Slackware Live CD 2.9.0.20

havnblast

Ran Across This:

About: Slackware Live CD is a 200MB live Linux distribution on CD that is based on Slackware. It features many add-ons, including the scripts required to create your own live CD.Changes: This release added bdiff, dbdiff, xdos (a DOSEMU and FreeDOS suite), the Samba client and smbmount, nfsutils, rdist, rsync, nmap, BitchX, the joe, jove, and jed editors, the "most" filter, the Fluxbox window manager, raidtools, jfsutils, reiserfsprogs, xfsprogs, umsdos-progs, and zoneinfo. It is now possible to install your own packages in /usr/local and to copy the CD to hard disk. Netscape and some useless KDE themes were removed. Executables are now compressed with the upx packer.
HomePage

Thanks Kelly, for the info. :) I see there is also a "script package", whereby experienced people (not me), can create there own Linux Live CD! :) :)

Again a new version Slack Live ?? They sure are busy there at Slackware-Live.org !:) Bruno
They sure are, Bruno; maybe version 10.0 is on the horizon. :)

Does your wife know whast you are doing? Do you send her to the store every week to buy a new stack of blank CDs? Or is she just happy to have you occupied?Does she think things are a little slack around the house?

Does your wife know whast you are doing?  Do you send her to the store every week to buy a new stack of blank CDs?  Or is she just happy to have you occupied?Does she think things are a little slack around the house?
:lol: Good ones, Julia. :o Actually, get some good deals by buying 100 at a time - always includes rebates of some kind; the missus is probably happy about it...keeps me from bothering her! :P Try to always do what needs to be done - right now, that would be mowing, planting, cultivating, etc., etc....sure do miss winter. ;)

I bet so. My husband tries to keep up with the yard work in the summer but in the winter he can kick back and relax. Just so long as he runs 50 miles a week or so. I think I spend about the same amount of time on the computers as he does running! Those stacks of 100 with rebates really are a great deal when you can get them (which is every other week, isn't it? I don't know how they make any money that way! I have my vector 4 burned. Now just deciding what to do with it after a weekend of putting computers together, replacing bogus parts and getting back up and running so hubby won't freak due to a mess in the computer room! B)

Julia quote:

I have my vector 4 burned. Now just deciding what to do with it after a weekend of putting computers together, replacing bogus parts and getting back up and running so hubby won't freak due to a mess in the computer room! 
All my good thoughts go out to you, Julia. :( And if/when you decide to install VL 4.0, I hope you fare better than I. :( While it was copying it's files to my new hdd, after 61%, it gave me a "corrupt files" error message...yes, before burning I did the MD5 checksum - it was perfect. I will burn another CD at a slower speed, hopefully I'm not "grasping at straws". :blink:

Quint,During the install of Vector there is a screen that asks if you want to check the files on their integrety . . . did you say yes or no there ??:) Bruno

All my good thoughts go out to you, Julia. :) And if/when you decide to install VL 4.0, I hope you fare better than I. :) While it was copying it's files to my new hdd, after 61%, it gave me a "corrupt files" error message...yes, before burning I did the MD5 checksum - it was perfect. I will burn another CD at a slower speed, hopefully I'm not "grasping at straws". :)
It looks like I defnitely was not meant to install it yesterday. The CD still sits right in front of me. Our power went out right around 3:30 and did not come back on until almost 2 in the morning. Then it went on and off several times before staying on.Talked to the repair crew about 8:30. Now I have heard every line possible. The power was supposed to have been back on by then. They said it was our block and they were starting at the far end looking for additional problems because they only had one fuse left! I did not no substations had fuses and it just baffled me that they would make such a statement. This same substation has been hit by lightening so directly in the past that all the wires have been fused together. It must have been a mess this time. All I can say is I am glad I powered down right before hand and thank goodness for UPS, even though I don't have one with enough juice to last that long. :) I guess this distro will have to wait until my day off tomorrow. :)

Quint,During the install of Vector there is a screen that asks if you want to check the files on their integrety . . . did you say yes or no there ??B) Bruno
You caught me! :D "The Sherlock Holmes Elementary Penguin". B) I did , in fact say "no", taking a chance, because the MD5 was OK...well, it wasn't OK. B) After the new d/l and install and MD5 check, yes, I did answer "yes" to the integrity check, and all was OK that time. :D It all boils down to this: sometimes we choose to learn, and other times we are forced to. B) "...I've learned my lesson well..." :D Thanks, Bruno. B)

It looks like I defnitely was not meant to install it yesterday.  The CD still sits right in front of me.  Our power went out right around 3:30 and did not come back on until almost 2 in the morning.  Then it went on and off several times before staying on.Talked to the repair crew about 8:30.  Now I have heard every line possible.  The power was supposed to have been back on by then.  They said it was our block and they were starting at the far end looking for additional problems because they only had one fuse left! I did not no substations had fuses and it just baffled me that they would make such a statement.  This same substation has been hit by lightening so directly in the past that all the wires have been fused together.  It must have been a mess this time.  All I can say is I am glad I powered down right before hand and thank goodness for UPS, even though I don't have one with enough juice to last that long. B)  I guess this distro will have to wait until my day off tomorrow.  :D
Sorry to hear of your "outage" - we've had a few here recently also (I was not as fortunate as you re: shutting down first), but I'm sure, Julia, you will be very successful, when you do the installation. B) It may be, that they only "had one left", as substation fuses can be quite large, be able to protect cables rated in excess of 38KV, and are very expensive. sm_overview.jpgAnd, to quote Ms. Scarlett: " ...tomorrow, is another day..." B)

Thanks Quint. I feel better now. But 5 1/2 hours to install it? I bet I could have helped them do it quicker. :( Actually if it was like usual, it was a mess. I was just happy to see the lights come on. Forn another install: As they say in Italy, sempre domani - always tomorrow! :(

Sonic,Does the Slack live actualy run on your PC . . . that PC that won´t run any other distro ???That´s great Sonic ! Really great.:lol: Bruno

SonicDragon
Does the Slack live actualy run on your PC . . . that PC that won´t run any other distro ??
Well i haven't tried it on that one yet, but it runs great on the main one :)BTW, Knoppix Live does run on that PC, at least with Fluxbox! So does DamnSmall, but knoppix is certainly a better choise. I'll have to go try on the old one! BRB!<edit>Nope, it doesn't work lol.</edit>

I didn't even try my Slackware Live Cd. I went right for the real thing the other day. My earlier problems with both the Live and regular has now been isolated. The USB mouse connection on the wireless mouse/keyboard combination. Amazing, what a little thing can do to an install. I am still booting from the CD though so I don't have to update my Lilo.

I didn't even try my Slackware Live Cd.
Ha ! A new project Julia ! Where is that CD . . . get it in your CD-ROM and go for it !;) Bruno

Guess I don't need the CD now that we installed Slack into myLilo! Maybe I should go look at another CD. That or start backing up packages so don't have to download them all again.

Making back-ups is not a bad idea . . your new board must be coming in every day now . . . finaly you will be able to do the definite install of Mandrake ! B) And Slack :DHurray another install party !B) Bruno