More

greengeek

More good news every day . . . great to be on the winning side for a change ! People start to take Linux serious, like you said in another thread Joy: ¨they used to see us as geeks . . . ¨, all that is quickly changing . . . . . fasten your seatbelts ! :):D Bruno

Joy,The fun with Linux is that there is plenty of variation . . . .maybe Mandrake, RedHat and SuSe will become as common as Windows, but than there will still be the ¨geeky¨ distro´s as Slackware and LFS ! Don´t worry there are plenty of little dark corners where we get to play, out of the spotlight of the major distro´s :D :DB) Bruno

:D I rather like being a geek!  I suppose that soon we will be as common as Windows.
JoyWe could never be common. It is just not possible. Some of us were just born to be ahead of the trend! Some, like you and Bruno, were destined to be way ahead of the trend! :) Now people will just start to look at you with awe instead of bafflement.

I don't mean to be a killjoy but MS just landed a 6-year enterprise deal with the Department of Homeland Security for 144,000 users to be supported by Dell.I think you have a long ways to go...

:rolleyes: I rather like being a geek!  I suppose that soon we will be as common as Windows.
Personaly, Geek is one of the nicer things I've been called...The sailors that worked for me had...ummm rather more colorful names for me :D

I don't mean to be a killjoy but MS just landed a 6-year enterprise deal with the Department of Homeland Security for 144,000 users to be supported by Dell.I think you have a long ways to go...
I think that will continue to happen too. Most Gov shops are MS already and to be honest no one else really provided the DHS with a viable end -to - end process. (At least not one that was explained well enough)I agree Linux has a way to go especially at the US Gov levels...but I think also linux is going to help lower the TOC (especially in cost per seat) for MS products in the long run,those changes are already starting to happen)..and linux will be able to compete in the front-end . Personaly I think that is good for both linux and ms...neither can just sit and wait on the other.

Marsden11Our wish is not to send MS to /dev/null . . . . competition is good for all OS devellopers ! Where would Linux be if there was no MS to compete with ?Let them keep each other alert and make better and diverse products to suit different kind of markets.:rolleyes: Bruno

"The longest journey, begins with a single step".

:D I think Linux has taken a huge leap forward in the last year, we might have a long way to go but we are on the right track.

Competition is best for all concerned.I was involved in a video streaming event over the weekend. Here is a breakdown of countries and clients by OS that participated.We're running between 2100 and 2700 simultaneous feeds... Japan, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Canada, Denmark, Israel, Australia, Netherlands, UK, Belgium, Norway, Germany, France, Czech Republic, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Taiwan, New Zealand, Niue, Hungary, Greenland, Venezuala 1 Windows XP 90,349 43.08% 2 Windows 98 31,908 22.45% 3 Windows 2000 24,968 19.76% 4 Windows ME 12,119 7.51% 5 Mac OS 1,216 4.19% 6 Windows NT 19 1.50% 7 Others 87 0.63% 8 Linux 64 0.40% 9 MSN TV (WebTV) 23 0.32% 10 Windows 95 42 0.16% Average bitrate successfully sent: 150,953bits/sec. Average time stream watched: 10.63mins Average number of times someone returned to watch again: 9.6224

There's a good reason for this (one of many, we can assume). The security problems *we* have with ms is what the .gov wants. how many hackers do you think uncle sammy has working for them, hacking into peoples private lives and business' servers?? personally, I think the reason uncle Bill got off so easy in thems lawsuits over the years is that he guaranteed that there would be security holes for years to come, so the (.gov and .mil and .nsa) hackers can exploit those weaknesses. I'm sure there are millions of people who don't really know the ramifications of "Windows update" let alone firewalls etc. How much do you think the .gov likes that fact that millions of kids are enstalling music sharing software on thier parents computers with the default settings to "Share My Documents" at least!!! Yeah, sure the recording industry is going to win, RIGHT!!! Be tied up in legislation for years to come. I'm sure the biggest research into breaching a firewall is done from within the DOD, and you can be sure that all data is stamped "NOFORN" as the lowest classification.there's enough of you military guys around here to know that this is not some far-fetched idea.I think Linux built-in security is a threat to the bigBrother trend percieved from the Homeland Security sector.[/rant]

See what I mean?? security hole again posted in this thread. I was even surprized to read back a little (at ZDnet) and find such an output of recent patches. I just put in SP4 thinking that there should be only a new critical patch from time to time. I guess that means from week to week.

