Antivirus

DarkSerge

DarkSerge!No need to get offended, we take our security {and OS} seriously in the SFNL::Forums and we get passionate about it/them!Even if a fellow member said to me "You stoopid head, stop using BrandX spyware!": I would take that to mean that "Friends ONLY recommend friends FREEware!"... :thumbsup: {IMHO}AVG Anti-Virus in combination with the new AVG (Ewido) Anti-Spyware appear to make a great combination in any setup!But remember I am a stoopid head! :D----------Hi Debora! :hmm:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DarkSerge

• Debora

• Gary

• JerryM

Guest LilBambi
From the best I can tell, it's version 7. As for scanning of email, all I can tell you is that I opened one that had an attachment but didn't open the attachment, although it appeared to come from a trusted source, I never open attachments unless I either requested it or rec'd a note in advance that it's headed my way, and even then I have implimented a neat little diddy..... if anyone is going to send me an attachment personally, they MUST include the word "wiggles" in the subject line or I delete it....... Anyway, when the email opened, and I'd not yet touched the attachment, AntiVir bleeped at me and asked what I wanted to do with the infected file. I've noticed that this version also constantly scans when I'm surfing my hard drive because I have a keylogger that I purchased and it sets off the antivirus program everytime I open the folder that holds that program.
What email program do you use?Also, I hope "wiggles" WAS supposed to be in the subject line or you used that word to throw off the spammers. :hmm: Since every spammer now knows what you expect LOL!You actually purchased a keylogger? You must have had a very big need for one since just having one installed on your system can make you more vulnerable to attack.AntiVir (the older) version before they went to the new one with the guard and all, I used to use it to scan all computers back in the Win98/98SE/ME days. They caught things that others did not when scanning all files at that time.
{IMHO}AVG Anti-Virus in combination with the new AVG (Ewido) Anti-Spyware appear to make a great combination in any setup!
Yes, a great team there. Not the only ones I would use, but certainly in the arsenal. :thumbsup:

LilBambi, I use Outlook for email. And yes on the wiggles question! LOL As for the keylogger, I needed to "watch" where and what my kids were doing online a little closer than just over the shoulder here and there as one thought they were getting smarter than me! HAHAHA Imagine that!!! What I ended up doing was having one written specifically for me. And the best part is that I could customize it as he did the coding and I had him call it IDE Driver so that when it appears in the task manager anyone looking will just think it's a needed service and not kill it!RandomBox..... Right back at ya!!!JerryM..... remind me again which one of the travel isp's you chose.....hmmmmmm whew! I think thats everyone that needed a direct answer, right? If not, point me where I missed it please.....

Edited by Debora

Just to add another note for the topic starter specifically...... if you insist on using either McAfee or Norton, go to this website: http://www.freeafterrebate.info/ and look around for current versions that are free after rebate and has a year subscription as well. It usually is an upgrader's rebate which means they'll want proof for example, sent to McAfee that you're currently using Norton, or visa versa....... but a great site for lots of free or nearly free after rebate stuff!heh.... what can I say... it's a hobby remember..... :thumbsup:

I still have a month left on my Norton. I think I'll be trying out AVG after that and I've got time to read more about it. So far it seems it might be the easiest with the basics that I'm looking for. I figured I'd get the best opinions from this forum.

AVG Free can automatically update if you leave your computer on.There is an update schedule that can be set up, and may be setup by default.You can define what time of the day to check for updates.Sometimes you may manually check for updates and find a new update, but that is probably because the update occurred after the scheduled update check time.AVG free has worked well for me.I gave up on Norton half way through a year's subscription and switched to AVG free.(had occasional update problems with Norton)

LilBambi, I use Outlook for email. And yes on the wiggles question! LOL As for the keylogger, I needed to "watch" where and what my kids were doing online a little closer than just over the shoulder here and there as one thought they were getting smarter than me! HAHAHA Imagine that!!! What I ended up doing was having one written specifically for me. And the best part is that I could customize it as he did the coding and I had him call it IDE Driver so that when it appears in the task manager anyone looking will just think it's a needed service and not kill it!RandomBox..... Right back at ya!!!JerryM..... remind me again which one of the travel isp's you chose.....hmmmmmm whew! I think thats everyone that needed a direct answer, right? If not, point me where I missed it please.....
HI Debora,I recall, I think, that you used a different one. The one I chose washttp://www.mytravelaccess.com/pricing.htm#It has been totally satisfactory when I travel.Best,Jerry

I spoke with a friend of mine, whom I also get my computerly advice from. He too had switched to AVG and was able to recommend it. So after my subscription runs up, I'll be giving AVG a run.

Guest LilBambi

That's a great tool Gary. Norton has been notorious for not fully uninstalling the software and leaving registry keys and files and associations not returned to pre-Norton specs.

