Adobe Acrobat

JerryM

I have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat, and am using W XP Home SP2.I am not sure if I have ever tried to open a pdf document on this laptop, but today I learned that Adobe will not open, or at least that is what I think. When I attempt to open a pdf page, there is a blank page, and at the bottom says "done."I have turned off my AV, and then my firewall, but that did not help. The firewall shows it as allowed.What do you suggest that I do or where can I check to see why Adobe Acrobat does not work?Thanks,Jerry

Edited by JerryM

HI zlim,I was using Firefox. I looked at the referenced page, and it looked like I may not be smart enough to fix it by going into the registry. However, I did find I could open pdf with IE. I will look at the fix, and maybe I will give it a try.Maybe there is a setting in Firefox that will help. On my other computer there is no problem. Thanks,Jerry

You may want to try Foxit Reader 2.0 A great deal faster and less bloat. It can be downloaded from HERE
HI Gary,Thanks, I have tried Foxit a couple of times, but never got it to work. I may try it again as Adobe is slow.As it turns out in looking at Firefox plug ins I found that there is an Adobe 8.0. I uninstalled 7.--, and installed 8.0 and now I am able to open pdf documents with either browser. I appreciate the help.When I tried Foxit, it never opened even though I set it to default. Adobe still opened. No doubt I did something wrong, but I could never get it to work.Best,Jerry

When I tried Foxit, it never opened even though I set it to default. Adobe still opened. No doubt I did something wrong, but I could never get it to work.
You probably would have had to remove Adobe to get Foxit to work as designed.

When you type about:plugins in the address bar of FF do you see the Adobe Reader plugin? If not, that's your problem. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/With FF, I choose not to have something that is pdf open with Adobe so I've installed the extension pdf download https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/636/everytime I click on a pdf file when browsing, a box pops up and asks if I want to open or download it. I select download and then it opens with Foxit, my default pdf program.

...Adobe so I've installed the extension pdf download https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/636/everytime I click on a pdf file when browsing, a box pops up and asks if I want to open or download it. I select download and then it opens with Foxit, my default pdf program.
Indeed, the PDF Download extension is the bomb! B) I use an older version and refuse to update the Acrobat Reader to the "latest and the greatest"!The Acrobat Reader is a hog and a very annoying {IMHO} utility:*It is always wanting to update itself and wants to report home.*It also makes use of too many "plug ins" during the boot up cycle that truly slows itself down. Previously, there have been some tools that were made available to prevent it from calling home and to trim down the number of "plug ins" that it automatically boots with.

When you type about:plugins in the address bar of FF do you see the Adobe Reader plugin? If not, that's your problem. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/With FF, I choose not to have something that is pdf open with Adobe so I've installed the extension pdf download https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/636/everytime I click on a pdf file when browsing, a box pops up and asks if I want to open or download it. I select download and then it opens with Foxit, my default pdf program.
That is interesting, and yes I do see Adobe. Thanks,Jerry

Jerry

Adobe doesn't support multiple versions of Acrobat on the same computer. Because Acrobat and Reader work with many products, multiple versions simultaneously installed can lead to software conflicts and errors.
Nose around the troublesome computer and see if perhaps you might have more than 1 version installed.I know sometimes when I installed a CD (usually some sort of text book addon for my husband) it installed a version of Adobe on his computer.

errrrrrrrrrrr.....I have both Acrobat and the Reader in my system w/o problems!Maybe it is because I am using version7.09 of the reader.But using the FoxIt Reader, maybe a great option for those who have such problems, as discussed previously!

I use an older version and refuse to update the Acrobat Reader to the "latest and the greatest"!The Acrobat Reader is a hog and a very annoying {IMHO} utility:*It is always wanting to update itself and wants to report home.*It also makes use of too many "plug ins" during the boot up cycle that truly slows itself down. Previously, there have been some tools that were made available to prevent it from calling home and to trim down the number of "plug ins" that it automatically boots with.
Should you want to use an older version (back to v. 2) they are available, reasonably enough, at oldversion (www.oldversion.com). A program that reduces automatic plugins is Adobe Reader SpeedUp (www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk). I use Foxit, but if one uses Adobe Reader this markedly reduces bootup time.

Jerry Nose around the troublesome computer and see if perhaps you might have more than 1 version installed.I know sometimes when I installed a CD (usually some sort of text book addon for my husband) it installed a version of Adobe on his computer.
I did have both v5 and v7 installed. However, I elected to remove both, and install v8 and the problem is fixed. It is a little surprising that Adobe will install another version while leaving the older version on the machine.Thanks for the help.Jerry

Why will you NOT consider installing/using FoxIt?
I tired Foxit twice, and both times I was unable to make it work. I do not use Adobe very much, and am not willing to go to much trouble to circumvent it.I do appreciate the suggestions, however.Thanks,Jerry

I tired Foxit twice, and both times I was unable to make it work. I do not use Adobe very much, and am not willing to go to much trouble to circumvent it.I do appreciate the suggestions, however.Thanks,Jerry
I did have both v5 and v7 installed
Having two versions of Adobe installed and trying to run Foxit may have been the reason.Foxit is less than 5mb. Adobe is bloated and about 18 mb.

