moving to new hard drive

crp

I am planning on migrating partitions (var and home for sure) to a newer harddrive on a RH9 running a BIND and sendmail server.Do I need to reboot and login as single user or would it be ok to just unplug the NIC ?

Hi crpNot sure if I understand fully what you try to say . . . . But I fail to see why you would need to do either of them . . . . . . if you just copy ( not "mv" ) the /var and /home to the new partitions, and next change the /etc/fstab to the new partitions, you only have to reboot to have the new situation active. After that you can delete the files on the old partitions.NOTE: make sure you re-set the ownership on the /home partition after moving the files as root ( chown -R crp:crp /home/crp )B) Bruno

Hi crpNot sure if I understand fully what you try to say . . . . But I fail to see why you would need to do either of them . . . . . . if you just copy ( not "mv" ) the /var and /home to the new partitions, and next change the /etc/fstab to the new partitions, you only have to reboot to have the new situation active. After that you can delete the files on the old partitions.NOTE: make sure you re-set the ownership on the /home partition after moving the files as root ( chown -R crp:crp /home/crp );) Bruno
It is a mail server so the var and home have files that are constantly being changed.by the way: anyone know what the error message:nfs_get_root: getattr error=5 (which seems to freeze the boot up) is really trying to tell me?

It is a mail server so the var and home have files that are constantly being changed.
Ahaaaa . . . . . maybe you can stop the server for a few minutes and use a LiveCD to do the job ?
by the way: anyone know what the error message:nfs_get_root: getattr error=5 (which seems to freeze the boot up) is really trying to tell me?
Sorry . . . does not ring a bell at all.;) Bruno

. . . . . . if you just copy ( not "mv" ) the /var and /home to the new partitions, and next change the /etc/fstab to the new partitions, you only have to reboot to have the new situation active. After that you can delete the files on the old partitions.;) Bruno
hmm, I could not cp the /home/ directories. For each one (user) I got an error of Input/output from the cp command. Tried to use SuperFileManager and that didn't either :hmm:

Did you use the "cp -r" ( with the -r argument ) as root ?? :P Bruno
nope B) for some reason I thought -a would include the directories.Thanks. now just have 3 more reboots to go :(

B) Glad it worked !But don't forget to re-set the ownership of the /home directories to their original users:group . . . because in moving them they are now owned by root:root !!:P Bruno

:thumbsup: Glad it worked !:hmm: Bruno
B) it didn't for some reason, the cp just would not do directory creation , no matter what switch I used. :devil: all I want to do at this point is get the system over to a bigger harddrive. So, are there any cloning/ghosting programs out there that support direct copying and ext3 ?

This makes me very curious to see the exact command you were using . . . and what the response was you got in the terminal.Anyway: There are 2 commands here below . . . Copy a hard disk partition to another hard disk:

# dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hdb2 bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

Cloning an entire hard disk:

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=notrunc,noerror

Be carefull adapting dd commands . . . they can wipe your drive in seconds !:thumbsup: Bruno

This makes me very curious to see the exact command you were using . . . and what the response was you got in the terminal.
as root
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdd2 /mnt/point/cd /mnt/pointcp -a -r -u -v /home .

gave me error messages about not being able to create directories, tried

cp -a -r -u -v /home /mnt/point/

and got the same thing.Can't give you the error verbiage, the harddrive was taken out.

Hi crpYour command puzzles me a bit . . . . the "-a" argument is "same as -dpR" . . . so you will not need the "-r" ( same as "-R" ) Also the "-u" ( copy only when the SOURCE file is newer than the destination file or when the destination file is missing ) makes only sense if there are already files on the target.Next: you copy /home to /mnt/point/ . . . and I think you should copy /home/* to /mnt/point ;)So please try this:

# chown -R crp:crp /mnt/point# chmod 775 /mnt/point# cp -rdv  /home/*  /mnt/point/

( change the crp:crp in the first command to what you see are the user:group in "ls -l /home/crp" ):hysterical: BrunoPS: I think the problem was that /mnt/point was owned by root and the "-p" ( preserve ) wanted/forced to copy files owned by crpYou could also do a simple "cp -r" without other arguments and change the permissions/ownership on the copied files after the copy has been done.