Firefox users are crooks

Webb

A man named Jack Lewis is trying to start a campaign urging website owners to ban the Firefox browser. Why? Because some Firefox users utilize AdBlock Plus to avoid viewing advertisements, and Jack believes this is stealing. Says Jack ...
Link :hysterical:EDIT: Put in some returns so lines are shorter. That way it didn't break the page layout Nevermind, it's not the quote. It's the width on the image in sig. that breaks the layout. -- Bambi Edited by LilBambi

How about this?Ads cost computer users and IT departments millions of dollars in lost time. Ads are intrusive and it is the consumer's right to say "Not just no, but **** no!!!" to the ads and their parent companies.Idiots...Signed,Proud user of Adblock Plus

Edited by tbird

I am also a proud user of adblock plus. For those of us on semi-slow connections, it makes a dramatic difference in page load times.Adam

I am also a proud user of adblock plus. For those of us on semi-slow connections, it makes a dramatic difference in page load times.Adam
It would be foolish NOT use it. B)

Next spammers will be insisting it should be illegal for us to delete their emails without first reading them and accepting their malware/viral payload.Remember when the TV executives thought it should be against the law to go to the bathroom during commercials?

Cluttermagnet

They're doing something similar now- the DRM'ed movies that prevent fast forewarding past the intro 'coming attraction' teasers, FBI warning, etc. Well, so I hear- I never actually buy any of that crap. Any website trying to enforce such a lame policy on me gets !click! (next...) Idiotic, though amusing. I'm a proud user of adblock Plus. :thumbsup:

Demographics have shown that not only are FireFox users a somewhat small percentage of the internet, they actually are even smaller in terms of online spending, therefore blocking FireFox seems to have only minimal financial drawbacks, whereas ending resource theft has tremendous financial rewards for honest, hard-working website owners and developers.
( http://whyfirefoxisblocked.com/index.php )Err... cue Douglas Adams:
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
:thumbsup: Psst... hey... Mister Lewis hasn't heard of Opera's adblock lists yet... which reminds me: update (18-Aug-2007):http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/urlfilter.ini
In Windows, save urlfilter.ini into C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profileIn Linux, urlfilter.ini is stored in ~/.opera/
:thumbsup: :D B)

Konqueror also is able to block ads using the same block file as AdBlock. I presume most IE users want to see ads. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Before AdBlock, I used a modified HOSTS file compiled by a community that sent all ad requests to localhost. B) I never buy anything from the net anyway, so they won't miss me. :D

I hate ad blockers. I never use them. I don't even use pop-up blockers. They annoy me. (This is the truth.)Now that I've got your attention, though: I would fight to the death (well, maybe that's a bit of hyperbole) to defend the right of anyone else who wanted to use 'em. ;-)-- Scot

Hey Scot,And you're a typical user, right???j/k...just joshin' ya ;-)I have good results and no annoyances with Adblock Plus. I've figured out how to make it do what I want it to (if there is any configuration that I need) and it stay out of my way. I'm also good with the popup blockers on FF and IE. Just a couple of clicks and I can watch that video on mlb.com or nfl.com or whatever.

Guest LilBambi
Next spammers will be insisting it should be illegal for us to delete their emails without first reading them and accepting their malware/viral payload.Remember when the TV executives thought it should be against the law to go to the bathroom during commercials?
Sad isn't it? Ad Block Extension is not the only thing that does that. Using MVP HOSTS file does it, or replacing HOSTS file in any OS, or using Opera browser too.

Cluttermagnet
Sad isn't it? Ad Block Extension is not the only thing that does that. Using MVP HOSTS file does it, or replacing HOSTS file in any OS, or using Opera browser too.
Did you say HOSTS in any OS? I have a HOSTS file in Ubuntu Linux? Where is that sucker?Hmmm, I searched, and I see a hosts, hosts allow and hosts deny in /etc, also a hosts folder in /usr/share, etc. No idea, therefore, how I'd use that HOSTS applicable to Windows in a Linux machine. And there are some annoying banner ads I see on my web page under Ubuntu which I don't see under 98SE. I keep HOSTS updated in 98SE. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Did you say HOSTS in any OS? I have a HOSTS file in Ubuntu Linux? Where is that sucker?
cluttermagnet, perhaps this might help. i don't know if the location is the same for ubuntu.http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...mp;hl=host+filep.s. i see you found TeMerc's mvps host update thread. thank you TeMerc.http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...11794&st=80 Edited by cybormoron

When I read this I couldn't help but to think how stupid he sounded, and never could access the site even when using the user-aget switcher, so I left it at that until I saw this thread today. Someone should inform him that you could block access to the ad servers from a blocklist with a firewall add on no matter what browser or os you are running. I suppose he wants to block access for those as well. His new campain would be unless the ad servers load then you won't have access.

I bought AdMuncher for several computers. It works with all browsers. hmmm, I wonder what browser this guy wants me to use? Am I a thief because I bought a product (three times in fact) because it makes my browsing lots more enjoyable? It is my computer, no?

No idea, therefore, how I'd use that HOSTS applicable to Windows in a Linux machine.
Think it's always in /etc in a linux or unix OS. Just a text file, same format for all OS, so just overwrite the existing default file. It's in \winnt\system32\etc\hosts on my win2k boxes. Not certain where XP or later win versions keep it, but it's almost surely there somewhere. Use Win Explorer to search for it. If you do use the big web version of hosts, be aware that you may find some sites blocked, or maybe just some features. It definitely messes-up AOL access -- so, open it with an editor, search on 'aol' and delete or comment those lines. Edited by burninbush

• 3 weeks later...
Yeh, advertisers steal my time. And they give me epileptic fits with their intrusive ads.! I'm gonna sue!
B) I know what you mean by the threat of epileptic fits (even with avatars that bounce all over). But there are solutions that often work. 1. Move the edge of the page left or right to block the offending ad. 2. Hit the Escape key. It often stops the motion in ads (and avatars). Good luck. Oh, a third possibility. Write the web master and tell him/her why you will no longer be able to visit their site. It seems many advertisers don't bother to think about the users who can be really bothered by their freakin' moving ads. I don't do business with those who don't care. ;)

Guest LilBambi
B) Uh, oh. Does this mean I am stealing when I hit the mute button on my TV remote so that I won't be deafened by the volume of the ads? ;)
I knew I liked you Catmoves! A Cat after my own heart! :thumbsup:Sure seems like it. Since they managed to 'piratize' copyright laws, apparently they think they can 'piratize' anything! Sheesh!I wonder if the dictionaries will soon have the new word 'piratize' LOL! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sure seems like it. Since they managed to 'piratize' copyright laws, apparently they think they can 'piratize' anything! Sheesh!I wonder if the dictionaries will soon have the new word 'piratize' LOL! :thumbsup: :( I love that word. I am hereby piratizing "piratize".