How computer experienced are we?

dicknite

SonicDragon
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----Version: 3.12GIT/CM d? s: a-- C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E- W++ N++ o? K? w O- M+ V-- PS+++ PE Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv b DI-- D+ G e h r++ y+------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
You are the only other person in the world that i've met that has one of these. Good to know we are out there lol!I don't know mine off the top of my head, but it's here somewhere. i will post back B)

Lets see....first computer a PC (not yet an XT); first programmed in pascal on a Mac circa 1982; Cobol and PL/I on mainframe circa 1985.

I first started working on "electronic" components in 1953 when I joined the British Air Force as a Radio Engineering Apprentice. My basic training did not even include transistor theory. This gives me 50 years in electronics.However I worked on my first real computer in 1967 and have been using them, either at work or now at home, ever since. My first personal computer was a TRS80 Model 1 modified to run CPM and also modified to use an IBM Selectric as a printer. So I guess you can count me in for 50 years in electronics or for your count 36 years in real computers.I must still be behind the times as I am currently running a PII 350 with 256 Meg of ram, CD burner, scanner and 2 printers and high speed cable internet access.Norm

My first computing started before I was ever introduced to any kind of PC, in 1991. Working in the Air Force on a digital VAX/VMS system (13 clusters). Did just about everything from "the Prompt" or text editing with one version of EDT or another. Got my first PC around 96 (although had used windows at work for a couple of years before. So chalk me up for 13 years.To you "old" military guys.... I had the pleasure of working at a Missile Warning and Satellite Tracking site that was online around 1961 in Alaska. Since it's decomissioning, they have a virtual tour of the place, which was extremely classified when I was working there in '86. You really would have to have a reason to get in the door when it was operational. Unfortunatley, they don't have any pics of the computer room: Like the size of a football field. B) All contacts were made with gold. (built in '58). A real blast from the past. Clear AFSbtw, I used to drive that big ole tracker!! :D Talk about fun!!

Wow! 333 years - that's a third of a millennium!New Math:19 posters have 333 years of experience.This is averages out to 17.5 years per poster.There are a whole truckload of members that haven't posted their years... According to the front page, there are 1625 registered members today.1625 members X 17.5 year average = 28,437 years of experience!I wonder if there's a statistician job available in the government - maybe the budget department? B) d|:^)Dick

Ragnar Paulson
1625 members X 17.5 year average = 28,437 years of experience!
Ah yes, the IBM man-year. 730 programmers working feverously until noon.Ragnar

You are the only other person in the world that i've met that has one of these. Good to know we are out there lol!I don't know mine off the top of my head, but it's here somewhere. i will post back B)
Oh, we're out there. :lol: Have a look at some of the more Linux oriented sites/forums and you will find quite a few people.

A rough estimate of 20 years experience starting with a Timex/Sinclair 1000. Thinking back it was probably already outdated by then but it was good for a learning experience.

Cool! 373 years with only 21 reporting in! If this were an election, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, MSNBC, CNN, and the rest would already be predicting a winner - "with 23% reporting in, we feel confident we can now announce the winner! - people west of the Mississippi and in Hawaii, please plug your ears and turn away from the TV set if you have not voted... And the winner is:"Not the Coleco Adam - haven't heard it mentioned yet...d|:^)Dick