WinXP & NT4 access

lewmur

We have a LAN with about ten workstations and an NT4SP6 Server. We purchased a new workstation with WinXP Pro. It joined the workgroup with no problems but access to the NT4 server is EXTREMELY slow through TCP/IP.(Folders that appear with no delay on the Win98SE and ME workstations, take up to two minutes on the XP.)I installed Netbuie and turned off TCP/IP sharing and it solves the problem but M$ says it no longer supports Netbuie. I've been told that the TCP/IP has something to do with the fact that we have a router and Cable connecting to the Internet that causes XP to look on the ISP for a DNS and waits until that times out.Question. WHY would XP have any need for DNS in a local workgroup???? More importantly, is there anyway around the problem? I have already tried creating an lmhost file with a "***.***.0.3 ntserver #PRE" entry but it didn't help.ThanksLew

nlinecomputers

I noticed that you blanked out your first two quads in your IP address. You are behind a router are you not? How are your IP numbers assigned? As static numbers or is your router providing DHCP? There is no reason for DNS to be an issue. Even if it was you'd be having other TCP/IP related problems. You are on cable was the XP box able to browse the internet? Was it fast?

Yes, the router assigns the IP addresses through DHCP. And yes the XP box has fast access to the Internet. It also has fast access to other workstation in the workgroup. The NT4 server access is the only problem.(I blanked the first portion of the IP addesses simply from habit. It is the standard 192.168)