...plus it is the anti-establisment thing to do! :pirate:Similar to:*Using FireFox, or *Refusing to use WindowsMediaPlayer, or *Never installing QuickTime player, or *Not having anything to do to with RealMedia player, or *Admitting to have had an AOL account! B) But {of course} not as drastic as joining the Linux club or turning Mac! ;)

...plus it is the anti-establisment thing to do! :pirate:Similar to:*Using FireFox, or *Refusing to use WindowsMediaPlayer, or *Never installing QuickTime player, or *Not having anything to do to with RealMedia player, or *Admitting to have had an AOL account! B) But {of course} not as drastic as joining the Linux club or turning Mac! ;)
I tried Foxit before both were installed, but regardless, I don't want to fool with it at this time. I am not unhappy with Adobe, in spite of the fact that it is slow, since I do not use it that much.Thanks,Jerry

OK, I installed FoxIt reader, and set it to be the default. However, when I clicked on a PDF document, Adobe came up. That is what always happened, and so I see FoxIt as doing nothing. I only have Adobe 7.0 installed so it is not a situation of having two Adobe versions on my computer.What's wrong?? ;) Thanks,Jerry

Right click on a pdf document and select open with if foxit is listed, choose it. If foxit is not listed, go down to choose program. A box open up with all your programs. Find foxit in the list and put a check in the box that says, always open with this program.Open the foxit program and select help. Put a check at the first item, "Set to default pdf reader".

Right click on a pdf document and select open with if foxit is listed, choose it. If foxit is not listed, go down to choose program. A box open up with all your programs. Find foxit in the list and put a check in the box that says, always open with this program.Open the foxit program and select help. Put a check at the first item, "Set to default pdf reader".
I am on AV Comparatives. http://www.av-comparatives.org/I am not permitted to link further on the site, but if you will please go there, click on COMPARATIVES on the left side. That link goes to the reports. The reports are in PDF as well as plain text. I right click on the PDF/Report, but the dropdown does not have the options you mention. I understand that sometimes I am asked about some document what program I want to open with, but that option is not present as an option here.Obviously I am not understanding how this works, but I guess that has always been my problem with FoxIt.Hope you can, when you have time, go to AVC, and see what I am doing wrong.Added. It works with IE, but not with FireFox. Maybe that will help get to the bottom of the problem.Thanks,Jerry Edited by JerryM

Added. It works with IE, but not with FireFox. Maybe that will help get to the bottom of the problem.
I do not even see any PDF files on that site to open using Firefox. ;)

I am on AV Comparatives. http://www.av-comparatives.org/I am not permitted to link further on the site, but if you will please go there, click on COMPARATIVES on the left side. That link goes to the reports. The reports are in PDF as well as plain text. I right click on the PDF/Report, but the dropdown does not have the options you mention. I understand that sometimes I am asked about some document what program I want to open with, but that option is not present as an option here.Obviously I am not understanding how this works, but I guess that has always been my problem with FoxIt.Hope you can, when you have time, go to AVC, and see what I am doing wrong.Added. It works with IE, but not with FireFox. Maybe that will help get to the bottom of the problem.Thanks,Jerry
Jerry, I believe you will have to first download the file to disk and then follow the instructions posted by zlim, above.

I do not even see any PDF files on that site to open using Firefox. ;)
Hi Gary,The files are under the COMPARATIVES link. They then show as"August 2006 Online results / PDF (Zip) / Report."Online results are not PDF, but the other two are. Just for fun I compared the two PDF Readers opening the "Report" for August 2006. Using IE and Foxit it took 3 seconds to open.Using Firefox and Adobe 7.0 it took 0.469 seconds. I did the same for the Feb 2006 "Report."IE and Foxit - 2 secondsFirefox and Adobe - 0.797 secondsI like the page numbers shown on the left panel with Foxit that makes it easy to go directly to a certain page, but I am not finding it faster than Adobe. A couple of times the report did not open, and I had to try again with Foxit.Thanks,Jerry

Jerry, I believe you will have to first download the file to disk and then follow the instructions posted by zlim, above.
HI Charred,Maybe that is the problem, but it is much easier to just click on "Report" than to download and then open it. As you see from my last post Foxit is working with IE without downloading. However, I see no advantage to it as it is not faster. Thanks,Jerry

HI Charred,Maybe that is the problem, but it is much easier to just click on "Report" than to download and then open it. As you see from my last post Foxit is working with IE without downloading. However, I see no advantage to it as it is not faster. Thanks,Jerry
Perhaps if you follow the above instructions once you may be able to look at future PDF files your way. Good luck.

After locating the PDF file it took Firefox with Foxit less than .30 second to open it.The DL for Foxit is 1.8 mb.The File size for Adobe Acrobat is 19MB.The choice is obviously yours but I fail to understand why anyone would choose Adobe over Foxit. Both programs do the same thing. Adobes help file is larger than the entire Foxit program.

Jerry, stick with Adobe if you prefer it BUT don't dismiss Foxit. Some day you might just have a need to edit a pdf. You can with Foxit, you can't with Adobe unless you $$$ for a program.

Jerry, stick with Adobe if you prefer it BUT don't dismiss Foxit. Some day you might just have a need to edit a pdf. You can with Foxit, you can't with Adobe unless you $$$ for a program.
Thanks for the help. I intend to keep Foxit and it might be useful. At least this time I got it to work with IE.BestJerry