Libranet and Gnoppix...

quint

QuintYou Devil you!!  You know I'm there ;).....
Hi BarryB, great d/l speed for Libranet 2.7...it has just finished d/l'ing...and aw-a-a-a-y we go. ;)

QuintYou Devil you!! You know I'm there :D.....
Hi BarryB, great d/l speed for Libranet 2.7...it has just finished d/l'ing...and aw-a-a-a-y we go. ;)
Man...No fair ;) I'm at work...oh well the week-end is coming

BarryB, all,Well, this is from Libranet 2.7 - very impressive, so far; the install was great! :D They have made vast improvements from version 2.0! :D I mean everything was perfectly detected, configured, and working...including sound! :lol: Do I detect the sixyh "keeper", for me? One thing that I have noticed already: Stability...something that is most important to me, the inexperienced! ;) I recommend this one - highly! It comes with Galeon 1.25, Mozilla 1.0, and Konqueror, web browsers, Evolution and Korn e-mail programs, KDE 3.0 (YAY!), and all the usual...plus, it has gkrellm and KStars; but does not have K3b or the Gimp. :( Oh well I'm sure they can be added. :blink: If I come by anything else, good or bad, will report it. Have a great day all! :lol: I am, for sure. :D

Nice work Quint !!Didn´t you do Libranet a few weeks ago ?? . . . And the Gnoppix are you downloading that one too ?Always first in line our Quint ! You must have set Distrowatch as your homepage ! :blink: :DB) Bruno

BarryB, all,Well, this is from Libranet 2.7 - very impressive, so far; the install was great! :D They have made vast improvements from version 2.0! :D I mean everything was perfectly detected, configured, and working...including sound! :lol: Do I detect the sixyh "keeper", for me? One thing that I have noticed already: Stability...something that is most important to me, the inexperienced! ;) I recommend this one - highly! It comes with Galeon 1.25, Mozilla 1.0, and Konqueror, web browsers, Evolution and Korn e-mail programs, KDE 3.0 (YAY!), and all the usual...plus, it has gkrellm and KStars; but does not have K3b or the Gimp. :( Oh well I'm sure they can be added. :blink: If I come by anything else, good or bad, will report it. Have a great day all! :lol: I am, for sure. :D
For the curious (me) :( , what does "uname -a" say? I am curious which version of debian that libranet 2.7 is based on...If you decide to keep it, you will need to learn to use some of the debian tools, such as apt-get, dpkg, etc, etc, etc.Other packages can be added, once you configure your apt-get "sources.list" file.suapt-get updateexitapt-cache search searchterm/packagenameapt-cache show packagenamesuapt-get install packagenametranquilo

Nice work Quint !!Didn´t you do Libranet a few weeks ago ?? . . . And the Gnoppix are you downloading that one too ?Always first in line our Quint ! You must have set Distrowatch as your homepage ! :lol: :DB) Bruno
Hi Bruno,The Libranet that I installed was version 2.0, and although nice and stable, it had KDE 2.x, which I didn't care for as much as the latest versions.Haven't started on the Gnoppix, still deciding... :blink: ;) Now, you know SFNLF, is my homepage...but Distrowatch has become a priority, since you've initiated us in it's importance. :lol: I am very impressed with this distro, as I was with 2.0, but this one came with KDE 3.0.3, which is nice...and gkrellm! (Not the plug-ins, though - but that isn't any problem.) Thanks for listening. :D

For the curious (me) :lol: , what does "uname -a" say?  I am curious which version of debian that libranet 2.7 is based on...
tranquilo,The output was:quint@libranet:~$ uname -aLinux libranet 2.4.19 #1 Wed Dec 4 22:27:49 PST 2002 i686 unknownWould think that it is based on "woody", but not sure. :blink:

Opps... I meant:cat /etc/debian_versionif it exists for libranet.Sorry for the trouble. :)It looks like 2.7 is based on woody (stable) or sarge (testing), or some combination of testing/unstable from a while ago.tranquilo

I am very impressed with this distro, as I was with 2.0, but this one came with KDE 3.0.3, which is nice...and gkrellm! (Not the plug-ins, though - but that isn't any problem.) Thanks for listening. :blink:
Sounds good Quint ! Really looks like you´re having a brilliant day . . . If you´re looking for the Gkrellm plugins have a look Here they are all listed there.:lol: Bruno

Bruno quote:

If you´re looking for the Gkrellm plugins have a look Here they are all listed there.
Thanks, Bruno, that is a better source than the one I found, and bookmarked, in Mandrake. :blink:

I am very impressed with this distro, as I was with 2.0, but this one came with KDE 3.0.3, which is nice...and gkrellm! (Not the plug-ins, though - but that isn't any problem.) Thanks for listening. ;)
Sounds good Quint ! Really looks like you´re having a brilliant day . . . If you´re looking for the Gkrellm plugins have a look Here they are all listed there.:D Bruno
It's still unfair...Qunit got a head start on me... :blink: ...Gotta catch up :lol: :lol: ..

