Why you should not use automatix at all

striker

Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . . -- Forum Admins & Moderators
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html B)

B) :w00t: ;) But... it would be both entertaining and beneficial to see EVERY package autopsied with such fervor... Automatix has been the "designated eyesore" from day one. But... and I quote: Automatix exists to satisfy a genuine need. So... until Ubuntu/Debian/Mepis/what_have_you come with something like it preinstalled... we're stuck with...
Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . .-- Forum Admins & Moderators
g15b.gif :hmm: Edited by Urmas

V.T. Eric Layton
Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . .-- Forum Admins & Moderators
Just making sure... B)

Well, I always wondered about automatix . . . and up to now never used it myself, so I guess reading that post gives me good reasons to stay away from it ;):w00t: BrunoPS: No need for me to repeat the disclaimer . . . is there ? . . . B)

Frank Golden
Well, I always wondered about automatix . . . and up to now never used it myself, so I guess reading that post gives me good reasons to stay away from it ;):w00t: BrunoPS: No need for me to repeat the disclaimer . . . is there ? . . . B)
I must be foolish or something. I use Automatix without any ill effects.

Well, I always wondered about automatix . . . and up to now never used it myself, so I guess reading that post gives me good reasons to stay away from it ;);) BrunoPS: No need for me to repeat the disclaimer . . . is there ? . . . B)
I'm not even sure of what automatix does. But it appears to me that it is one of those things that if you want its functionality, the drawbacks will appear insignificant. But if you never wanted it in the first place, they'll appear to be overwhelming. :w00t: Edited by lewmur

V.T. Eric Layton

All Automatix does is run an installation script to install applications that you choose to install. If you look at the command line while Automatix is running, it's just a series of apt-getting, un-tarring, and installing the apps you chose from the list.Disclaimer: I'm stating this from the knowledge of the older versions of Automatix. I don't know for sure how much of what that blog states is true regarding the newer versions.

I must be foolish or something. I use Automatix without any ill effects.
No side effects here either._cyclop.gifsmileywiththirdeye2mf0.gif B) Edited by Urmas

It Works OK for Me on 4 Computers running Ubuntu. 2 of them are amd 64 versions and the other 2 are i386 versions. All Working great for me so far. Automatix2Mel

I can understand why everyone likes automatix it just makes things easier, personally when i did run Ubuntu i never trusted it and never used it.... whats the point there is nothing that it can do that apt-get or aptitude cant .... and as far as Striker first post .. when you have a Ubuntu developer telling you thats its dangerious, thats enough reason not to use it ... everyone here has good experiences with it but i also have a coworker that had a system unbootable after using it

"Ubuntu developer Matthew Garrett has recently analyzed famed Ubuntu illegal software installer Automatix, and found it to be actively dangerous to Ubuntu desktop systems. In a detailed report which only took Garrett a couple of hours he found many serious, show-stopper bugs and concluded that Ubuntu could not officially support Automatix in its current state. Garrett also goes on to say that simple Debian packages could provide all of the functionality of Automatix without any of the problems it exhibits."
sourceAutomatix 'Actively Dangerous' to Ubuntu

I can understand why everyone likes automatix it just makes things easier, personally when i did run Ubuntu i never trusted it and never used it.... whats the point there is nothing that it can do that apt-get or aptitude cant .... and as far as Striker first post .. when you have a Ubuntu developer telling you thats its dangerious, thats enough reason not to use it ... everyone here has good experiences with it but i also have a coworker that had a system unbootable after using it sourceAutomatix 'Actively Dangerous' to Ubuntu
Personally I will continue to use it until something breaks or something better comes along. It is no Big Deal after the many times I and others have had to do a reinstall. Those doing automatix are developers too and there is a lot of animosity between developers especially when other developers get into your territory. It was Automatix2 for me or else go back to Windows. I only have Ubuntu on this computer and without automatix2 I would be dual booting. Just my 2 cents worth..Mel B)

I just read the article, and it appears that the author may be nit-picking. A lot of the things that he specifies as issues appear to mainly be a personal preference. I think I recall two situations where Automatix may in fact break a system, but it is unclear what may break. In any case, it looks like the author has a personal problem with the software. If he wanted to help produce better software, he could lend a hand and help those guys out. :PIt seems that Automatix is updated fairly regularly. It must be popular, if features are being added all the time. ;)Adam

• 1 month later...
Keeping a perspective on Automatix
Bottom LineDon’t use Matthew Garrett’s assessment to scare people away from Automatix. It’s not as dangerous as most people say. At the same time, there are dangers, so don’t make it sound as if Automatix is the recommended way to do things. And, hey, give Ubuntu’s built-in functionality a chance. It’s not Breezy Badger any more.
:thumbsup: ;)