BeeTeeYou can skip the patches. Just run only Linux. :D Otherwise, probably better switch over to the Windows forum and see what those folks have to say. Most of us here don't pay too much attention to MS anymore. Don't need it!

Hi Jewels,I've been enviously watching your post count go up, as well as your Linux proficiency. course, I don't have the time to read much here, or I would be re-installing SuSE at home, and getting in on all the action!!!!I guess I forgot I was actually posting in the Linux end of the world, and you "guys" are smart enough to know about what I posted already. Hmph..... maybe the IE folks will run across my posts eventually!!! :)Speaking of which, did you see the numbers in the Browser poll recently?? 45% use IE or IE based at this point. all those cookies phoning home all the time. think of the wasted bandwidth!! :D

BeeTeeYou can skip the patches.  Just run only Linux. B) Otherwise, probably better switch over to the Windows forum and see what those folks have to say.  Most of us here don't pay too much attention to MS anymore.  Don't need it!
ThoughtfulEruditeAstuteClearHonestExigentRight-On! :D B)

QuintNow we know that not only do you have a vast array of graphics tucked away, but you also have a wonderful vocabulary. Don't know if I can live up to all that praise. :D I think a lot of the wisdom on the forum can be found elsewhere. I am just smart enough to know to ask the questions.

BeeTeeYou can skip the patches.  Just run only Linux. :D Otherwise, probably better switch over to the Windows forum and see what those folks have to say.  Most of us here don't pay too much attention to MS anymore.  Don't need it!
Very true. Just run Linux or *BSD, and leave MS to it's own devices. :)tranquilo

ThoughtfulEruditeAstuteClearHonestExigentRight-On! :D  B)
Brilliant Quint !! And so true !!:( Bruno
I have Agree with Bruno and Quint ... Julia your out numbered in this vote, besides we also have Quint ,Man you do have style..Bruno a master of eloquence and Linux...and the other frequent posters... Me..I'm the Bull in the China Shop" Type so I have a GREAT apprectaition of you all!!! B) :( B)

Personally, I think M$ is a dying OS........ Everybody can see the potential for it by their actions over the past few years. How can you do business with and trust someone like that...... DHS maybe be using them for 6 years, but guess what they will be using after that?

Barry - Bull in a China Shop is how I felt in May. Amazing what some experience does when you really dig in. B) Trust me, you are making amazing progress. I don't think you qualify as clumsy around here! Together we make a pretty good group. It's the power of give and take. Some of us have just had to take for a while and are just now getting around to where we can contribute. :D

ThoughtfulEruditeAstuteClearHonestExigentRight-On! ;)  :D
not to mention doing all THAT with an average of 15.3 posts per day over 3.5 months!!!!! WOW :lol: :lol: you go girl B)

Barry - Bull in a China Shop is how I felt in May.  Amazing what some experience does when you really dig in.  ;)  Trust me, you are making amazing progress.  I don't think you qualify as clumsy around here!  Together we make a pretty good group.  It's the power of give and take.  Some of us have just had to take for a while and are just now getting around to where we can contribute.  :lol:
Thank You! :lol: I think it's you, Buno and Quint that keep me honest though LOL..or at least slow me down enough to enjoy the journey :D

Julia...I stand by my convictions. ;)  :lol:
Quint, what can I say other than Thank You! It is the inter-play between folks that makes this forum so much fun. :lol: