any of them out ... hth

no floppy drive?
I read through the thread and can't see where you surmise that it doesn't have a floppy drive. A pentium III is an older computer that I suspect it does have a floppy. Is there a floppy or just the CD drive? If there is a floppy, does a light come on on the floppy drive? Just trying to figure out what it looks at when it is going through it's routine. Ironically, a bad floppy drive can keep a computer from booting up.Does the computer have a brand and model anywhere so we can search for manuals? That might make it easier to troubleshoot.1. F1, F2, and Del are how I get into my BIOSes - why, oh why can't this be standard? Just another thing I have to jot notes on everytime I need to get into a BIOS. I also think that some computers have a few key combos - I'll search thru my notes.Here's the list of ways to get into the BIOShttp://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htmnote that some require a 3 key combo. I guess, lacking a brand name and model, just try the BIOS suppliers list one at a time and hope one of them works.2. Unhook the wireless mouse and plug a PS/2 on just for testing. I assume the keyboard is wired, not USB but also PS/2. For some reason, USB can create problems and right now you want to cut down on the secondary problems to focus on the real problem.3. Sometimes when the power button gets out of sync (probably not the correct way to describe it) you have to hold it in for several seconds to reset it so that it works properly.4. Don't flash anything! You get the computer running, then see if you have any problems. If you do, then you look for a flash and read the log to see what the flash is supposed to fix. If it doesn't have anything of interest in your case, skip the flash. Edited by zlim

Based on the following: the computer powers up, 3 beeps are heard and there's no display, I recommend that you first do the following:(1) Disconnect the optical drives, hard drives, floppy drive.(2) Remove all add-in card, except for the video card.(3) Reseat the video card and memory modules.(4) Reset the CMOS.(5) Turn on the computer.If you still don't get any display, try a PCI video card. If that does not work, try a known working memory module.

Hi everyone!Here is a quick recap with more info;1. This machine looks a lot like the ones I'm used to. A built-it-yourself, I mean. Remember it came from a university. It is not a Dell, HP or whatever.2. It had a 256 MB and a 128 MB SDRAM but the 3 beeps go away when I add a 64 MB SDRAM.3. It has a floppy drive and a CD-R drive.4. Thanks to b2cm I can now use the on/off button most of the time if I wait a few seconds.5. The machine as 1 inboard videocard and an AGP ATI videocard.6. There is also an ethernet card (PCI).7. I am using a PS2 that looks like brand new Logitech Deluxe 104 keyboard.8. I haven't bothered using a mouse for the last few days while trying to fix the problem.9. When I turn the computer on I see no display on the screen ( tried 2 monitors ).10. I hear a little bit of the hard drive wanting to kick in.So I would like to follow b2cm but I am a bit confused about the videocards and I have no clue what he means about " resetting the CMOS ". Any help would be quite welcome.Thanks!

Okay. That's better info.1. Remove the AGP card. It isn't working, obviously. Either it is bad, has a device conflict, or the AGP port is not working.2. The onboard video uses the first RAM module, so put in your 64mb (assuming this is in 100% working condition) on the first socket. Set aside the 2 modules that came with the computer. 2. As I have said, remove all drives. (We will connect them one by one, only after we get some display.)3. To reset the CMOS, just remove the battery for about 10 seconds and then reseat it. That should set CMOS settings to factory default and correct any misconfiguration of hardware.4. Power on the computer.If you cannot get a display using just the onboard video, try a PCI video card. Also inspect the motherboard for some bloated or busted capacitors.

Well!It doesn't look good! I tried everything you suggested b2cm and nothing works (meaning still no display).1. I had forgotten I had a Penthium II in working order ( mind you with a 500 Mhz and a 2.5 Gb hd, but with a few SDRAM sticks working ok. So I popped in a 256 Mb in the sick machine and no beeps but still no display. 2. The good news is that the RAM sticks that were giving the 3 beeps 3.I tried a PCI video card to no avail. 4. I resetted the CMOS ( which was what I meant when I talked about flashing in my ignorance ).5. I looked for bad conductors, could lookk some more. But so far no display. I do see a little green light flashing in the centre of the mother board when I either reboot or reset which makes me think the board is somewhat alive.Will wait for further instructions or suggestions before doing anything else.P.S. I had also disconnected all the drives ( floppy, cd, hd ).

No CANDU!The PSU's are completely different not so much in sizes but in shapes. My old ones are horizontal and squarrishy while the recent machine has a vertical PSU and more of a ziggurat shape.I tried both the sticks of SDRAM and the hd in the 500 Mhz machine and they work fine. I guess I'll keep the rest for spare parts unless there are other suggestions.But why would the power supply affect the display? Should or could I try the 500 Mhz processor into the Penthium III machine?

I turned the computer on last night and noticed that Debian 3.0 was on it but I didn't have the login name nor the password. I did manage to run a Live Ubuntu CD
So when you first turned it on, you had images? But after you opened it up, now you have no images?

But why would the power supply affect the display?
The power supply affects everything, primarily the motherboard. And, over time, degrades with use. If it cannot supply the 5v and 3.3v at the levels required by the motherboard, you can get startup symptoms that you have been describing. It looks like your motherboard is failing, but you need to rule out the PSU first.

If it worked ok before you opened it then I would have another check and see if all the cables and other bits are plugged in correctly. It's just so easy to miss something like a front panel cable accidentaly knocked off it's pins.

Edited by greengeek

Should or could I try the 500 Mhz processor into the Penthium III machine?
Yes, you can if it is a Socket 370 processor. The Pentium III motherboard should be backward-compatible. (Trying your PIII processor on your older motherboard is another thing.) Just make sure that jumpers are correctly set if required. Some motherboards autodetect the processor's FSB and multiplier; others require manually setting these via jumpers or a dip switch.If you currently have a 133FSB coppermine or tualatin processor, you should try a 66 or 100FSB processor. A motherboard that has become unstable at 133 can produce the startup symptoms you have described here. Edited by b2cm