How to use forum search

tommyj12

Ok this is really getting me. No matter what parameters I use my forum searches always come up empty. :icon8: Can I get some tips on how to search here please. Driving me crazy not being able to find the info I know is here. Most times I have to go through the pages manually to find what I am looking for, and it's a bummer. B)

B) :) :hmm: What the... ? About the only thing I can think of... "Search where"... choose either "all forums" or the particular sub-forum you want to perform the search within. :icon8:

tommyj12, give me one item you'd like to search, I'll play around with the features and spell out in detail what you need to do. About the only thing I can do well computer-wise is search. :thumbsup:

Here is an example where I was searching for this post by post by striker.http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=17660 I used the following parameters : Keywords: firefox extensions security Filter by member name: Striker Search where: all things linux any date; search entire posts; descending order; show results as topics What can I do to improve my searches? Where am I going wrong here? :thumbsup: Thanks Tommy

Might have been too many keywords, or perhaps the search was looking for a phrase....I took a quick look at the topic. I didn't see the word "firefox". The people participating in the topic called it "FF".If it was looking for all the keywords, or looking for the complete phrase "firefox extensions security", it wouldn't find them in the topic you were trying to find.

Guest LilBambi

I think the key on forum searches is KISS.Knowing that Firefox Extensions are pretty unique and particularly if limited to one user (striker), try:search word: extensionsuser: strikerforum: All Things LinuxYou will get the following with the one you likely want second:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...lite=extensionsHope that helps, Tommy.

I too use usually one keyword. Since it is linux and you wanted extensions for a browser, I think FF is unnecessary. I don't think any other linux browsers have extensions.I also limit my time to a few months. If I only get a few hits, then I increase the time. Chances are good, if I vaguely remember the post, it was posted in the last 2 or 3 months. I'm still amazed by year old posts I read that I don't remember!

Edited by zlim

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try them and see if I can improve my results. I usually pride myself on being able to find stuff. There is so much info out there if you only know who to find it. :) That's usually the only way I can help someone is to point them to the solution elsewhere. I remember the gest of it when I read them the first time, but get frustrated when I know that would help them and can't find it. :D Thanks again everyone, Tommy

Edited by tommyj12

:devil: Did I hear someone yelling my name ? :D yep Tommy, just use one word and one word only in the search field, you see it's a forums search driven by the forums software, it's not google. As a matter of fact most of these forums search functions (how do I say this without being crude ..) don't work that well, people often think in those cases it just works like google, but it ain't so. So just one word, say the most obvious, that wil get you a bunch of records to wade through. Have a nice wade through ! :hmm:

This site along with kdelook.org are the only two where I have this problem. :devil: I did have some luck today, with using the one keyword. :hmm: Thanks again for the tips. Striker I have the feeling you are very skilled at searching. :D Judging from the tips you post in atl, I know you are. happy searching..... Tommy :D

• 2 weeks later...
This site along with kdelook.org are the only two where I have this problem. ;) I did have some luck today, with using the one keyword. :D
Good for you Tommy! :thumbsup:
Thanks again for the tips. Striker I have the feeling you are very skilled at searching. ;) Judging from the tips you post in atl, I know you are. happy searching..... Tommy ;)
Yes, we are very lucky to have striker at ATL beside others. I too agree with Fran's ( KISS ) and Liz. When I have a problem that I remember having some months ago and I don't have a solution in my notes I do a search with my name, the approximate time it happened and a single word ( usually the name of the distro I am having problem with ) ... et voilà. Have fun searching.