AVG here and for about the past 3 1/2 to 4 years with no problems....also Darkserge if the time it's set to update and scan the machine is not in use it does it automatically on startup.I'd also highly recommend AVG Anti-Spyware as well which was formerly known as Ewido.Focuses more on trojans and keyloggers so works well side by side with AVG AV.patio. :)

i had heard about Norton leaving pieces of itself around. Do I run this program instead of the uninstall or do I run a standard uninstall then run this program?I'll have to check out that AVG Anti-spyware as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

Yep, that's it! "It's Free. Forever. No Catch. No Kidding" :thumbsup:Works well so far on the computers I have tried it on.Be careful with putting it on a very slow computer with limited memory though because it is a heavier program than say ZoneAlarm Free.

my old laptop hasn't had protection for over a year now, and I've never had problems so really i don't think i'll be doing much for it. i don't run it very often anyway.any more recommendations for comodo?how is it on system resources?hey, i just realized that earlier this month was my two year mark on this forum

Edited by DarkSerge

Guest LilBambi

Little heavier on system resources than say, ZoneAlarm Free. That's why I mentioned the slower computers or those with less memory.Best thing to do is try it and see how it does. It uninstalls cleanly if you don't like it. ;)Congrats on the 2 year mark! ;)

Try an old version of ZA free - not as bloated. I can see the need to upgrade a firewall.I run v 4.5.495 successfully on 98SE, ME and 2K and the computers range from 120MHz to 2.4+GHzYou can grab any version here http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarmI'm still trying to locate past articles about the owner of Comodo. He ran some adware/spyware in some of his products. Until I can post legitimate links - treat this as mere hearsay.

Edited by zlim

If performance rather than ease-of-use is your criterion then the Comodo firewall is the top contender. The firewall itself is very robust and it comes with a well designed intrusion detection system as well. Comodo also supports internet connection sharing, while the free versions of Kerio and ZoneAlarm do not.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#5
PC Magazine designates Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 (http://www.comodogroup.com) the best free firewall. Neil Rubenking had previously reviewed four free firewall programs, including free versions of ZoneAlarm (since updated) and Kerio (since discontinued), and concludes that Comodo is much better. Rubenking asserts that Comodo "works as well as all but the best for-pay firewalls."
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software...lls/review.htmlDownload from here http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ or here http://www.comodo.com/Current version does not support Vista. Edited by b2cm

Some DSL service providers have hardware firewalls on the server side that may be protecting you from the basic attacks to your network, but running a lean mean sw firewall cannot hurt and provides that additional security that you should normally have if you are not way too advanced user. Don't ignore the sw firewall requirements of your system please!

... I'm still trying to locate past articles about the owner of Comodo. He ran some adware/spyware in some of his products. Until I can post legitimate links - treat this as mere hearsay.
TeMerc's post does not discuss Comodo as a potential nasty, either!

It isn't the firewall, it is the main person behind the Comodo group. I'm still searching because I can't remember his name.The only link I've found so far is here http://forums.pcworld.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21369in the 5th post by SpiritWind. Hopefully, I'll stumble across the guy's name and can do a proper search with all the articles and the finger pointing.found some names http://www.infosecurityproductsguide.com/h...omodoGroup.htmlnow to search.they aquired another company PSOFT in 2005http://www.signal42.com/comodo_acquires_psof_dcj.aspxSo far all i found is that one comment so you can assume I don't know what I'm talking about! ;)

Edited by zlim

I have cable internet and an older wired router with a hardware firewall, but I've never seen any updates for it's firmware. I figured might be good to have a sw firewall. This computer is a 3 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM running WinXP. So I'm sure it would run just fine on here.when i have more time (it's late and i should be in bed) i'll do some research myself

This computer is a 3 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM running WinXP.
The firewall installs the 'Comodo Firewall Application Agent' (cmdagent.exe) as a Windows service. This runs in the background and uses about 7 megabytes of memory. The firewall executable (cpf.exe) uses about 16 megabytes. Together with Avast! ('standard shield' only) the system performance hit is very minimal. I have an Optiplex 160L (P4 1.8GHz, 512Mb, with onboard everything) that runs XP well with the Comodo/Avast combo.Comodo also has an antivirus program which you should avoid. It is, like Norton, McAfee or Trend, a serious system resource hog.

Guest LilBambi

Dark Serge, your computer should run any firewall/antivirus/antispyware combo with minimal impact compared with many other slower/with less memory computers out there that are running them all well enough, IMHO. ;)

I'm still trying to locate past articles about the owner of Comodo. He ran some adware/spyware in some of his products.
You will probably find it in the Comodo community forums. When the free anti-virus beta was released it came bundled with a 'launch pad' that, I heard, not only autochecked for updates to installed Comodo apps but also delivered prompts/ads for the paid Comodo services. Some said this qualified the Comodo anti-virus software as adware, not freeware, which is correct. I don't have a problem with that as I use Avast for real-time anti-virus protection. (Now if Avast keep prompting me to upgrade to the paid Professional version I would also consider it as adware, and I'll switch to AVG.)

Comodo also has an antivirus program which you should avoid.
I'm already using AVG for my antivirus, all I'm interested in is the firewall. Plus, I may recommend this firewall to a friend of mine as well. I already installed AVG for him.