Multiple websites on IIS

drullens

Hi,At home, I have an ADSL connection to the internet. My ADSL router has one IP address that has been registered through DNS to domain name and the website address of my rugby team. In the NAT table of my router, the internet IP address is linked to the internal server address. No problems so far.But now, I have plans to host a personal website on the same server. I also want to register a domain name for this personal website. A couple of questions come to mind:1. Can I register a second domain name in DNS on the internet that will point to the same IP address of my router? I would guess so, but not sure.2. What do I need to do to make sure that visitors for the rugby website and visitors for my personal site actually reach the right site? So far I have created two virtual servers (one for rugby, one for personal) in the IIS of my Win2K Advanced Server (SP4).3. Where do I have to do things? In IIS itself or maybe also in the NAT of my router?(A friend suggested "name based virtual hosting", but he's using Apache on Linux)Thanks in advance,Dave

That's an easy one...Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) allows you to map multiple Web sites with the same port number to a single IP address by using a feature called Host Header Names. By assigning a unique host header name to each Web site, this feature allows you to map more than one Web site to an IP address. Configure Web Sites by Using Host Header NamesTo configure Web sites by using the Host Header Names feature, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.2. In the Internet Information Services window, expand * server name (where server name is the name of the server).3. Right-click the Web site that you want, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu that appears.The Web site name Properties dialog box appears (where Web site name is the name of the Web site that you selected).4. Under Web Site Identification, select the IP address that you want assigned to this Web site in the IP Address list.5. Click the Advanced button.6. Under Multiple identities for this Web Site, click the IP address, and then click Edit.The Advanced Web Site Identification dialog box appears.7. In the Host Header Name box, type the host header that you want. For example, type www.example1.com. Add the port number, select the IP address from the list, and then click OK.NOTE: If you want to configure this Web site with additional identities, click Add. Use the same IP address and TCP port, but enter a unique Host Header Name, and then click OK. For example, if you want to access the same Web site from both the Internet and a local intranet, you could configure the Web site identity in the manner shown in the following example: IP Address TCP Port Host Header Name 192.168.0.100 80 www.example1.com 192.168.0.100 80 example1.com 8. In the Advanced Multiple Web Site Configuration dialog box, click OK.9. In the Web site name Properties dialog box, click OK.You return to the IIS window.10. Right-click the next Web site that you want, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.11. In the IP Address list, select the same IP address that you selected in step 4, and then click Advanced.12. Under Multiple identities for this Web Site, click the IP address, and then click Edit.The Advanced Web Site Identification dialog box appears.13. In the Host Header Name box, type a unique host header for this Web site. For example, type www.example2.com, add the port number, select the IP address from the list, and then click OK.14. In the Advanced Multiple Web Site Configuration dialog box, click OK.15. In the Web site name Properties dialog box, click OK.You return to the IIS window.16. Repeat steps 10 through 15 for each Web site that you want hosted on this IP address.17. Register the host header names with the appropriate name resolution system -- for example, a Domain Name System (DNS) server or, in the case of a small network, a Hosts file.The Web sites are now configured to accept incoming Web requests, based on their host header names.Note:Do not assign a host header name to the default Web site. Many programs expect the default Web site to use an IP address of (All Unassigned), TCP Port 80, and no host header name.