ADIOS Linux Live CD ( RH based )

Bruno

Congrats to our Australian friends:From Distrowatch:

The ADIOS Project has released ADIOS Linux Boot CD, version 1.30. ADIOS is a Red Hat based live CD with excellent hardware auto-detection, option to install the system on hard disk and option to save configuration files to floppy or USB storage devices. Created by the Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia, ADIOS comes with a choice of KDE, GNOME or IceWM desktop environments and support for LIDS (Linux Intrusion Detection System) and User Mode Linux.
adios.pngHomepageISO ( 691 MB )md5sum:D Bruno

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarryB

• Bruno

• quint

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to give us somthing more than the facts? I know Red Hat is not at the top of your list of favorites or keepers. Are you going to give this one a try or just wait for a Quint Report? :D

We´ll wait for Quint, Julia ! He is our certified ¨Live CD tester¨ :D :DB) Bruno

After looking at all the setup parameters, I think I will pass. Not a one of the 10 install options looked like something I want to mess with. It looks like it is designed to be tested using a CD and a USB drive together to provide the config information.

Ok..Did a quick d/l and burn this morningTo run from CD option 1 is what you want...Looks like RH except for splash screen with is modified with a Adios splash screen.1. Sound card detected but doesn't work yet..checked Kmix it's ok, but I do have system sound2. Detected network..has IP and Submask, but didn't connect ti Internet, Will check proxy set-up when I get home tonight.Didn't have time to check Usr Mode..will also check that tonightBut other than the splash screen..it's BlueCurve, seems like most of the apps are loaded..or at least available.Quint_ I am assuming you'll do this too...where your initial results the same?

Hi all,Thanks, Bruno, for providing the links and summary B) ; thanks BarryB, for the "right-on" initial assessment. ;)Adios Linux...a "fitting" name. :D The d/l speed was excellent, MD5 checksum - exact, installation - very easy and straight-forward, many possible setup environs, very little user input (not good, in my case), definite RH clone. After the install: most programs do work, sound configuration was not hard, but, like BarryB, could not use the internet :( ; went so far as to edit the "modules.conf" file (since it chose the wrong NIC), still no go. Ran the "Internet Configuration", and thought I had it, since it then detected the correct NIC, but, alas, could connect nowhere; everything else worked well, the graphics are definitely not up to KDE 3.1.2 standards (believe this uses KDE 2.x), all in all this was a quick and easy trial CD, but without internet access, not a "keeper" to me. Adios, Adios Linux... B)

with excellent hardware auto-detection
Well I guess the hardware detection is not as excellent as they claim . . . . . no internet . . . . . no good !I see you did pick up a bit of Spanish in the process . . . . that´s a plus :D B) !B) Bruno

Well I guess the hardware detection is not as excellent as they claim . . . . . no internet . . . . . no good !I see you did pick up a bit of Spanish in the process . . . . that´s a plus B) :( !:( Bruno
Bruno,In all fairness to Adios, they do have several install selections, and perhaps, had I decided to install to hdd, maybe it would have turned out differently :D ; was impressed by the speed at which it was up and running - but I guess it was using some "defaults" that were not applicable to my computer. B) Maybe the next version will be comparable to Knoppix or Slackware Live. B) Thanks.

Well, it still is a shame Quint, we are still looking for a good RedHat based Live CD . . . . we got several good Slack, Mandrake and Knoppix based ones . . . RedHat is still missing in the list. For people who wish to have a look at the different Linux-flavors RedHat is surely one they would not want to miss . . . . B)B) BrunoPS And I did like the logo . . :D

Well I guess the hardware detection is not as excellent as they claim . . . . . no internet . . . . . no good !I see you did pick up a bit of Spanish in the process . . . . that´s a plus B) :( !:( Bruno
Bruno,In all fairness to Adios, they do have several install selections, and perhaps, had I decided to install to hdd, maybe it would have turned out differently :D ; was impressed by the speed at which it was up and running - but I guess it was using some "defaults" that were not applicable to my computer. B) Maybe the next version will be comparable to Knoppix or Slackware Live. B) Thanks.
Thanks Quint...I was hoping that in my haste this moning that I had just made an error somewhere and that was the reason for the internet problems. I guess I'm awkwardly glad someone else hand the same problem.Your right , it was a fast d/l/ and check..Maybe they just need to do some minor tweeking to it.

Well, it still is a shame Quint, we are still looking for a good RedHat based Live CD . . . . we got several good Slack, Mandrake and Knoppix based ones . . . RedHat is still missing in the list. For people who wish to have a look at the different Linux-flavors RedHat is surely one they would not want to miss . . . . :DB) BrunoPS And I did like the logo . . B)
Agreed, Bruno; but in my Linux travels, have come by a distro that is as easy to install (all aspects) on the hdd, as a Live CD is to run from the CD drive! B) It IS true, my friends, and it is a RH clone "par excellance"! It is called: ASP Linux 9.0, and you can now get it from a few different mirrors. Here is but one:ASP Linux 9.0Three CD's, approx. 686 MB / CD. Enjoy. :(

BarryB quote:

Thanks Quint...I was hoping that in my haste this moning that I had just made an error somewhere and that was the reason for the internet problems. I guess I'm awkwardly glad someone else hand the same problem.Your right , it was a fast d/l/ and check..Maybe they just need to do some minor tweeking to it.
Unless we both made some errors. :D Hopefully, that's all it will take. B)

Quit,3 CDs and run from CD ?? Do you need 3 CD-ROM drives ??B) Bruno
Doh! I always leave something out! :( It's not a live CD, has to be installed. :D When I did the install, chose all packages - except the "server" ones" - it did ask for all three CD's, so don't really know if you can get by with just the first one. B) If not for the "Asp" logo, you'd swear you were in RH9. :( Absolutely effortless installation...on par with ELX Linux. B)

But Quint, what I was meaning to say is that we are still looking for a Live RH based CD . . . for our ¨New-to-Linux-Friends¨ to give them a taste without install on HD . . . so if you ever run into a good example, that runs without having to tinker the settings ( hard for new Linuxers ), I could add it to the list in The Tips . . .:lol: Bruno

But Quint, what I was meaning to say is that we are still looking for a Live RH based CD . . . for our ¨New-to-Linux-Friends¨ to give them a taste without install on HD . . . so if you ever run into a good example, that runs without having to tinker the settings ( hard for new Linuxers ), I could add it to the list in The Tips . . .:D Bruno
Ah, I see... :lol: Have not located one as of yet...will keep searching, my friend. ;) You have yet another great idea - surely there is one out there? :lol:

Hmmmm ASP Linux :lol: and ELX Linux...Me think I know what I'm doing tonight :lol: .... I can hear the FTP calling and the CD R/W awaiting the ISO burn........Man I need Help ;) (Hello, My name is Barry and I'm a Linuxaholic.....and loving it)

Yes Barry - you are hopelessly hooked. There is no cure, there is no meeting to attend, just a particular forum for your woes!

Yes Barry - you are hopelessly hooked.  There is no cure, there is no meeting to attend, just a particular forum for your woes!
Yes......isn't it Grand!!!

Oh no! ;) ...come back BarryB... :lol: la_logo.jpg
I dunno Quint...They told me I had a choice...Linux or Booze....The high with linux is Cheaper...less stressful (usually) and last longer..Not to mention doesn't hurt in the morning :lol:

Oh no! :D ...come back BarryB... :lol: la_logo.jpg
I dunno Quint...They told me I had a choice...Linux or Booze....The high with linux is Cheaper...less stressful (usually) and last longer..Not to mention doesn't hurt in the morning ;)
BarryB...welcome to "LA". :lol: (Linux Anonymous).thumbs.up.jpg

Just don't try to do a head count. Some are closet Linux Addicts. My neighbors come over and say "You are on your computer again ? They just don't understand. What we have to endure. It is worth the sacrifices! :lol: ___________________________Teacher A Linux Addict too???? :lol:

Interesting I can get to the internet in Konqueror inside Adios, but not mozillia... ;)
Barry that is not interesting but plain wierd !! Has it got Firebird ?? Or Galeon ??B) Bruno

Interesting I can get to the internet in Konqueror inside Adios, but not mozillia... ;)
Barry that is not interesting but plain wierd !! Has it got Firebird ?? Or Galeon ??B) Bruno
No neither..I'm still checking..I wonder if the cd is slighly corrupted?