Free AVG HardDrive Scan Exclusion(s)

RandomBox

*For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to prevent AVG from scanning certain HDDs.*From what I have seen thus far, there is no way to exclude certain HDDs from being automatically scanned.*I have 6 SCSI HDDs and I don't want some of these drives to be scanned at all.*Maybe I have to look for an alternative to AVG for my peculiar needs. I am open any and all suggestions (including alternative Anti-Virus programs of the FREEware kind)!Thank you in advance!

Are you saying that when you go to "Control Center>Test Center>Scan Selected Areas" that partitions that you "don't" select are scanned anyway, or that not all your partitions are listed as available to select, and these "unavailable partitions" are then scanned anyway?Or is there some other problem?

I agree with Specmon's question. I also use AVG Free and just did a test scan on one folder (My Documents). It took a few seconds and finished. It did not scan anything else.I would not consider trading it for anything else in the foreseeable future.

No, No!I apologize for not being clearer!I am NOT talking about performing a manual scan, via the >> 'AVG Control Center' >> 'Test Center' >> 'Scan Computer' (or >> 'Scan Selected Areas') functionality. These two (above) functions are user initiated scans which take place only when selected/initiated manually.The question strictly applies to the automatic scans that are performed without user initiation ( i.e. those that are done periodically; based on the AVG' preset schedule {which, btw, also cannot be modified}).I really am not trying to talk in tongues and I wish there was a simpler way to detail what I am attempting to ask. :wacko:I thank you for your attempted assistance, thus far. :huh:

I just checked mine and i believe Davey is correct here...under Scheduler it gives Complete test as one option and User test (which is selectable) states available only in paid ver.patio. :thumbsup:

I just checked mine and i believe Davey is correct here...under Scheduler it gives Complete test as one option and User test (which is selectable) states available only in paid ver.patio. :thumbsup:
Exactly my findings and as stated in the initial post. I thought I was missing something!I would hate to do it but I think I may just have to find an alternative to my beloved AVG! waaaaaaaaaaa!Thank you for all that have taken the time to reply.

Closure to my dilemma: After all these years, I was forced to go thru a painless divorce with AVG FREEware! :(After some reading/reseach, and a few installation trial and errors, I am now using the Avira Anti-Virus Personal Edition Classic FREEware. I hope I never have to find out that it is not robust.It will not allow excluding HDDs from being scanned but at least it is a little more flexible and allows me to exclude certain file extensions from being scanned.The following were the others that I tried but the Avira won for my needs!2. BitDefender V8 3. ClamAV For Win32 Last release is dated 11/05/2006 (V0.88.6-1)4. Comodo AntiVirus

I am now using the Avira Anti-Virus Personal Edition Classic FREEware. I hope I never have to find out that it is not robust.
Worked like a charm for me all the time I used XP (2002-2005). Go Luke! ;) an11tk2.gifOne thing though... unless they've changed their evil ways, you'll be getting occasional showers of "upgrade-now-nag-screens". If that's still the case, the following fix might be in order (XP Home):
1) Boot into safe mode2) Log in as "Administrator"3) Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe right click on it in explorer go to properties->security->Advanced-> edit then select the option to not let it execute for all users.
:hmm:

Urmas,You just shocked the daylights out of me as I have never heard of this LUKE AV. And I kid you NOT when I tell you that I really did a whole bunch of reading and searches but that brand has never popped up in any of my searches and the comparisons and my previous experience with security stuff! Avira also has some nag ads when it updates itself but yours looks much more interesting and exactly as what I was looking for. Presently I am just beating around the bush with Avira and faking it to not look inside of certain types of extensions. AVG pulls what it thinks is spyware VIRUS (most of the time wrong) and has corrupted gigs worth of my data and I just started catching on to this when I attempted to burn some of my data onto external USB drives and/or DVD+Rs. I kept getting corrupt file notifications and it took me about a week to realizes that the cause of it was AVG! I am really that ticked off at AVG but this is a personal issue between me and AVG and hence the divorce!I owe you one >> what can we trade??? j B)-----------------------------------------------Edited to change spyware to VIRUShttp://techrepublic.com.com/5138-1009-5722091.html

Edited by RandomBox

You just shocked the daylights out of me as I have never heard of this LUKE AV. --- ---Avira also has some nag ads when it updates itself but yours looks much more interesting and exactly as what I was looking for.
B) Ooops! Sorry... it wasn't my intention to... OK, OK:"Luke Filewalker" is (well... was, anyway) Avira's (=the artist formerly known as AntiVir) on-demand scanner. Hence, we're talking about same nags.

Just found out that I guess they don't call it Luke FileWalker anymore (or maybe even any less). It is just an added feature that is part of the Avira. I am kinda worried about this Avira AntiVir. It does get some very good (if not great reviews) but I hope they are not going to be one of those AVs that go kaput soon!I take back what I owed you! :hysterical:10Q none-the-less!

AVG pulls what it thinks is spyware
Were we not talking about AVG's free anti-virus ? This version does not scan for spyware. You would need to have AVG AntiSpyware.

I am kinda worried about this Avira AntiVir. It does get some very good (if not great reviews) but I hope they are not going to be one of those AVs that go kaput soon!
I wouldn't worry too much... AntiVir has been around for ages... since 1988 <says Google>, and it's much "bigger" and better known in Europe than on the New Continent.http://www.free-av.com/http://www.avira.com/en/company/index.htmlSupport forum:http://forum.avira.de/index.php?langid=1 ;)

[Edited to correct missing word. AG]Hello,Avira (formerly H+BEDV) and has been around since the late 1908s and both the company and the CEO, Tjark Auerbach, are well-known in the anti-virus community. To date, they have not had a lot of exposure in the North American market, but they have good market penetration in Germany, where they are located, and radiating outward from there. Offering a free version for personal home use is a good move for them and will likely increase their global exposure.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky