Network Linux & Win XP

Rons

Hello again,Well I finally downloaded all of the fixes & updates for Mandrake 9.1. And it was slow going using a dialup connection. Last evening I enabled my Network adapter and was able to get the LAN working for Internet connection and email. That is as far as I got. Question?What can I use in Linux that would be similar to Network Neighborhood in Win XP?How do I Network drives?How do I Network printers? I have a HP Laserjet 1100 currently setup on a all XP Pro network using 4 computers and have added Linux as #5.Thanks in advance. :D

Hi Rons, Wow! you are sure getting into this quickly...that's great! :D Sorry that I am not too knowledgable in the "networking" field; perhaps Bruno, Ryan, Peachy, etc. will see this and give you more details. :D I did happen upon this site some time ago (for different reasons), but I think the info here will give a start:Network Neighborhood & LinuxGood fortune to you...glad that you're enjoying Linux. :D

Hi RonsGlad you did all the updates. So inportant !For most of those connections there should a wizard in the Mandrake Control Center.However due to a simple little bug in the installer they do not show up under the heading ¨servers¨ in the MCC.The solution is simple though: go to the MCC --> Software management --> add software and search for ¨drakwizard¨ and install it. Then close the MCC and start it again and it should be there.These are the wizards that will be added: ( Samba is the most interesting in your case )

* Section , "DHCP Server": your server will be able to dynamically assign IP addresses to new machines on the network;        *  Section , "Adding a DNS Entry": identifying static machines names and IPs inside your local network;        *  Section , "Domain Name Server": configuring name resolutions for machines outside the private network;        *  Section , "FTP server configuration": as for the web server configuration, you will be able to specify from where your FTP server should be reachable;        *  Section , "News Server configuration": you can make your server act as a local mirror of an external news server;        *  Section , "Postfix server configuration": configure your mail domain for sending and receiving mail from the outside;        *  Section , "Proxy Server Configuration": configuring your server to act as a Web proxy cache. This speeds up Web browsing while limiting the bandwidth on the Internet;        *  Section , "Samba Server Configuration": if the server is to act as a file or print server for Windows machines, this wizard will help you setup public shared files and printers, and announce their names to the Windows network;        *  Section , "Server Wizard": this wizard should be run first to initialize the basic services needed for your machine to act as a local server.        *  Section , "Time Configuration": your machine can also give time to other machines using the NTP protocol (Network Time Protocol); this wizard will help you configure this service.        *  Section , "Web Server Configuration": here you will be able to specify whether your web server will be reachable from the outside network, or from the internal network, or from both;
:( Bruno

Hi Bruno,Once again, thanks for the information.LOL - I must of tried this a dozen times or so and the search results found nothing. Then I noticed the spelling you used 'drakwizard' [no e] - and I was typing in 'drakewizard' ! :( Back to work to see what I can do on the network. Regards, Rons

Watch out Rons. A lot of the programs leave the e out of Drake. I find it easiest just to do a search for "Drak" or "wiz" or something short like that so I don't overlook it. If you choose the middle option on the install software it puts everything in alphabetical order so it is easy to find what you are looking for. Only one or two have defeated me this way! Keep it up! Isn't this fun?

Hi RonsI´m actualy one of the forums worst in spelling . . . . but with the names of programs I take extra care :( you could be installing the silliest programs if I did not :( :D !!:( Bruno

BrunoWe have to forgive you your misspellings! I can't spell in other languages very well. I can speak better than I can spell! I know you pull off amazing posts every day and strive for perfection but we are just pleased you post and help out so many! By the way, I was not going to tell you are English-spelling challenged! I keep secrets!

Hello again,Teacher: Good idea about using 'drak' or 'wiz' - I can see a benefit to that approach. And I did discover [after some trial and error] getting a complete listing of all programs. Bruno: And yes, thank you for all of your efforts. It is appreciated! B)

You´re welcome RonsDo call in again if you have more questions . .!Or just for a chat about Mandrake, my favorite distro. ;)If you want even more programs to show up in the MCC --> ¨install software¨: have a look Here the Tip about URPMI ( you have to be on-line to install with URPMI ! )B) Bruno

Hello again,Teacher: Good idea about using 'drak' or 'wiz' - I can see a benefit to that approach. And I did discover [after some trial and error] getting a complete listing of all programs. Bruno: And yes, thank you for all of efforts. It is appreciated!  B)
Glad to be of help. I discovered that was what worked best for me. First I go alphabetical then I go short parts of the words. Seems to get the job done right! B)

Rons,Short note just to complement the advice of Bruno and Julia: you can also add an "*" (without quotes) to search words, to get a realm of possibilities - some related, some not, all interesting. B)

Hi gang,OK - I got Samba setup up and the Linux PC is seen by the computers running Win XP.The HP Laserjet I am trying to connect to is located on the workgroup - called workgroup - and the printer is located on jackies1.I do a search for printers connected to Window system and it finds the printer as: hplasj/jackies1/mshome.net [i don't understand the mshome.net tag]But I can't print a test page or print from any program. Nothing happens.What am I doing wrong? :D Thanks again. Rons

Hi Rons,Don't know if this is your problem, but it might somehow help:

install lprng. fixed my problemDavid C., Sr. wrote:> I have a LaserJet 4 set up on a Linux server (Mandrake 7.1)> which works just fine printing from the server itself.> However, I cannont print from the Linux workstations> networked to the server.> I have the workstations named in both /etc/hosts.equiv> and the /etc/hosts.lpd files.> I have run lpd on the server with the -l option.> The syslog shows that the print job requests have been> received by the server, but no printing occurs.  The> lpq command on the server show \"no entries in queue.\"> I set up the workstations using the printtool, but> obviously, I\'m doing something wrong.> Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong,> or how to troubleshoot further would be deeply > appreciated.> Thanks,> David C., Sr.
Good fortune to you. :D

Hi gang,OK - I got Samba setup up and the Linux PC is seen by the computers running Win XP.The HP Laserjet I am trying to connect to is located on the workgroup - called workgroup - and the printer is located on jackies1.I do a search for printers connected to Window system and it finds the printer as:  hplasj/jackies1/mshome.net  [i don't understand the mshome.net tag]But I can't print a test page or print from any program. Nothing happens.What am I doing wrong? :) Thanks again. Rons
Hi RonsMy problem is I do not run any windows XP, nor Samba . . . only Linux :(, this is a problem I can not help you with. Probably Peachy and LilBambi know more about this.If you do net get an answer here, try posting in the ¨Security and Networking¨ section of the forum ( they both moderate that one too so it sure will be noticed. :D )Another tip is searching Google/Linux a special section only for Linux of the Google search.:( Bruno

Rons if you get it working please post what you did so others may learn -I'm going to be attempting the same thing here shortly - as soon as I pickup another ethernet card.

I´m surprised to hear that Rons, I thought samba would give you the tools to share a printer . . . . but you don´t seem the type to give up lightly, I wish you a bit more luck than you had uptill now. There must be a way ! ( wish I could help you :blink: ):( Bruno

Rons

I am still unable to get the printer to work on Windows
The funny thing is that all I read and can find is using Samba . . . but they do connect the printer to the Linux computer and share it with Windows, so the exact opposite of what you are tying to do. . . . . . ( or do I read the quote wrong ? )I found these pages ( you probably did find them too . )http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/SMB-HOWTO-9.htmlhttp://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/...amba-shares.htmhttp://www.google.com/linux?q=sharing+prin...-8&start=0&sa=N:blink: Bruno