Barry . . the only thing you can do is take the aftenoon off . . . . get home on the double and start downloading ! :blink: :DB) Bruno

Opps... I meant:cat /etc/debian_versionif it exists for libranet.Sorry for the trouble. :)It looks like 2.7 is based on woody (stable) or sarge (testing), or some combination of testing/unstable from a while ago.tranquilo
No trouble, tranquilo, the more I use the commandline, the better. :blink: Here is all that it put out:quint@libranet:~$ cat /etc/debian_version3.0

Barry . . the only thing you can do is take the aftenoon off . . . . get home on the double and start downloading ! :blink: :DB) Bruno
That is amazing ..you read my mind...ut oh..so did the boss... :lol:

Just tell him it´s urgent . . . you can always come back for a few hours once it´s downloading :blink: . . . . that way tonight you can do the checksums, burn it to CD, and have it installed an hour later. :lol::lol: Bruno

what I'll probably do , is work with that Adios distro until I understand the "what I did wrong...and what I did right" I believe it has to do with the d/l speed too, I have a 52x burner , also d/l it to a windows directory (probably the biggest problem) so I will, re-d/l in Suse and slow down k3b and then , check ISO sum, burn it , check sum again..load and see where I stand..If ok there.............Then watch out gnoppix and libranet...Though I can't see there would be much difference between GNX and KNX (Plus I'm a KDE fan..so Maybe get Libranet to add to my growing collection..Have a whole shelve of linux distros now..

Barry quote:

That is amazing ..you read my mind...ut oh..so did the boss...
Doesn't he realize this is a "new distro"? :blink: You will be happy to hear, Barry, that this is an excellent mirror site - 211kb/s d/l; absolutely error-free MD5 checksums (all the various ways of checking), and wait until you experience the install - not as "eye-pleasing" as ASP or ELX, but every bit as easy and accurate! :lol: I may have to install it on the kids' PC, just for the sake of installing! :lol:

Barry quote:
That is amazing ..you read my mind...ut oh..so did the boss...
Doesn't he realize this is a "new distro"? :lol: You will be happy to hear, Barry, that this is an excellent mirror site - 211kb/s d/l; absolutely error-free MD5 checksums (all the various ways of checking), and wait until you experience the install - not as "eye-pleasing" as ASP or ELX, but every bit as easy and accurate! ;) I may have to install it on the kids' PC, just for the sake of installing! :lol:
He doesn't know what a distro is...Hey maybe that's the out..whenever I talk computers he has no clue anyway...hmmmmHee hee One of the kids computers has about 3 gig of wasted space... :blink: ..good thought Quint

I have a 52x burner , also d/l it to a windows directory (probably the biggest problem)
Barry . . . are your CDs fit for burning at x52 ?? Anyway slow down the burner a bit . . . . As for the Windows partition where you downloaded the ISO: this should be no problem . . . . . only problems can come as you download a file and open it in windows . . . if you leave the package ( rpm, tar.gz etc. but also ISO´s ) as it is and just transfer it to Linux, or burn it directly from there, nothing can happen to it.:blink: Bruno

I have a 52x burner , also d/l it to a windows directory (probably the biggest problem)
Barry . . . are your CDs fit for burning at x52 ?? Anyway slow down the burner a bit . . . . As for the Windows partition where you downloaded the ISO: this should be no problem . . . . . only problems can come as you download a file and open it in windows . . . if you leave the package ( rpm, tar.gz etc but also ISO´s ) as it is and just transfer it to Linux, or burn it directly from there, nothing can happen to it.:lol: Bruno
Well..Bruno I thought I grabbed a disk from the "Better disk stack" but may not have. I think it's me i need slow down sometimes :lol: , but I will will copy to linux area tonight...BTW...I can't leave early :blink: Our Real IT Guy is in Washington DC today ..so I'm the "IT guy by default"

Well, you have more than 48 hours in the weekend to catch up Barry . . . . . I´m sure you will use every minute of that ! :blink: :DB) Bruno

Hopeless - lost causes.  Drowning in a sea of distros!  Shall we send out the rescue ships?
Don't know how I missed your post, Julia...this is quicker: :blink: ss2.jpg

Well, you have more than 48 hours in the weekend to catch up Barry . . . . . I´m sure you will use every minute of that ! :lol: :DB) Bruno
Yes probably will...I'll have to do the family stuff too...I'm about to get myself put in the doghouse if I don't....and our dog is a 110lb German Shepard, that doesn't share her house well :blink:

Hopeless - lost causes.  Drowning in a sea of distros!  Shall we send out the rescue ships?
Don't know how I missed your post, Julia...this is quicker: :blink: ss2.jpg
QuintDon't know about you, But I think Julia trying to say there is something wrong with us....I don't see it...but... :D :lol: :lol: ;)