Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

EppdmJa.jpg

This is a temporary desktop as I am trying to rescue my Arch set up and have a few minor gremlins to hunt down.

As you can see I am using ICEWM with the "win95" theme. I quite like the look of the theme but am finding using ICEWM a tad difficult. There are no entries in the application menu and the only way I have found to open up programs is via a terminal, a separate one for each program. I guess that will have to do for now as am saving my energy for fixing up my original set up.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Wow, that is very retro looking :thumbsup:

Ha an you thought WindowMaker was looking old style :Laughing:

Not much of a difference there...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

elfJuvU.jpg

Arch and Window Maker. I really must get around to creating some permanent dock icon sets. At the moment I am just grabbing any icon image that grabs me fancy when I install a program. :breakfast:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ubuntu MATE 18.04... This'll probably be my desktop for the foreseeable future...

vOyrcOJ.png

I'm using the Vimix GTK theme from github, and the Deepin icon theme from the Ubuntu repos.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
abarbarian

Pbi8Kqh.jpg

Problems problems , I have had to use icewm as I can not boot with windowmaker. The black background that came as standard with icewm was pretty depressing so I spent time figuring out how to change it to something more pleasing.

The picture is one I took last week when I visited the Welsh Botanical Gardens which are about 40 miles away from me. The bull is lifesize and from a distance does indeed look real. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

abarbarian

Looks nice man :thumbsup:

And what's wrong with windowmaker?

Hmmm no idea. I use an alias "x" to replace startx and after I updated the system a couple of days ago "x" would not work. I rebooted the system several times and get slightly different messages about xorg.

I looked in the /home/bloodaxe/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log and can see nothing obvious relating to the fail. I tried to do "icewm" but it did not work I can not remeber the exact message. So I altered my .xinitrc file and I can boot to icewm.

I read around that there have been problems with xorg and nvidia lately and some folks have semi-solved their problems by downgrading these. I tried several different downgrades but none worked, possibly I did not downgrade the correct packages.

I have come across the Arch Linux Archive

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive#How_to_restore_all_packages_to_a_specific_date

so I could try and roll back my whole system to last week. However I do not have a very recent backup so am wary of trying that as I have never used the tool before and do not wish to loose my almost perfectly running set up due to a wrong click.

Now that I have a decent background and have populated my main menu I guess I could live with this for a very short while.

:breakfast:

abarbarian
The bull is lifesize and from a distance does indeed look real.
That's exactly what I thought until I enlarged your image!

I posted a couple more shots of the bull in the Flowers thread for you. :breakfast:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm... too techy for this ol' man. I like 'em simple these days...

OK, but I'm only in techy mode at the library, I haven't a clue as to what I have going on.....reality is underneath.

mahjong.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...