New HP nc8430 laptop - trouble with [CD/DVD] RWs

epp_b

I just got a new HP nc8430 laptop (I love it!) and I'm having some difficulties with the optical drive. It's a sort mega-combo drive that does everything: CD-RW, DVD+RW (incl. dual layer), and DVD-RW.I just tried to erase a CD-RW using Windows XP's built-in tools, but it gave me no option to "Erase this CD-RW" as it normally should. I tried at least three different CD-RWs, and it did the same thing every time.I tried using DeepBurner Free to erase the CD-RW. I opened up the "Erase Disc" dialog, tried both a Quick Erase and Full Erase, neither of which actually worked (they both showed the progress bar completing, but the disc was never actually erase...the contents still remain)I know the burner hardware is not defective because I can burn DVDs using BootIt NG (my DOS-level partitioning and backup software).HP support says that they do not provide any software tools for working with the optical device, and also suggests to call Microsoft about the issue...but I'm paying "talk-dirty-to-me" call rates to ask what third party software I need to use to work with my optical drive.So...what third party software do I need to use to work with my optical drive? B)

Edited by epp_b

I think I figured out the problem; Windows XP is caching the contents and not showing me the updated contents when I burn or wipe a CD.If I eject the disc and put it back in after burning or erasing, it reads it correctly (I just have to use a third-party tool to erase CD-RWs)

In the 'Properties>Recording' of the drive, see if 'Desktop CD recording>Enable CD recording on this drive' is checked. Also set 'IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service' to start automatically.