Comodo firewall pro

crp

1. how does one setup the log to rotate ?
  2. why does it only sometimes pop-up asking what to do ?
  3. how does one filter the log when viewing?

also, when looking at the logs, the scroll keys should be allowed to function.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, can't answer your questions but I could add a few!I read Scot's review and links to the tests with interest. Installed it on a laptop where it won't cause grief to other users. These guys could use some help with their set-up screens. Further, the network around of other PCs has disappeared and it's far from obvious how to get it back.I'm not in a hurry to put this on my main PC if I'm about to lose the network around the house and ability to synch PDAs.Rather odd to have a Custom Security Level option and no obvious link to change it.

All I can do is point you to the forum, maybe someone there has an answer or maybe just more questions.http://forums.comodo.com/Here's the firewall FAQshttp://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,9364.0.htmland a link to the various tutorials for the firewall http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6167.0.html

Edited by zlim

Thanks, Liz, so far it's driving me mad. I get a nag every time IE7 loads despite telling it to remember my Allow preference. I'll do my homework. Though how Scot can prefer the ZA interface is odd. I gather you are a fan?

Thanks, Liz, so far it's driving me mad. I get a nag every time IE7 loads despite telling it to remember my Allow preference. I'll do my homework. Though how Scot can prefer the ZA interface is odd. I gather you are a fan?
hey, i for one think the ZA interface is very good and the best of fw apps out there

I still run a very old version of ZA free 4.5.594I did try a few other and one I was very surprised in that the default let everything act as a server so I had to go in and change things. I prefer everything locked down to start and the firewall asking my advice on what to allow. It is annoying when it is first set up but it calms down after that. I still do not allow IE out; every time I fire it up, which is rare, ZA asks if I want to allow it.I haven't figured out why it is necessary to update a firewall if everything works. I may be missing something - if so, anyone feel free to point out what in a firewall may need to be updated if the OS is not changed.

Edited by zlim

The security landscape is always changing, New virii, new spyware, new trojans, and new ways to get into people's systems. You are likely fine, but if you are not running the latest firewall with the latest updates, you may not be 100% protected. Firewalls have bugs, too. ;)Does that version of ZA still get updates?Adam

The update to ZA would be version 5, 6 or 7 and I don't want to run any of those.You can still download any of the older versions of ZA free at the ZA site and oldversion also has quite a collection.I sit behind a router also so I do have other protection. In addition I do run up to date versions of several security programs: The Cleaner, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, AVG and CounterSpy. I make sure all of those are no more than a few days behind in updates.

That works, Liz, especially if you are careful online. I've not used AV or a firewall for a long time (linux behind a router) and I surf safe, so I know I'm OK.My point was that the updated versions of ZA will likely have slightly better protection. Since you are behind a router, I wouldn't even be using a firewall other then Window's built-in one, since you have a pretty good one blocking intrusions. Adam

My point was that the updated versions of ZA will likely have slightly better protection.
You'd think so but I don't think that's the case here. Scot, in his June newsletter said ZA doesn't have outbound protection because the slider can't be moved above medium. My ZA v4 has outbound protection. How do I know? Everytime I fire up IE, it can't connect until I give it permission (that's only one example). My slider is set to high. I think the earlier versions were less crippled probably because there was no pay version at first.ZA (v7, free) did not fare very well in a testing of firewalls.http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-p...rewalls-ratings Edited by zlim

Cluttermagnet
I still run a very old version of ZA free 4.5.594
that's not old.I am running version 2.6Now THAT is old
Ditto. I run 2.6.362 in 98SE. Probably still does reasonably OK. Probably susceptible to being easily shut down if any nasties do get on your drive, however.