PC Tools Firewall Plus configuration

Teffy

Greetings,Per Scot's newsletter, I have been running PC Tools Firewall Plus (and Window Firewall) on my new Vista Home Premium PC. This PC, two others and an NDAS Ximeta external drive are connected to a Linksys WRT54GL router, which is connected to a cable modem.The only way I have gotten the Vista PC to recognise the Ximeta is by connecting them directly via Ethernet and disabling the PC Tools firewall. (I am afraid to disable the firewall with the PC connected to the router/internet). The other PC's (XP and Win2K which use free ZoneAlarm do fine.)I took a stab at a solution by adding these executables to the 'allowed' lists of both (PC Tools and Vista) firewalls:In directory C:\Program Files\NDAS\SystemThe file names are: ndascmd.exe, ndasbind.exe, ndasmgmt.exe, and ndassvc.exe.But, that is still not sufficient. I looked at the log in PC Tools Firewall Plus and saw stuff blocked from the Ximeta drive MAC address, and tried to enable a rule to let them pass. (I right-clicked on the log entry and selected "Add Rule".) But, either I didn't do it right or that is still not sufficient.I asked Ximeta support for help, and they say, "Thanks for your reply, however you will have to contact PC Tools and askthem how to let the Netdisk LPX protocol pass through there software soyou can use the Netdisk on this system. Please let us know your results."I have no clue how to "let the Netdisk LPX protocol pass through", and I don't find LPX when I search PC Tools Software help.Can you help? Thanks,Teffy

I'd have to see that to believe Scot recommended running two firewalls. That is against all good computing to run two software firewalls.http://www.google.com/search?q=%22running+...lient=firefox-a
Sorry, I did a lousy job of conveying what I mean. I run PC Tools Firewall Plus because of what I read in Scot's Newsletter. I also let Windows Firewall run because I didn't realize it was a bad idea (although I *do* know that more than one antivirus app is a bad idea.) I just turned off Windows firewall - PC Tools is still on.

Hello,From looking at this page of FAQ entires (especially "9. Does NetDisk have an IP address?") it appears the Ximeta Netdisk uses a custom network protocol, so I am thinking that a solution will need to come from both Ximeta and PC Tools working together. I would suggest you start by opening help desk tickets with both companies and volunteering to test any beta/interim versions of software from each company intended to fix the problem.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

I just got the message below from Ximeta, and it did the trick! Yes!Dear Stephanie,We installed and tested PC Tools Firewall Plus on our test machines and have found that the NDAS software does indeed work with the firewall program. The only thing is you have to add a setting to the program to allow the NDAS software to pass thru.To do this: -open up the PC Tools Firewall program (double-click on the system tray icon on the bottom right of your screen) -on the left side you should have "Advanced Rules", go into there and at the top you should have an "Add" button to click on. -in the first window check off "where the ethernet type is". -in the bottom window click on the underlined "Undefined" and select "Other" and ok out of that window. -click on "Next" and check off "Allow" in the top window" and click "Next" again. -Now you can name the rule and add a description if you wish such as "NDAS Software" or whatever you wish. -make sure the box that says "This rule is active" is checked and then click "Finish"Now you may have to wait a couple seconds for the program to refresh (you can also click on the "Apply" and "Refresh" button as well). You should then be able to mount the drives (the black squares should be white now). If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.Thank you,Peter Chow Technical Support Engineer Ximeta Inc.