Ubuntu alternate CD won't boot

epp_b

I just downloaded and burned Ubuntu 7.04 alternate. I am trying to install it on a used desktop PC here, but I cannot get the CD to boot (the PC finds no boot record on the disc). I've made sure the CD-ROM is in before the HDD in the boot-order in the BIOS settings.I initially tried installing Ubuntu from the LiveCD graphic installer -- which did boot just fine -- but I could not get a resolution above 640x480 (yes, I tried F4 in the CD installer/boot menu), so installing it that way was not very easy. Additionally, it failed while partitioning (no idea why). So, this is why I want to use the text installer.I've validated the ISO, I've burned it to two separate CDs...I can't get it work.Help, please!

Edited by epp_b

Well wouldn't ya know...the first CD I used was just old and done for, the second CD had insufficient space (oddly, my burning app didn't notify me of this...time to use something different).I burned a third CD, and this one works. Sheesh!

I burned a third CD, and this one works. Sheesh!
LOL . . . . 3 CDs to burn ONE distro ?? . . . Man you must be determined to install that one :DAnyway . . . glad it worked !:) Bruno

Ack...the third CD didn't work (it had a corrupted file). Onto a forth...and this time I re-downloaded the ISO and checked it against the MD5 first.

V.T. Eric Layton

Always good to have coasters handy in case of company. Don't want to mar the tabletops with those unsightly water rings. :)

** FUMING **This is the FORTH CD and the SECOND ISO I have used and the integrity test *STILL* turns up bad files :rant:Suggestions?EDIT: hmm...it seems I've wasted a couple of discs B) The disc validates perfectly fine on a different PC. I'll have to fiddle with the hardware on this PC...EDIT 2: Found the problem. The CD-ROM is faulty. Fortunately, this PC has a second optical drive, in which the disc validates :)

Edited by epp_b

EDIT 2: Found the problem. The CD-ROM is faulty. Fortunately, this PC has a second optical drive, in which the disc validates B)
Ye I was just starting to think that it maybe was the CD/DVD-Drive . . . . . makes perfect sense !:) Bruno