PC Speakers

Peachy

Thought I'd pose an interesting question for all you audiophiles. I just bought a set of Altec Lansing 221 for my work computer because I was sick of listening to my CDs through cheap tinny speakers, and was impressed by the quality of the sound from $69 Cdn speakers. Nice package, too. I still have my Altec Lansing ACS-48 Powercube (2+1) at home and they are still a pleasure to listen to after almost 4 years. Best D*** PC speakers I've ever purchased, especially after going through a number of cheap, tinny, toy speakers. I have no need for 5+1 or 6+1 as I don't have a good home office setup to do it justice, but my ACS-48s are great. B)

I've listened to most of them and even went to the Bose store to see their offering. The Bose sounded good but was not user friendly at all. Also was a bit over priced. I think the Klipsch's sounded the best of the group. Easy to use great sounding. Available in entry level 2.1's or the 4.1's I have or even the 5.1's. While other speaker systems are available now as high as 7.1's who really needs 8 speakers for their PC?I think the 4.1's sound great though I would have gone with the 5.1's due to larger woofer size if the price was better. They sound great all the way from barely audible to full blast. The cross overs in the satelites are seamless and the dual 6.5" subwoofer does a good job with anything from boomy games to Rap, Hip-hop Rock, Metal, Classical nearly everything. Pop in a good sound card and they sound even better. I could actually hear the differnece with an upgrade to the SB Audigy2 from the Live! card.Hope this helps.Chris

Funny you should mention the Altec-Lansing 221.When I saw the topic title, I thought I would mention those too!Just bought a set of those on sale at Best Buy for $50 for an inexpensive system I recently put together for a friend. Was really impressed with how good they sounded for so little money. Like you I have older AL speakers too, and I like them just fine. Granted you can spend a lot more and get a lot more, but if your computer is not the guts of your entertainment center, I think it would be hard to find a better value.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThunderRiver

I prefer Creative a lot because it is cheap with great quality. THX certified too.. << I know.. it is nothing..but heck at least it is certified..