Internet Explorer History

-ct-

i'm pretty sure in the History, there is a "My Computer" branch and all files you recently opened are shown.i have IE history completely disabled so i cannot verify, but i was quite sure i saw it there. anyone want to confirm/deny this?

i'm pretty sure in the History, there is a "My Computer" branch and all files you recently opened are shown.i have IE history completely disabled so i cannot verify, but i was quite sure i saw it there. anyone want to confirm/deny this?
Confirmed, Just as you said it. ;)

Confirmed, Just as you said it. :)
Hmmm. I'm running WinXP Pro and the only things I have in History are URL's. My Computer is not there. Is it possible that I turned off that function using somethng like X-Setup or whatever? Don't know. Have to check around and see I discover anything....

• Under Win9x/ME, Internet Explorer's history is stored in c:\windows\history
  • Under Windows NT/2000/XP, it should be stored in c:\documents and settings\<username>\history

These look like ordanary files, just like any other. To bad it's not as simple as copy & paste :) I haven't tried it, but, perhaps you may be able to copy and paste these as actual files using a 3rd-party file manager.

...I haven't tried it, but, perhaps you may be able to copy and paste these as actual files using a 3rd-party file manager.
this has been described earlier in the thread (and not too clearly for me anyway, or maybe i just haven't read it right), but it only seems to work for 9x systems :rolleyes: a way to do it in a flavor of NT would be ideal........

• 8 months later...

a year, 2 system boards, 3 vid cards, 2 power supplies, 4 nics, several hard drive (and a partridge in a pear tree!) it's time to rebuild my systemgoing to format c: and kill win2k, then clean install xp proproblem is, i STILL haven't found a good way to export/import history... :(DotFlunky came up with something that might work, but that's for win98 systems, and i don't have any of those leftibe98765 came up with one way that may work, but then it requires another drive/folder/whatever to have that stored in and accessed to - i prefer to have the system and the files it needs on it's own driveon a side note: any other threads come back from the dead this late here? lol

I think I found something that will do it. http://www.cqure.net/tools.jsp?id=13 (it's over my head B) but quite a few of the posters in this thread can figure it out right away )This History Monitor also looks interesting http://uu0jc.kiev.ua/software/hm.htmlif it opens the History files, it may store them in some sort of file and if you install the program on a new computer, maybe you'd have a way to import the folder from the other computer.

Hello,I've arrived somewhat late here, but this is a very interesting topic, about a long-standing problem; also, the suggestions, methods and pointers above are excellent.Another utility I have found on the Internet is NirSoft's IEHistoryView.IEHistoryView cannot backup the history of IE, but it assists in viewing the sites visited and deleting any number of them; it can also save (export) the URL's to a text, HTML or XML file.Many other utilities can be found at NirSoft's site as well, such as password recovery utilities (password revealers), networking utilities and IE- and OE-related utilities.I've found particularly useful the IECookiesView, and the HTMLAsText (utility to convert HTML documents to plain text files).

exporting the history as a text or html file has been an option for quite a while, but not one which i am looking forexporting/importing enmass so when i open IE on another system, i can scroll back up, do a search, sort by date or site, etc etc is what i'm aiming forit seems it just cant be done like that on NT-based system"IEHistoryView cannot backup the history of IE, but it assists in viewing the sites visited and deleting any number of them;.." so does clicking on the history button in IE".. it can also save (export) the URL's to a text, HTML or XML file." - exactly what several other apps suggested in this thread can do , and i don't wanna do"This History Monitora, so ....a way to import the folder from the other computer. "as mentioned previous, although the history folder can be saved, you can't just copy it to another system, there are a load of registry keys, and probably other index.dat files as well, that also need to be exported yet i haven't found out exactly which one(s) for NT systemsthe search continues.... :whistling:

...Notes:1. Even though I have my desktop folder stored on the D: drive, Windows still won't let me delete the empty desktop folder in C:\Documents and settings. Don't know if there is a way to get around this....
meaning there's 2 sets of folders with settings nowsomething i don't want/needit almost works...DotFlunky posted a way quite a while ago, but only works in 9xother stuff:http://uu0jc.kiev.ua/software/hm.html - tried that doesn't export/import and only goes back less than a month :devil:http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirsoft/utils/iehv.html - same thing :devil:http://www.wbaudisch.de/HistoryReader.htm - again the same, and i'm not about to buy it if i can't see if it will even go back a full year, or rather 999 days i set it toeverything so far either only works on 9x or points to exporting or saving the history as a txt, csv, or html file which then can be used as whatever, or saved into favoritesthis is exactly NOT saving the history, as it appears as it is now when you click the history button in IE5(6) with search by, and sort by :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Doryforos
WinRetA program for tuning Windows and Internet Explorer.This program backs up and restores:- System Registry- Program Settings & Preferences- Shortcuts- Favorites- Drivers- Internet Explorer Settings, History, Cookies & typed Urls... and much more.For convenience, the program supports automatic backup/restore mode.???

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :rolleyes: :P :D :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: yep, in fact this app DOES work!exported from main pc and imported to laptopall the way back as far as i have history :DMOST excellent find, Doryforos :thumbsup: B)

and yes, successfully imported into XP too :)blew away win2k and loaded xp pro tonight - and brought all my history/favs/cookies etc with it << Happy B)