Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

With Shuttleworth's recent announcement in mind, what the heck... A few shots of my Unity and GNOME Shell desktops in Ubuntu 16.04.

unity_20170405_1.png

gnome_20170412_1.png

gnome_20170412_2.png

• Like 4

Been tweaking around with Mate again... After mucking around with an Ubuntu VM troubleshooting a particular piece of software for a friend, I realised I actually really like the Ubuntu themes... As it happens they're on the AUR, so here's my desktop now.

xWymKGhT.png

UW4RzWZ6.png

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! This was a decade ago...

slackshot4.png

...and my desktops have hardly changed much since then. I'm a creature of habit, I s'pose.

Today's desktop...

0gjmTfR.png

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 3

So you themed Manjaro to look like Ubuntu? :hysterical:

Yup, might keep it like this for a little while.

(Not entirely sure what the Manjaro community would make of that...)

Well, 'nuff 'buntu for me... Back to using a respin of Numix GTK theme with some greens in it, so it looks somewhat like Manjaro again...

CdQu4bhC.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

manjaro-may-4_zpsoxx5kc6d.png

This is Manjaro Xfce running in VirtualBox on my Lenovo laptop. I set it full screen so you Linux gurus don't have to see the Windows taskbar underneath. Besides I don't have as much screen real estate to work with on a laptop.

• Like 3

securitybreach

Latest screenshot. Archlinux and i3wm

Granted this is clearly a set up screenshot as I do not show this machine's info all the time but I do usually have only terminals open besides chrome.

gjIW7Qg.jpg

Full size: https://i.imgur.com/gjIW7Qg.jpg

• Like 1

The netbook is tiny, memory challenged, slow. There are a couple of good things about it:

• Linux friendly and I didn't have to tear it apart to replace the HDD with a cheap SSD.
  • It has all the essential laptop stuff like wifi so I got experience installing Arch and getting wifi working.

Longer term I am on the lookout for an older business laptop - Dell, HP, Thinkpad - to use as a Linux tester. I would like to get a Core i5 1st generation or later that uses DDR3 memory and has at least SATA 2 capability for storage. Much as I like desktops a laptop is a lot easier to set up for a test.

Also I want something with easy access to upgrade to an SSD or add more memory. My current consumer grade Lenovo runs very well, has a nice keyboard and screen but it is a nightmare to work on. Even the battery is internal.

The local computer shop has some T510s that are in beautiful condition - just a bit more than I want to pay.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

securitybreach

It's like 6 screws and the whole back comes off.

One second and I will take the back off

Lenovo seem to be pretty good at giving you physical access to the hardware in there laptops... sadly some manufacturers tend to lock everything down.

Ps (sort of). I've taken back to plugging my laptop in to the TV when I'm at home again. Here's my current Plasma setup with a nice big resolution to play around with.

ygf0wVOl.png

1cbSkBPG.png

• Like 2

Workspace%201_001_zpslvwebrn6.png

This is Debian GNOME Shell running on my Thinkpad T430. I added a few Shell Extensions to customize it. Looks a bit like Xfce now. :harhar:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
abarbarian

rC4Qvuy.jpg

I'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch and Window Maker,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,paradise ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Laie_95:

• Like 1

securitybreach

rC4Qvuy.jpg

I'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch and Window Maker,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,paradise ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Laie_95:

So much wasted space.... Just kidding ya :hysterical:

Looks nice man

abarbarian

rC4Qvuy.jpg

Looks nice man

Ta but it is only the stock install, I did change the background though. Wait till I get creative.

It has taken me about six hours and several failed attempts and I still have a slight problem with starting up the pc and getting into Arch. I'll have to sort that tommorow. :breakfast:

securitybreach

rC4Qvuy.jpg

Looks nice man

Ta but it is only the stock install, I did change the background though. Wait till I get creative.

It has taken me about six hours and several failed attempts and I still have a slight problem with starting up the pc and getting into Arch. I'll have to sort that tommorow. :breakfast:

Eh you know that I am just messing with you. It looks nice man and honestly, I think that you are the only person I know of that still runs Window Maker. I am glad that they are still around after all this time! :thumbsup:

abarbarian

rC4Qvuy.jpg

Looks nice man

Eh you know that I am just messing with you. It looks nice man and honestly, I think that you are the only person I know of that still runs Window Maker. I am glad that they are still around after all this time! :thumbsup:

Come on there has to be at least two other folk running WM, I joined their G+ group :Muahaha: