Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

My apologies, I intentionally used just a thumbnail, followed by a link to the full size image, but I can change that no problem.

As it happens, I have an excuse to do so right now, because I just started using Deepin DE...

h7SYN3OS.png

iwkNXeQG.png

Not exactly as customisable as I'm used to, (it looks pretty much like Windows 8 or OS.X, depending on which panel mode you choose) but I'll stick with it for a while. Might yield some interesting secrets...

Edited by Dr. J
  • Like 2

4K monitor with KDE Plasma 5 on siduction.

sYCwzGd.png

With some windows

O42GpVs.png

Images above are scaled down to 1920 x 1080.

And a link to a full 3840 x 2160 screenshot if you dare (4MB):

http://i.imgur.com/fSdFDhI.png

It's worth looking to see how crisp and clear everything looks (the compression in the 2 above blurs them a bit). I'm still amazed every time I look at it. ;) B)

• Like 5

V.T. Eric Layton

I took the picture of those big floating clouds in that beautiful blue sky back in February of 2012 with my little Sony camera that my brother had just bought me for Christmas a couple months before. I'm sitting in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers training facility parking lot that use to be a dairy farm when I was a kid and later became the Tampa Bay Center Mall that was demolished to make the parking lot and the training facility. I'm facing north and that shot is over a business park that used to be a golf course called Loch Raven when I was a kid. Here's a satellite view (thanks to Google) of just where I'm talking about...

QMVJRSC.png

I grew up in this neighborhood and still live here.

• Like 2

securitybreach

Very cool :thumbsup:

4K monitor with KDE Plasma 5 on siduction.

Very cool!! I can't wait to get some 4k monitors!!

• Like 1

It's worth looking to see how crisp and clear everything looks (the compression in the 2 above blurs them a bit). I'm still amazed every time I look at it. ;) B)

Oi if your going to post such pin sharp pictures could you please post with a warning. I nearly burnt me eyeballs out that picture is so sharp, seeing the real thing must be fab. :worthy:

So here is my Dell 4700 (special reserve rescue

pc) running on a ten year old 17" flat screen with MX-15.

sxd4kTa.jpg

:breakfast:

• Like 4

Looks nice but why the gigantic panel icons on the right that takes up a lot of the resolution?

I'm an old git with failing eyesight :Laughing: They auto hide so large icons are no hindrance.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Looks nice but why the gigantic panel icons on the right that takes up a lot of the resolution?

I'm an old git with failing eyesight :Laughing: They auto hide so large icons are no hindrance.

Ah ok. :)

After a little partitioning accident (removing the first partition of my hard drive with cfdisk, then being unable to manually create a properly aligned one), I was forced to use some form of auto partition to fix the problem. Sadly, all of my iso's are stored on a portable hard drive that I need my computer to access, so I ended up having to use an Ubuntu disc that happened to be lying around. Anyway, here is my temporary desktop...

Gp3QTpeM.png

:'( ... I'm disappointed with... well, myself mostly. I shouldn't have just fired ahead like that. My end result was supposed to be Arch dual booted with Slackware. I suppose I'll just have to wait until I have access to a good enough Internet connection to install Arch on my now stable first partition, besides, "no panic, no picnic", am I right?

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well really you didn't have to install anything to partition the disk as you could of simply booted up Gparted via usb or disc. Basically you would boot gparted live and then start gparted. From there, you could set up your partitions. Then simply boot into Archlinux to install it or perhaps install Slackware first. Either way, you would of saved some time and not had to install a distro to autocreate a partition table.

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

• Like 1

securitybreach

Also, I know it doesn't help now but gparted is available on any distro and makes it easy to resize partitions (even automatic if you chose).

• Like 1

Thank you. I am aware that there would have been many solutions to the problem, but I sort of panicked at the prospect of not having my laptop anymore, and that made me rush into the first possible solution that presented itself. Thinking back now, It would have been sufficient to remove the defective partition, then automatically partition the available space, which is pretty much your suggestion.

Anyway, not much was lost, just a couple of downloaded movies. I had all of my work backed up in anticipation that something could go wrong. Anyway, The university where I study has reasonable Wi-fi, and I should have time to set up Arch again on Monday. Ubuntu will do until then.

(Just to clarify my situation, I live out in the country surrounded by hills and trees, and use mobile broadband that's limited, and roughly equivalent to sticking your finger in the Ethernet port while wearing a tin-foil hat if you need large downloads.)

• Like 2

Back in my comfort zone after 4 days of Ubuntu's Unity....

JfYla4VZ.png PQ1Irzed.png

That's Gnome on ArchLinux as a primary, and XFCE on Slackware, should anything go wrong on the other side of things.

• Like 3

securitybreach

Back in my comfort zone after 4 days of Ubuntu's Unity....

JfYla4VZ.png PQ1Irzed.png

That's Gnome on ArchLinux as a primary, and XFCE on Slackware, should anything go wrong on the other side of things.

Very nice!! Can you post a link to the wallpapers?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Workspace%201_001_zpsokoumvsr.png

This is my "best" netbook (Toshiba NB 305) running Manjaro Linux.

Is that the KDE or XFCE version? I can't actually tell because Manjaro sets them up pretty much identically.

Nice. I'm using that myself at the minute. One of my favourite desktops, I must say, even though I tend to change a lot. (I've just got annoyed at KDE's Plasma 5 again, despite all the bug fixes since the early days.)

6TRQA9Mr.png

• Like 2

Archlinux/i3wm

Machine specs: http://ix.io/vIY

Full size: https://i.imgur.com/skwWuXY.png

The empty spaces is because of the monitor spacing although it doesn't actually act as empty space. This will explain what I am talking about: https://i.imgur.com/kQZVH9T.png

skwWuXY.png

Nice! I just use one of these:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-B590-MBX2JGE-Notebook.88518.0.html

I hook it up to the TV when I'm at home for a handy bit of extra monitor space.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Nice! I just use one of these:

http://www.notebookc...ok.88518.0.html

I hook it up to the TV when I'm at home for a handy bit of extra monitor space.

Cool!! I am getting a new 43" 4K tv Tuesday and I plan on having it plugged up to my computer as well. I do not plan on using it as a computer monitor but it would be nice to game on it once in a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Hedon James (in another thread) convinced me to go back and try this again. Here's a very simple vertical lxpanel in LXDE in Arch.

Applets used: Digital Clock, Task Bar (Window List), Application Launch Bar, Minimize All Windows, Volume Control, Menu, plus spacers and seperators. I'm going without the Desktop Pager applet because I don't know how to make it small enough to look right on the panel, but there's the pop-up notification when I switch desktops, so I guess that'll be okay for now.

With no apps running:

arch_lxde_vertical_1.jpg

Three apps running, all minimized:

arch_lxde_vertical_2.jpg

Not quite what I was hoping for, but close.

• Like 3